Not every new driver is better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not every new driver is better!

Unbelievable but I still get the best results with the beta ICD. So check it out and you will see.

------------------
    Celeron 300A@450
    Asus P2B,G400 SH 32MB oc@150\200 128MB Cas2 PC100
    PIII 700@933 on Asus P3B-F, GF2 GTS, 512 MB Infineon

That should be rephrased.
    "Not every new driver is faster"

There are bug fixes, and added features that could qualify these as "better" drivers to many people. Not everyone lives by the FPS count alone, you know...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

And what are these fixes please ?

I'm stuck at work without my G400 :-(

------------------
      P2-350@392, ASUS P2B, 64 MB, G400 DualHead 32 meg (made in Ireland),SoundBlaster 128, Quantum Fireball EL 7.6, Optiquest V75
      P2-350@392, ASUS P2B, 64 MB, G400 DualHead 32 meg (made in Ireland),SoundBlaster 128, Quantum Fireball EL 7.6, Optiquest V75

Comment

Hey Marco, that may be true but the ICD in the 5.41.008 driver has better image quality and less bugs overall. And like Kruzin said some of us don't live and die by how many FPS we get in Q2.

andrei, Are you using OpenGL mode or D3D? Because in OpenGL Unreal and UT sucks on any card.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

If I see one more post concerning Unreal Tournament and Matrox drivers I am going to scream! Its a wonder of science that this game even RUNS in D3D, never mind run well. Please If YOU spend the time on the net YOU will find out that its the Game not the card. andrei i'm not raggin on you but just you and everyone else that think Matrox can fix UT with a Driver...hehehe
          Spend a little time over on the UT boards and you will see that Even the Nvidia crowd is freakin'. In fact the TNT/GeeForce crowd is having more problems than we with this title.

Het you guys remember when Matrox got the first Unreal patch to run in D3D with the G200? The TNT crowd was losing it! That was fun.

------------------
          PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!, Nokia 447Xi 17", and some fish

Comment

so you're the guys getting fragged while looking at the walls all the time!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA
            JIM

------------------
            PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100
            Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.41 & bios 1.5-22
            Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
            3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
            Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
            Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
            Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
            Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
            Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 01 December 1999).]
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Better image quality?? Who said that? These new drivers need some serious work to compete with the beta set. Not only are my 3D Mark scores lower, but UT is tearing like a mofo now (yes, it's in D3D) and is also slower. In addition, I popped up quake 2 for a 'looksee', and it looked like someone draped a brown sheet over my monitor. What the heck happened to the beautiful vivid colors I am so used to with my G400. It looks like crap! Finally, I can't even get Q3A to run!! Game goes to load, then pukes, leaving my screen with really wierd bright colors. Tearing seems quite evident in other games as well: Drakan, Rogues Spear, MW3...

...be forewarned...

System:
              Asus P3B
              P3 550 @632 MHz (peltier cooled)
              256 megs EMS PC133 SDRAM
              Matrox G400 Max
              Adaptec U2W SCSI
              Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18 gig
              Quantum Viking 2 U2W SCSI 4.5 gig
              Plextor 40X SCSI CD-ROM
              Yamaha 4416S SCSI CDRW
              Pioneer SCSI 6X DVD
              SCSI Zip
              Montego Home Studio (Montego 2)
              Sony 21" GDM F500

Comment

umm. Not so sure about OGL ICD quality here.. before I ran homeworld 1600x1200x32 and it was faast (wish all games were like this) but now it's totally messed. Refuses to run at 1600x1200, and at 1280x1024 I can't see anything but a tan screen and text. Of course d3d is nearly the same results (black screen and text at 1280x1024) but it was messed with 5.30 as well.

Also unreal tourmanemt must be running at less than 1/4 the speed it was with 5.30. I feel like I'm playing in a time warp now, before I got well over 30 fps easy, now it seems I get about 5.

Only bright spot is q3a, v1.09 broke the ogl for me, but it's working as well as 1.08 did with this new turbogl

Comment

"Also unreal tourmanemt must be running at less than 1/4 the speed it was with 5.30. I feel like I'm playing in a time warp now, before I got well over 30 fps easy, now it seems I get about 5."

Then there must be something wrong, because I just got through playing it at 1024x768x32bit, with all graphics option set to high, on my AMD K6-2/400 system, and I averaged over 30FPS.

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

LAMFDTK, the UTers say the texture problems in Unreal ARE caused by the drivers, NOT the game.

That's it! You and Tim Sweeny in the octagon, right here, right now! :-)

Ah, what the hell. If they don't work, I reinstall Winblows. No biggie.
                    The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Just installed the drivers and tried out Q3 Arena Demo, and UT. Both run a smooth as ever. Seems like they improved image quality, with little to no improvement in speed.

Like Joel said, I also get 30+ FPS in UT @ 1024x768 everything maxed. Looks awesome!!!

One note: I did enable timedemo in UT, and suddenly, everything was moving really slow. Had to re-start the level to get it back to normal.

PIII 500, 128 Meg, G400.

Comment

You are kidding right?

This is the Same Game right? Its a Modified Glide Application. right?

Belive what you will...

I just got done playing with no problem so I cant help you...800x600

Comment

Punchdog, it sounds like you had a funky install. You might want to run the uninstaller, install the standard VGA drivers, do a hunt for stray Matrox drivers and registry entries, delete them, and reinstall the new drivers using the setup program (as opposed to the inf).

The Quake3 problem you describe, at least with 5.30, is a known problem. When using TurboGL, you must enter the game in 800x600, 32-bit. That means you have to leave the game with those settings. Someone has posted a config file somewhere on the Gaming forum that can be used to reset the game. You can copy over your taint config file with it.

I suggest making a backup config file for emergency purposes like this.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Tried them out. They work the same, if not a little smoother, than the old drivers. But there are still some texture problems.

Oh well, no biggie. UT and HL work, and I'm happy.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                            The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Punchdog:

Ya gotta use Scytale's q3config.cfg file. Search the threads a week or two back for it. The only way Q3A runs on a G400 is if it's started in 800X600 w/32bit color. Once you get it, remember to save your configuration, or it'll screw itself up again the next time you open it.

Comment

Working...
                              X