• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay whats been fixed in 5.41

Does anyone know?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Dunno what's been fixed in 5.41 (Q3 green transparency boxes have been fixed atleast) but I can tell what's not fixed.

1. GLQuake/GLQW dynamic lights and rainbow textures.

2. Stuttering in ANY D3D or OGL application.

3. 3DMark99 Max (demo version) still has bad performance hits in the waterfall effect and in the armageddon effect. Also 8 and 16 meg texture rendering tests are slow. Probably because the drivers don't support texturing directly from AGP memory.

4. Very ugly dithering in 16 bit modes. Quake 2 and gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST illustrates it best when near wall.

I'll be installing Linux and checking out the GLX project because they have been able to beat Matrox Windows drivers performance in lower resolutions and when they get multitexture working they will be also faster in higher resolutions. It's amazing that the GLX projects coders have been able to produce better and faster drivers in less time than Matrox have.

-Tumu

------------------
    Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
    64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
    PD5.41, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
    Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
    64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
    Win98 finnish

Comment

Well, 5.41 is the best drivers i've ever owned now... It's neck and neck with beta ICD speeds and it fixed those darn bugs in Q3test...

for example, before the tourney level's chrome effects on the center pole were waaaay too bright, now they look just fine.

also the textures placed on the ground right under a gun is fixed, those used to stick out, now they blend in.

i gotta say that i'm happy with the new drivers

Comment

re: linux glx project doing better than windows. WOW. I was running the mga glx from cvs circa october and it was slow. in q3 i was getting between a third and a half of my performance using the turboGL drivers in win98. I'll have to check it out.

cph

Comment

I installed 5.41 over 5.30 OK and installed the TurboGL driver. It found Half Life and Q3Test but said my TurboGL driver was already up to date (from the 5.30 install)!!

Also if I click on TurboGL Manager in Powerdesk it informs me that I can't use this function with this version of Powerdesk and to install the version that came with my TurboGL. This also happened with 5.30 which was installed cleanly on a fresh Win98 install.

Odd

PIII 450, Abit BX6 2.02, 256MB PC100 RAM, IBM 10.1GB HD, G400 DH 32MB Vanilla, SB Live, Maxi Studio ISIS, Win98

------------------

Comment

Tumu:

After upgrading to PD5.41 I experienced
            severe stuttering under D3D, OGL and W98 in general - the problem went away after upgrading my soundcard drivers (!?!!).
            Still using a G200 PCI...

Comment

I found D3D much improved. However Unreal opengl is even worse Turbo GL loads of tearing standard opengl tearing (less) crashes etc.
              Prob combo of crappy game and slighlty dodgy drivers. So it was back to d3d in that game.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X