Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with overclocking.... (not Matrox-PIII)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with overclocking.... (not Matrox-PIII)

Hi, all i hope you guys (gals) can assisit me yet again :O)

I have a PIII 450 an SL35D and have read on the net how overlockable they are (supposedly past 600mhz) allthough i dont expect that kind of increase. I was running it at 105 (475mhz) when i ran it higher it would work for a while, then get a windows registory error and crash

My friend helped me install a big fan in the front of my pc and now i also keep the top and one side off the case, so its very cool in there.

Now i can overclock to 112 (504)
    i did have problems running unreal Tournament and Q3 Demo (they would crash out with a timing error)
    then while fiidling with the bios i changed my memory timing form 10ns to Normal and my timing from 2 to 3 and all is well now, very stable Completed the UT demo last night and no probs :O)

If i try and overclock the chip higher (which i think i can) My SCSI card fails to initialise does anyone know if theres any setting i can change in the bios to enable it to run? everyone else seems to overclock there pci about a 100mhz faster and 550 would be sweet :O)

thanks for Reading this..
    I look forward to your help

CMB
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Provide your system information.

Comment

DOH!!!!! I guess that would help !!!

P3 450@504... for now :O)
      128mg 100mhz ram
      Adaptec SCSI card
      Jetway BX2000 motherboard
      using Via 4in1 drivers
      Marvel G400
      SB Live
      x2 Creative Labs DVD Drive
      2x2x6 Traxdata re-writer

Anything else needed???
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

When you overclock like that (by increasing your FSB), you are overclocking everything on the PCI/AGP bus and the RAM...not just the processor.

If your RAM, or any PCI card in your system is sensitive to running out of spec, the whole thing goes down the tubes. For example, I had a Creative Dxr2 in my box, and I could not run at 112MHZ FSB. Took that one card out, all was fine.

So, strip the system down. See if it overclocks with just the G400 in there. Then add cards one at a time, if it does. If not, try to find some better RAM to test it with. If that doesn't do it, maybe that particular processor just can't cut it (which would be why it's not rated higher to start with )

Another possibility it voltage. Have you tried increasing your core voltage at all? adding .1v might do it for ya....
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the info Kruzin
          is there anything i can change in my bios to allow my SCSI card to run at higher speeds?
          e.g. my ram couldnt take past 105
          i altered the timings for for ram in my bios to normal, and 3
          and now all is well :O)
          my SCSI card wont go past 112 mhz so i alter......... to change it??
          or am i stuck at 504, not that im complaining, just curious ....
          :O)
          CMB

Comment

Some Adaptec cards allow bios changes. Access the Adaptec bios (if you can) and get more conservative with the settings by disabling functions. If you find a setup that works, minimize the changes and test it against your HD's performance before you made any changes (like at 100 MHz fsb). If the performance hit is big, forget it. If there is only a small difference, see if you mind. I would trade HD performance for memory or processor performance anyday.

Some HDs are not happy being oc'd. Maybe the fault is with your HD. I have both IBM and WD HDs and they have put up with 129 MHz fsb without complaint.

You might also consider a IBM (or other oc-able) IDE drive (really cheap and quite fast).

If you need SCSI, I have had my Adaptec AWA2940 w/uw SCSI card running at 129 MHz fsb without problem. Perhaps a 2940 is the ticket if it's not the one you have.

Good luck.

------------------
            Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones and Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

Hi Brian
              thanks for some good info
              i forgot to list my hard drives DOH!!!!
              12gig Bigfoot
              and 16 gig IBM DTTA
              there fine as far as i know
              just my SCSI card wont initiate, only my cd writer is on the card so its only that should be affected.

I can access my adaptec bios, could you give me a clue as to what settings to change please??
              as i dont know what any of them mean
              CMB

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a clue about the contents of the bios in your Adaptec card. If you want, go into it and list the parameters for me and I'll tell you about the ones I know. By the way, what Adaptec adapter number shows on your screen on boot-up?

Comment

Working...
                X