Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restart/ shutdown Problems with G-400 Max

Hi:
    I know many people are suffering the same problem with me, when I'm trying to restart or shutdown the win98, a freeze screen appear...

I tried all the method to fix it like D/l the shutdown supplement for windows upgrade, Try to disable the norton virus scan when shutting down the machine.
    (BUT I CANNOT FIND THIS OPTION IN MY NORTON AV 2000).

Also I CANNOT FIND THE disable option of fast shutdown in my windows 98 SE. I tried to access in the msconfig.exe , go to general and advance, but I CANNOT FIND THIS OPTION!!!!!

Any suggestion beside re- installing windows?

would PD5.41 give me some help?

Msconfig - General - Advanced - Disable fast shutdown (3rd option from the bottom).

Comment

Very good tip that GBM.
      Normally shut down problems are due to programs that are still open trying to find one can be a real pain in the butt.
      Sometimes however the culprits that cause this are real mode drivers in the config.sys plus memory managers. The easyway to check this is use the above program to disable them or just rename the files in question to old.
      Sometimes progs like fastfind can cause problems as well. It's also worth moving things out of startup to another folder and see if this helps out.
      Theres also loads of stuff about this at the microsoft web site.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You might want to try installing the latest drivers (5.41). I was having the same problem as you and tried EVERYTHING. I had problems with a clean install of Win98 - right after installing the video drivers (1st thing I installed), the machine wouldn't shut down.

I just installed the new drivers and now I'm not having the problem anymore.

Also, I can now use OGL for Half-Life. Before, it would lock up my machine. I didn't notice the slowdowns others have after installing the drivers.

Looks like the new video drivers are winners!
        PIII 550@605
        IWill Motherboard VD133
        VIA Chipset
        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
        G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
        DirectX 8.0a
        SB Live! Value
        8x DVD (Toshiba)
        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
        3Com CMX Cable Modem
        Optiquest V95 19"