The cost of video these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cost of video these days...

Just a quick thought, as I bought a new g400 dh yesterday, which I am really tickled with so far.

I paid $179US for a boxed card. That falls into what I would call my comfort zone. Over 200 is starting to get a little wild. I could have had a marvel g400 for 270, which I really did consider, since I want the vid edit eventually, and that does add 100 in value. The rub was the card was 16MB.

What seems weird these days, though, is the way cards are priced. The 200 mark for awhile was the high end for a 2d/3d card. Then they would slide down in price, eventually being replaced at the high end by a new 200 card.

Lately, cards have been holding value. The g200 I bout for 100-110 a year ago still fetches about 100, except at the very cheapest online sites.

The truth is, I'm glad there is someone building $600 quad Voodoo4 cards with external power supplies. If someone has the scratch, and wants to buy something like that, they should have the option.

What concerns me, is that the 200 price point may stagnate. The GeForce card may hit this price, but when the DDR versions come out, unless there is a shift in mem prices, it will be quite a bit more.

The bottom line is, I got exactly what I would have hoped in my G400 DH 32, great image, dual monitor, and a card that plays the occasional 3dgame exceptionally well. And, at 179, I consider it a good price.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Reasonable post, but it really belongs in the Soap box forum...so that's where you all can find it
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X