found a (partial) fix for g200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found a (partial) fix for g200

Change the registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Matrox\PowerDesk\Versi on5\CurrentSettings\PDEnable from "01 00 00 00" to "00 00 00 00". This will keep pdesk from automatically reloading itself. Make sure you have it disabled at start up, either with the sysinfo tool (in Win98) or the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run and delete the pdesk reference. 3DMark scores are nearly identical to what I was getting with 5.25, there is still a little bit more stuttering with 5.41, can't really tell a difference in visual quality. If there is no dif in Quake (haven't checked yet), I will be going back to 5.25. Thought I'd let you all know.

------------------
    I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

It won't let me post an edit ("document contains no data"), so let's try this:
    edit: if you want to modify the install.inf file to keep it from doing this in the first place, it looks as if they have added an HKLM string to the end of the AR1 section of the .inf file for it. Just change the value there to "00 00 00 00" prior to running setup. You can also remark out / delete the pdesk /autolaunch string in the same place. That way, it is up and running the way it is supposed to as soon as you install
    "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Feel stupid to keep posting replies to my own thread, but it won't let me edit! Anyway, frame rates were about the same as with 5.25, but - no stuttering in opengl, seems to be limited to d3d, and there is an improvement in visual quality in opengl. It's subtle, I don't think I can really put my finger on it, but Quake2 does look better - more vivid, or something. And running the card at 240MHz to run the timedemos does not produce the "spotting" it did with 5.25. Not sure what to make of that, but there it is.

------------------
      I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

Comment

Hate having to disable Pdesk...is good for tracking icons for me. I uninstalled 5.41 and went back to 5.30 on my BX system. My VIA-AMD system is stuck at 5.25. Wish I knew what is going on.

Comment

I have tried this fix but it does not work for me, I turned off powerdesk and it doesn't seem to have any effect, I also modified my registary settings as suggested but I am still getting stuttering in Q3 and Q2. I have gone back to the 5.30 drivers which give me no problems but the new drivers seem much much faster in between stutters and I am getting an increase in frame rate even with the stutters so i'd really like to get them working, any other ideas ???

Fyrespray

------------------
          Celery 366 @ 550,Abit BM6, 128Mb PC100 Ram, G200 8Mb, AWE64 Gold, Win98SE.

Fyrespray

http://www.ukgamer.com
          http://www.ukgamer.com/columns.php3?author=9

Comment

I've been messing about and i have finally managed to get the new drivers working on my compy witout any stuttering. What i did was extract the setup files as normal then right click on my computer->properties->display adaptors->G200 and then updated the drivers from there using windows. They now seem to work fine i have got an increase in FPS and Q3 looks even better than it did before. I guess there is something wrong with the setup program they have included with the new drivers. Hope that helps fix the problems other ppl are having.

Fyrespray

------------------
            Celery 366 @ 550,Abit BM6, 128Mb PC100 Ram, G200 8Mb, AWE64 Gold, Win98SE.

Fyrespray

http://www.ukgamer.com
            http://www.ukgamer.com/columns.php3?author=9

Comment

I experienced the stuttering problem too, but it went away after upgrading my soundcard drivers (!?!!) to Liveware 3.0.

--
              Millenium G200 SD PCI, ASUS T2P4, Sblive Value, AMD K6-3 400, 64 MB

[This message has been edited by GlowStars (edited 02 December 1999).]
              Still using a G200 PCI...

Comment

Since Haig is on vacation this week, there might not be anyone (Matrox person) reading the forums this week.

Perhaps us G200 owners would get an "official" fix more quickly if we all submit the problem to the tech support...
                http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/...quest_form.htm

Comment

Fryespray, you are a genius - thanks for reminding me to try the simple stuff first. Simply use the older version of Powerdesk with the new drivers - I had to do that with 4.51 on my SD. And it is a new version of Powerdesk over 5.3, it is what is causing the problem (intense CPU usage). Together with some bugs in the setup routine, the release could use some fixing.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X