X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ICD would be cool...

Hi folks,
    I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but since I want Matrox to support its hardware, my message ended up here.
    I was reading over on Slashdot that nVidia plans on having a full ICD out for Linux by the end of the year.
    Now if this is true, I wish Matrox would do the same, or at least put more support towards the GLX project. I'm going to put a nice Athlon rig together for myself, and I was hoping that there would be a G400 in there, but things aren't looking good.
    No real Linux support, and no G400's online at reasonable prices (no, I never consider an MSRP reasonable).
    I'm starting to see a GeForce in my future, and also other people who see the same things I do.
    Matrox? Are either of these things going to look better soon?

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

check www.pricescan.com g400 SH 32 meg non max for 140.00 www.pricewatch.com probably lower than that

------------------
    ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
    <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
    </A>

Comment

And take it to the Soap Box Forum while your at it.

Joel

Who's tried of listening to everyone bitch, moan, and complain because Matrox isn't perfect or isn't hypeing things like nVidia.
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

ROTFL. Don't worry Joel, the way Matrox is going, there won't be any customers left to make posts you deem inappropriate to this forum. "Matrox isn't perfect" Yeah, that's the understatement of the decade. And I'm sure the only difference between NVidia and Matrox is the fact that NVidia "hypes everything". Matrox couldn't be any more imperfect if they tried.

Comment

I really don't think this belongs in the soap box. It isn't about banners, or story lines. It's a bout a Matrox product. Seems like a legitimate comment to me.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This has nothing to do with how perfect or imperfect Matrox is. This thread should be in the Soapbox forum. If it was a technical question about Video Tools, it would be equally inappropriate for this particular forum. There has been one genuine rant about Matrox (that I've read) on the Soapbox forum and nobody complained about it.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It would have been "a legitimate comment" if you had of just stuck to asking if Matrox was developing Linux drivers, but instead you had to start going on about nVidia, a Gspot in your future, No real Linux support, and no G400's online at reasonable prices, which IMO belongs in the soap box forum.

I don't understand why you and Filmgeek have to act like such ****oles everytime y'all come into this forum. It is also amazing that you two seem to always show up at the same time, to post the same shit, in the same threads. Just an observation.

Joel

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

Why should Matrox expend resources to Linux OGL? Just because Nvdia is doing it? That's just more of their marketing hype. I have little doubt the driver they turn out will be sub-par compared to openly developed drivers.

The GLX projects is well underway, and will most likely turn out a better end product for Linux than the Windows programmers at Matrox could. And Matrox probably knows that. If they did put programmers on such a project, it would be a waste of their resources, since in the end everyone would just use GLX anyway (which Matrox has contirbuted to by releasing necessary specs on the card)...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Joel,

Matrox is the one who's acting like an ****ole, not me. But go ahead, call me names, that's what this forum is for, after all, spreading the love. I only respond to posts like yours because you would defend Matrox if they were selling anthrax in a box. Good God, just because NVidia is doing something doesn't mean it's a bad idea. But that concept seems foreign to you and Matrox.

But I do agree that Matrox shouldn't bother with Linux drivers. Matrox doesn't have the resources to do anything right, let alone a surplus of resources to do things like Linux drivers.

[This message has been edited by Filmgeek (edited 27 November 1999).]

Comment

I didn't say you were an ****ole. I just said you were acting like one, but if the shoe fits....

BTW It wasn't me who said anything about Matrox resources in working on Linux drivers. And when the time is right and Matrox feels like it is in their best interest I am sure they will support it just like the next guy. Whether you realize this or not, we as over the counter consumers are a very small part of Matrox overall market and as such so is Linux.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

how much is that Matrox anthrax in a box? Have they released any drivers for it?
                      1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                      Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                      Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Yes, there are drivers for the Anthrax, but they're for Windows 98 only, and they're not compatible with the Marvels (you only get a little sick). If you're running Windows 2000 you're completely immune.

The Anthrax will feature extreme bump mapping (hemorrhaging bumps to be exact!)

As always, the Matrox Anthrax is available exclusively at the Matrox Online Store at an everday low price!

[This message has been edited by Filmgeek (edited 27 November 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                        X