Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FRUSTRATION. No higher than 40fps in Quake2 w/ G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRUSTRATION. No higher than 40fps in Quake2 w/ G400?

I just bout a G400 32meg dual head and cant seem to get anything higher than 37-39 fps in Quake 2 set at 1024x768. Web sites all over the net are posting 55-69 fps!
    My systems is as follows
    AMD K6 III 400mhz w/3DNow
    Epox MVP3G-M
    128 pc 100 RAM
    8.4WD hardrive UDM ATA 33
    My board allows me to synch either the RAM or the AGP slot to the system bus. I synched my RAM
    Bios settings are all that "shadow" stuff disabled
    I have downloaded the new Power desk drivers "5.30" after uninstalling the old drivers
    Installed the tweak utility for the G400
    I have tried over clocking and not
    Direct3D V-Synch disabled
    Using 3DNow (checked)
    I am using the 3DNow optimized gl driver for Quake II
    Am I missing something besides 20 extra frames per second?
    #####
    day 2
    #####
    I tried a lot last night to try and figure out why I was maxing out at around 40 fps in Quake2.
    I went through a crap load of settings last night:
    -I Disabled shadowing and enable caching on all options in my bios
    -I tried changing my desktop res to 800x600 16 bit.
    -I tried using tweak3d's "autoexec builder" to optimize the Quake2 autoexec.cfg
    -I even changed the res at which I play Quake2 at to 320 x 200!!! and still I max at 43 fps.
    -I have matrox's tweak utility which lets me
    disable V-Synch for Direct3D.
    I think I just had a revelation! V-synch for Direct3D is disabled with the tweak utility but Quake2 doesn't use Direct3D!!! Maybe that's it.
    Ok how do I make sure that my v-Synch is disabled for openGl in Quake2??

Am I off track? Can you spare enough time to help me with this?

Did you try turning on busmastering.
    I noticed in WinNT this increases 3D performance by over 50% in some areas of Quake II.

Comment

I believe your limitation factor is your CPU.
      Turbo GL drivers do not work with K6III and therefore you get those framerate. I have celeron 400 o.c. 450 and I get about 56 FPS in 1024*768*32, without TurboGL. Try downloading newest drivers, and prey that they have better 3DNOW support. If no, I would recomend that you buy celeron or much better (and expensive) P3 or K7. On P3 TurboGL works and give you boost from 30 to 70(!) percent in OGL games. On the other hand, matrox promise that TurboGL will sometime work on slower CPU. We shall see.

Comment

You seem to be comparing your G400 vanilla with your K6-III with reviewers that are using a MAX card and at a minimum a PII or PIII... you will indeed get slower results with you CPU/Configuration...

Comment

On my AMD K6-2/400 system at 1024x768x32bit with all graphic options set to max, I get ~37fps.

Joel

------------------
          System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Thanks guys... I just played UT demo and with everything set to high and running at 1024 at 32bit Im averaging 47+ fps not bad?

Comment

Hey Joel!

I have the same system and you are telling me that thats all we are going to get for FPS?...................i really thought that this card was capable of more???....i didnt believe that we would have a CPU config problem now! ..............(Cant Win!)

Although it sure looks sweet!

Comment

I get 127fps @640x480 and 59 @1280x960

------------------
                PIII450@558 256RAM G400MAX SBLIVE
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

How fast does the CPU have to be to make it not the limmiting factor?
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It's not the CPU speed but k6/mobo combo that is not the fastest...

Comment

If where talking demos like demo1.dm2 then it is probably CPU limitation, but if it's just gameplay and timerefresh'ing FPS then you should be getting much more. I have a K6-2/333 with 64 Mb RAM and a G400 vanilla 16 meg and i get around 60 FPS (I don't use the special 3Dnow QuakeGL).

And by the way, I don't use MGATweak and haven't made any changes to my BIOS settings.

Think I have a pretty good clue as to what your problem might be ! Could be that v-sync is enabled (shouldn't be though, but it's worth a try). Download the reghacks at MURC and use the one that forces V-sync off. Hope that helps

Torben R.

[This message has been edited by Rohde (edited 02 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rohde (edited 02 December 1999).]
                      G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

I don't know why everyone is having such a frame rate problem here. I have a measly old pentium II @ 300mhz, with 64 mb ram. I have seen frame rates anywhere from 113 - 220 depending on my internet connection, the server i'm on , number of players, etc. usually, if i just set myself up as a server with no other players and do a timerefresh from the console i get >100 fps , resolution is 800 x 600 , 32 bit color. there is a minimal decrease in fps if i increase to 1024 x 768. Rob_b
                        pentium III @550mhz
                        intel 440BX pci chipset
                        512mb memory, g400max,
                        cybervision C70 monitor
                        win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

Working...
                        X