Video Editing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Editing?

Is there anyway I can buy an add-on card for video editing for my MatroxG400 32mb dualhead regular? Or if not is there a cheap good card that works great with this card? Please help.

As long as it is a dualhead G400 then you can use a G-series Rainbow Runner.

Alternatives are the Pinnacle DC10+ (appx £190 UK), Pinnacle DC30+ (appx £500 UK)

Comment

I only have only one AGP slot...how am I supposed to use the Rainbow G-series for my G400 32mb dualhead????????

Comment

It uses a PCI slot.

Comment

Affirmative

RR_G only comes in PCI flavour.

AGP and Cherry vanilla didn't make it through flavor testing

Comment

So does that mean the video quality will come out poor if I have this card combination?

Comment

What makes you say that ?

No, I don't think that you'd find the results "poor". But then there are a lot of other factors.

Both of the Pinnacle cards that I mentioned share the same Zoran codec chipset as the G-series Rainbow Runners and both G200 and G400 Marvels. Pinnacle unleashed the power of the card which allegedly can capture at up to 11Mb/s, Matrox pinned capture back to 3.1 Mb/s because they say that this is where quality starts trading off with reliability.

Having seen the problems that many folk have with maintaining a trouble-free 3Mb/s data rate, I think that trying to go for the higher figures is not for the faint-hearted. I have played (to a small degree) with a DC10+ and while the card largely did what I expected I wasn't overawed by the Studio editing package. I haven't yet tried the DC30, but hope to be doing so real soon.

Comment

Thanks dude..i might get a rainbow runner g-series card for my G400 now.... but whats that DC stuff u mentioned? Do you know of any bugs in this product and is this a good video tool for making VCDs? Thanx again.

[This message has been edited by KwOkOMoLe!!! (edited 13 December 1999).]

Comment

The DC stuff is manufactured by Pinnacle Systems. Go to the Products link, then either Studio DC10Plus or MiroVIDEO DC30Pro for North America or MiroVIDEO DC30Plus otherwise.

Do as much research as you can before choosing a card. The best card for you depends on your budget, your video source (e.g. if you have a DV camcorder you may want a different capture card) and the output format(s) you want.

Also, in figuring the price of your purchase, keep in mind that if you can afford it a disk drive dedicated to receiving your captured video will help greatly to avoid dropped frames.

In my opinion, considering that you already have a G400 DualHead, nothing can come close to the RR-G in its price range.

Oh, and check out This Idiots Guide to Desktop Video, especially the Idiots Guides to start.

Comment

Hi DaddyB

Haven't seen you lurking recently, where have ya been hiding ?

I think I'll have to follow that URL myself.

T_I

Comment

Hi T_I,

Holiday preparations are cutting into my online time

Cheers (he said, stout in hand)

Comment

After a couple more rounds it becomes:

Scheers (he slurred, hand in stout)

Comment

Well it has to be said that the only place that I can abide stout is in a Christmas pudding, so we at least got the season right.

But I'll raise a glass to your Christmas celebration(s). Hang on, does that mean that you'll have to raise me a glass until one of us "sees" the other ?

Damn, bring me on the bottle of Drambuie and a big telescope !

<hic>

Comment

It's a lucky thing I live on the east coast -- New England, no less. That should make it easier to see me. A few draughts of Drambuie should help as well. You can't miss me. I'm the one holding a pint up in one hand and licking the stout off the other hand.

Comment

Working...
                            X