No announcement yet.

G400-MAX and Voodoo-2 SLI compatabily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400-MAX and Voodoo-2 SLI compatabily?

Does anyone have this combo?
    I have an old Riva-128 card with an Obsidian-X24 (two voodoo2-12meg board in one, aka SLI), Win98-SE, DirectX 6.1, P3-450 on a P3B-F mainboard.
    I'd like to upgrade my primary card to a
    G-400 Max, I plan on using the dual head function for DVD and continue to use my Voodoo2 SLI for the games that support 3DFx-Glide API.
    Are there any known problems with the G400 drivers and a Voodoo2 drivers conflicting?
    I was told that when you install two video cards that support the same API (D3D and OpenGL), windows will use the card that was installed last.
    If that's true I should be able to run 3DFx-Glide on the Voodoo2 and D3D and OpenGL on the Max.
    Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi amauri,

I am using both a G400 MAX and the Obsidian2 X-24 in my system with no problems except that the Turbo ICD still won't work with any V2 drivers in the system. I have the G400 MAX on a BNC cable and the Obsidian card on the 15 pin D-SUB cable.

Paul

------------------
    P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Im suprised to see one person owning an Obsidian, let alone two people!!! Yikes! They are still trying to sell those things at my local CompUSA for $500! And they have them sitting right next to an CL Anilator for $250. LOL

------------------
      </list>
      PIII 450 @ 464
      generic BX6 motherboard
      G400 MAX : )
      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
      Creative 36x CD-ROM
      HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
      64 megs PC100 RAM
      Intel 10/100
      Soundblaster 32 AWE
      DiamondMAX 56k
      Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
      4 large fans.

Comment

Thanks ALBPM,
        Does that mean that I should not install the TurboGL drivers?
        The games I play are mostly 3DFx-Glide and D3D but OpenGL support may be needed at some point.
        Also, I read in the Quantum3D support site that Voodoo2 does not support DirectX-7, do you know anything about that?

Comment

I got two from Best Buy a couple of months ago for $49.95 each, called all my friends and cleaned out all the stores in my area.
          They really are awsome cards, excellent image quality. But not for $500 though.

Comment

You should *NOT* install the TurboGL if you're going to keep the Voodoo2 in your machine. And if you're playing a lot of Glide games, it's probably a good idea to keep it there for a little while longer. The regular Matrox ICD is in pretty good shape and may very well meet your needs.

I'm not sure about Obsidian support for DirectX 7, but you could use the G400 for that. (Sooner or later, I'm sure it will.)

Now flush that Riva-128 down the toilet.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

RIVA TRASHING PARTY...WOOHOO!
              JIM

------------------
              PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
              128mb pc-100
              Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak-410mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
              Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
              SB Live!
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
              3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
              Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
              Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
              Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
              Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
              Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
              Epox 8K7A
              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
              SBLIVE 5.1
              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
              3Com Hardware Modem
              Teac 20/10/40 burner
              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Hi amauri,

Ya, don't check the option to load the Turbo ICD when you intall the 5.30(latest driver). If it does all you need to do is remove the openGl.dll file that it puts in your game directories.

$500.00 Holy Smokes!!! You can even order them from Quantum3d for less than that

It is a great card though. I can get between 113 and 117 FPS in Quake2 Timedemo1 at 640X460 with the 6C drivers.

I'm the only one of the Beta Boyz that still keeps a V2 setup in their system. Such sacrifices...Heheheh... and I'm still whining about making the Turbo work with the V2 cards

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 30 November 1999).]
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                X