Haig - MAX DVD Problem - Tech support History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig - MAX DVD Problem - Tech support History

Haig - I purchased one of the first available MAXs and about that time I reported a problem with DVD playback to tech support (Alex). They initially worked with me to solve the problem, but I have not heard from them in months (since August).

Here is the issue, for historical purposes:

My MAX plays DVDs on my monitor with alot of flicker in the image. The card's DVD output flickers on two totally different computers (ABIT BX6-2 and Dell XPS-R450) and a G200 with DVD card doesn't flicker with either computer. I have the latest drivers and BIOS for the MAX. The flicker dissapears on both the monitor and TV with a TV attached using DVDmax. They have reportedly reproduced this problem in Tech Support. (Tech Support knew me as the Terminator guy, because I used that movie to test the problem. It the problem occurs with all movies.)

Thanks for any update.

Brian Rogers
    S/N ABY59781

See also http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006210.html

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 27 November 1999).]

What colour depth are you running your desktop at, I had a flickering problem with DVD playback on screen and on TV out.

The problem seemed to be with the colour depth, I had it set to 24bit. When I changed it to 32 bit colour depth DVD playback seemed to work fine.

This is using DVD player from Matrox, and a 32m g400 max.

Comment

Brian,

Have you tried reverting to 1X with the registry hacks to see if it would help?

Z

Comment

This problem is independent of color depth. I have tried all common configurations (resolution x bpp) with no effect. The only way to get it to quit is to attach a TV.

The change to 1x AGP has no effect. Actually, my board is default 1x AGP. I have forced 2x normally. Anyway, since I forgot to include my configuration, here it is:

Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 November 1999).]

Comment

up

Comment

Are you using the latest drivers for your Vortex card directly from Aureal?

Comment

No, I haven't updated the MX-300 drivers. Is there a known compatability problem with the G400 or Cinemaster? This problem also occurs with the G400 installed in a Dell XPS-R450 containing an SBLive. I think we've pretty much narrowed the problem to the G400 video card or the associated drivers or DVD software.

I am downloading the updated drivers now and will install them. Hope they help, but I'm not expecting success.

Thanks for the reminder.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 November 1999).]

Comment

Unfortunately, switching over to the Aureal Vortex drivers means loosing you're Monster Sound apps (Audio Mixer, et.al.) While "Diamond anticipates having update drivers", they do not provide any dates. Wouldn't hold you're breath.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I don't use them anyway. If I find a need in the future, I'll just reinstall the Diamond drivers. (...sounds easy..)

Comment

Have you tried other softDVD program with you G400 such as PowerDvD, winDVD, etc... It would be nice to narrow it down to Hardware or Software...

Comment

No, I haven't tried any other DVD software. I just ordered WinDVD. Should get it tomorrow or the next day. It would be nice to free up a PCI slot by getting rid of the Dxr3 card.

Comment

I had the same problem as you when I first installed my card flicker on the monitor but not with a TV attached. Seems like it went away with the 5.30 drivers though

Comment

I never use the Diamond MX300 drivers, even the latest update for them on their web site is approaching a year old now. Aureal has suggested that they will have EAX drivers out in Dec, but they are pulling an NVIDIA on that issue.

I found WinDVD to be the best to use, it does quad output (software) and LFE, much better sound than PowerDVD's quad output. I'm waiting for the Matrox update to Cinemaster though, if it does quad sound I'll be content, plain stereo is just annoying.

Comment

Haig - where are you? Don't you visit us anymore?

Comment

Haig is on vacation this week.
                              (is it just me, or does that guy get about 20 weeks a year off? )
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X