g400-max PROBLEMS.. MORE PROBLEMS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400-max PROBLEMS.. MORE PROBLEMS!!!

Hi! I have a series of problems by using g400 max daul head , with my system.
    I have my G400 max installed for 4 weeks already, and it seems unstable (only somtimes).

I found my systems hang and got kicked out from the games to the desktop. (e.g. in the middle of nhl2000;
    fifa2000 and nba2000 and more.)

Then I found out that my g400 max frame rate is slower than my friend's TNT2 (non-ultra) when playing the NBA 2000 with 600X800 resolution!

Then I found out in WCPUID my g400 max is running at AGP-1X speed instead of 2X.
    I'm using the magicpro MP-6VIP-G motherboard and the main board WAS ENABLED WITH AGP 4X.

when I looked at the info of my powerdesk 5.11, the information showed my card G400 MAX- APG 2X, but under 'wcpuid' it said system supports 1X 2X and 4X, but current is 1X!!!!!! WHY I'm ONLY GETTING 1X of AGP Speed??

DO the upgrade of the powerdesk 5.30 give any help in a smoother frame rate of playing games? more stable on running it (not being kick out?), and My AGP speed will back to 2X again?

Can I overclock the card from the turbo GL?? do I need to buy a heat sink onto the g400 max??

Here is my system config:

G400 MAX 32M dual head.

P III 533B / PC133
    Buffalo pc133 128MBram
    creative cdrw6424
    sony dvd 6X
    magic pro MP6VIP-G mother board, chip set : apollo pro 133/1??(wcouid)
    AGP 4X enabled / APECTURE 64M (4X disabled also have same problem)
    SB live value with digital I/O interface
    IBM 18G 7200rpm HD

Any crashes occur in this system?????

P.S. when I first bought this system, My windows 98SE hang for UNLIMITED times!! the problem occur when I set my PC133 RAM with CAS cycle lenght = '2' .

Now the problem solved (not hang in windows),when I set the CAS cycle length='3'
    but still unstable in playing games..... slow in frame rate and AGP - 1X........ instead of 2X.
    ?Any conflict with that settings?
    Can anybody help me with this LONG post??
    Also I just wanna double check that if g400 max is run only in APG-2X instead of 4X? right??

First of all desinstall PowerDesk 5.11 with powerdesk uninstaller find there. www.murc.ws/utils.html after install 5.30 it's more faster and more stable. Do this first and try it. We will see the ather problem after. AGP X1 is not the problem of the slower speed.
    My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
    --------------
    I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
    (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
    Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

Space is absolutely correct. We haven't heard of any differences from running the G400 in AGP 1x or 2x.

The drivers you installed were released in June/July when the board was first released. I believe there have been five updates since then: some bug fixes, some performance updates.

As a matter of policy, it's always a good idea to check the manufacturer's website for driver updates *before* installing a new video board.

After running the Matrox uninstaller, install Windows' standard VGA driver. Reboot into standard VGA mode and run the setup program for PowerDesk 5.30. Note that you will be asked if you want to install the "TurboGL" driver. TurboGL only supports Pentium III and Athlon processors, so choose accordingly.

I think you're in for a pleasant surprize. You might even get AGP 2x, although, again, that's not the determining factor as far as your lackluster performance goes.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

AGP X 2 will improve rendering speed of 32MB textures. So far, no game uses textures this size. Only 3D/Cad apps will use textures this size when you render the project.

To prove it to yourself, run 3D MARK 99 MAX and check the 32MB Rendering FPS at AGP X 1 and X 2. With some systems all other scores may drop slightly or stay the same at AGP X 2 except 32MB Rendering. So AGP X 2 is not a big deal at this time.

As far as frame rates go, the G400 may not beat all others but sure looks better doing it.

Try what space7 and paulcs suggested by updating to the latest drivers. And if there are any game patches listed for your games, install them as well. When I upgraded from dual Voo Doo II cards in SLI, Forsaken and Unreal would not run anymore. Not being a big gamer, I did not realize there were update patches for these games.

---------------------------------------------
        I've heard of people spanking their monkey but never punching it. Gotta go now, having siezure from Winner banner.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 24 November 1999).]
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
        X