5.41 and G200 wierdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.41 and G200 wierdness

Okay, since someone else seemed to get their G200 to work with the new drivers, I gave it a shot. Installed fine and whatnot. D3D and OGL works, so that is fixed from 5.3, and it looks even better than my 5.25 drivers

HOWEVER, the powersedk program (pdesk.exe) is using up 20% of my cpu time for some reason. If I kill the process, it goes away, however when it starts up again, it sucks down 20% again, making games and everything run choppy. So I'm back to 5.25 drivers now since those are stable, unless anyone has some ideas? Please? I want to use these drivers.. they look great!

Oh, incase anyone wanted to know, here are some system specs.

AMD K6-3 450 @ 504
    Epox MVP3G-M mobo
    256mb pc-133 sdram
    G200 alone on irq11

Never had anything like this happen before. I tried forcing agp1x incase that was the problem, but didn't change it, so I'm running at 2x with 5.25 again.

Comment

I haven't tried the drivers yet, but have you checked if some stuff is set to automatic like Windows positions.

Also, do you happend to run other small programs in your taskbar? I used to have a problem with Realplayer sucking my CPU time when I wasn't connected to the internet.

Also, what program did you use to see the 20% CPU usage? Such programs use some CPU time too.

------------------
      Cya,
      J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
      ASUS P2B-LS, P2-266, 128MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.25), Nothing O/C.
      Running Windows 98SE & Redhat Linux 6.1

Cya,
      J.

"Unix can be a cynical Operating System for a person whos mind is limited to a Windows user interface"

System specs:
      AMD Athlon 600mhz, OEM FIC SD11, 192MB RAM, Matrox Millenium G200 (PD5.41), Nothing O/C.
      Running Windows 98SE & Linux Mandrake 7

Comment

I just have some normal stuff runnign in the taskbar. Virusscanner, icq, CPUidle, novell driver tab. Since cpu idle reports processor idle time, I noticed that it was running at around 78% instead of the normal 99% idle. I also used Taskinfo to see what processes are running, and saw pdesk.exe using around 20%. I tried disabling everything on startup so I only had critical drivers and nothing in the system tray, with the same results.
        As for windows settings, I don't have pdesk set to save positions or anything. The only new thing I saw in the settings were for the "Use hardware mouse" thing. I haven't tried changing that one.

Anyone with any more ideas?

Comment

In the same boat as you rylan, pretty close to the same set-up, except for only 196MB RAM and a G200 SD. Frames stutter so bad as to make the drivers useless. 3DMark score went down by about 10%, as did the synthetic CPU bench and game frame rates. I hadn't noticed that pdesk was automatically loading 'til I saw your post. That is damn annoying. In my D3D settings, I have everything turned off except triple buffering. I don't have pdesk load on start-up, and all the display related options (save positions, etc.) are disabled. Would like to figure this out too. Any of you geniuses that love to hack this stuff apart find a fix, please let us know. I'll try it myself, but don't hold out too much hope of finding a fix myself... Short of tearing apart the registry and modifying the .inf file, I'll be at a loss.

------------------
          I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

There is absolutely something wrong with new powerdesk. My friends computer (G400) pauses every 2 seconds after I installed 5.41 drivers. I replaced 5.41 pdesk.exe with 5.30 one and now it works. Strange...

Micko

Comment

No problems at all w/ 5.41. In fact I'm smooth as glass. Weird.

Comment

This is weird, 'cause in my computer new drivers work just fine, but in my friends computer not...STRANGE

Micko

Comment

No problems here either,so far I think these are the best G200 drivers yet.

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="1" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                  <font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>sixpac</strong></em></font></marquee>

------------------
                  Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound
                  Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

I've been messing about and i have finally managed to get the new drivers working on my compy witout any stuttering. What i did was extract the setup files as normal then right click on my computer->properties->display adaptors->G200 and then updated the drivers from there using windows. They now seem to work fine i have got an increase in FPS and Q3 looks even better than it did before. I guess there is something wrong with the setup program they have included with the new drivers. Hope that helps fix the problems other ppl are having.

Fyrespray

------------------
                    Celery 366 @ 550,Abit BM6, 128Mb PC100 Ram, G200 8Mb, AWE64 Gold, Win98SE.

Fyrespray

http://www.ukgamer.com
                    http://www.ukgamer.com/columns.php3?author=9

Comment

Since Haig is on vacation this week, there might not be anyone (Matrox person) reading the forums this week.

Perhaps us G200 owners would get an "official" fix more quickly if we all submit the problem to the tech support...
                      http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/...quest_form.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X