WIN 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN 2000

Is there any way of installing the opengl and/or d3d support for the G400 under windows 2000 ...i tried to install the nt drivers and it didn't work...
    i really want to make it work because the 2000 is really working very good in my machine..i can say it's faster than the win98 SE and very stable too...but the G400 is the only thing that makes me use the win98..even my sounblaster live works...
    a

This question comes up so often that an automated reply or FAQ would have to read: "If you are using Windows 2000 buy a card from another manufacturer... Any card but a Matrox card."

Comment

OR just wait with 2D until Win2k is, like, released., Or matrox release some drivers.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

People like Ashley post irrelevant G400/Win2k combo bashing so often there should be an automated reply:

- IT'S A BETA OS. COPE.
        - The drivers exist but you haven't got them because... they're BETA.
        - The full ICD some of us have been playing with will be released SOON.

SHEESH.

- Ash
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm waiting here too. I know all the reasons why the drivers aren't released yet but it's hard to be patient when the OS seems so damn good. Win98 is heading for the trash bin as soon as Matrox releases D3D and OpenGL drivers that work.

That would be a nice Christmas gift.(hint hint)

Comment

Allan, while drivers do exist with OpenGL and D3D support for other boards, they are typically hacks and leaks, and I have found serious bugs with many of them.

You might at least consider a dual boot until we start seeing real, fully functional drivers from board makers.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 24 November 1999).]

Comment

hey..i didn't say i have a problem with matrox...i'm using matrox cards sinde the mystique and i'm not planning to change now...but if there are drivers with support 3d right now...why don't the put them in the download page and let us users decide if we us it or not...win2000 is really working well and the only thing keeping me of using this os are the display drivers....if someone has the drivers please send it to me by mail or something..

Comment

There's been some disagreement about Matrox's responsibilities to W2K users while the OS is in beta, and it's become a touchy subject.

I'd still go with the dual boot for a little while. I can't help but get the feeling that all driver issues will not be resolved simply because it's February and the magic day has arrived.

All though you never know. People with access to the beta seem to like it.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I have a novel idea. Matrox should setup a special website with an open invitation for beta testing with daily builds of drivers so that we can get some more test coverage and get these drivers finished. They could even have the webpage with a standard reporting form for bug filing, tracking, exact repro steps, etc. And w2k is coming upon us very fast. We are looking at only 3 more weeks approx. till RTM. Check zdnet for latest dates.

------------------
                  Get Paid to Surf the Web! <A HREF="http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
                  " TARGET=_blank>http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=CBM-295
                  </A>
                  Asus K7V
                  Athlon 700
                  128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                  Matrox Millennium g400max
                  Adaptec 2940U2W
                  IBM 9gb U2W
                  Plextor 8/20 cdr
                  Diamond MX300
                  3com 905b-tx

Comment

Gurm, W2k is not a beta OS, and hasn't been for months. It is a Release Candidate which means that the API and feature set is locked, so developers can work without worrying about changes breaking their code. It is not 100% bug free, but the shipping version won't be either.

Our Windows 2000 certification was done on RC1, MS wouldn't do that unless the OS was in a completed state.

Do you know if Matrox intends to relase the drivers at RTM or 17th Feb? There will an awful lot of OEMs jerked off with them if they can't build and test systems prior to launch.

Paul

Comment

Can you buy Win2k, the final product, the one that will be in the boxes when the OS finally ships? The one that comes with end-user support?

No.

Therefore, it is NOT a released OS. No end-users should be using it, unless that end-user is a beta tester. No one should EXPECT a company to provide drivers for it. Why you all expect Matrox to provide you drivers makes no sense.

If the OEM is big enough, I would expect that they have a relationship with Matrox permitting them access to the beta drivers, a la the beta testers that post in this forum.

I know people who had RC1 of Win98. It was not the same as the final OS. Obviously, a Release Canidate is just that - a Release Canidate, not a released OS.
                      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Gurm, There was no bashing in what I said. Only a moron chooses their operating system based on the graphics card they have. I repeat: if you are using W2K, use another card.

That just makes more sense than your "If you have a G400, use a different operating system."

Comment

Just as a side note, is there any benefit of W2K over Win98 for a standalone home computer used for surfing the web, Office 2000 and playing 3D games of coarse!

------------------
                          Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Maniac,

If you don't have any stability problems with 98 then there probably isn't any compelling reason to change to Win2K. Windows 95 and 98 do tend to corrupt themselves over time, usually requiring a reload once every 12 months or so, and they can also become unstable unless they are rebooted fairly often (once a day is enough).
                            NT doesn't have those problems.

Maybe just wait until something goes wrong, or you buy a new computer, and look at Windows 2000 then.

Paul

Comment

Patience, you'll most likely see an updated Win 2000 driver release by next week or so.</a> By this time I would expect an ICD and DH capabilities.</a>

And I heard that they are considering a name change for Win 2000. They will just call it Win Oh-Oh.</a>
                              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                              Matrox P
                              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                              X