An Ibm DCAS-34330W Ultra Wide Scsi
    And Ibm Udma 8.4 giga
    A G400 DH 32 mo
    A 3com ethernet adapter
    A tekram dc390u2w scsi controller
    An Ultraplex40 max cdrom drive
    A Plexwriter 4/12 drive
    And Sblive value..

I am using win98 second edition, no probs under windows everything is pretty stable, games run perfectly.

My prob occurs during boot up.. When i first put on my computer, everything seems to be good but windows refuse to launch, there is two possibilities the startup screens just freeze and i can wait for hours... or win tells me that files are missing on the disk, if i push reset to reboot, windows starts normally...

It seems that the first time i switch on my comp it freezes just after loading the scsi controller driver, when checking for the cdrom and cdwriter...

i switched the drives like this on the ultra2 connector i put only the ultra2 Hd
    on the wide connector my second disk, and on the fast scsi connector the two removable media.... as i said every thing is perfect when windows is loaded, but the very first time i put it on.. it just doesn't start...

If anyone could have an idea... thanks in advance...

ps: my english can be (very) ugly, i apologies i am french...

Ken

Just an intuition. The type of files that your computer say that you are missing id .dll files ? Before the freeze sound bluster sound became corumpted ? Just need the respond that to quetion and a IRQ config will be helpful.

------------------
    My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
    --------------
    I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
    (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
    My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
    --------------
    I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
    (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
    Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

I see what you mean, but my sblive is NOT the problem... it uses actually irq 5 and shares irq7 with printer port (though i can disconnect the sb16 emulation) the only irq shared is irq 11 between the ethernet car and usb port... (and the two of them are working flawless)....

The random error messages i get, when i first boot, are related to ntkern.vxd, or kernel32.dll, or user32.dll... these messages are always the same x files has been deleted or is missing from you windows\system directory.. etc etc blah blah blah.. i push the reset button and everything is perfect....

That's pretty bad... i had a dc390 f with the old ultra wide 4.3 giga hd, there were no problem with the actual config.. upgrading to a dc390u2w with an ultra 2 disk and it goes bad.... i tryed any combination possible with the scsi terminators and id's always the same sh*t......

Anyone know a very good diagnosis program for hardisk ?....

thanks in advance..

Ken

Comment

Have you attempted to restore the files from your win98 disk?
        Might be a logical place to start.

Comment

i have just reformated my hd.... put again that funky win98se... and want to know ? nothing changed....nothing... i made a mobo bios upgrade.. but ....

for now this is quiet a mistery.....
          the thing i can say, i bench my disk using sandra and norton utilities, in physical read throughput i get 31.3 Mb/s this is twice as a friend that own a piii an adaptec ultra 2 card and the same disk... (he gets 17+) using sandra i get 9300+.... are my numbers good ? or are they quiet (anormaly) high ?

I will install win98se on my uwide disk and see if it still happens... i know that on my udma disk there is no problem.. but it's too slow....

Ken

Comment

Here's another thought for you. As I am sure you are well aware, HD's need a few seconds to spin up, especially SCSI drives, it's possible that one of the drives isn't getting enough time to spin up fully before windows try's to access it. See if either in your bios or the SCSI adapter bios you can set a pre-delay of 3-5 seconds or so.

Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

hmmm quiet good idea... i will investigate in thanks... but i don't think an ultra2 7200 rpm scsi disk needs really time to spin up...
              I have found something, my 3com 905btx was using drivers from win98 se.. i removed them and install files i have downloaded.. now the random error messages have desapeared...
              Btw when i first boot, i always have the funky windows start screen that freezes... or stay as is but nothing is changed...

ken

Thanks for your income they are greatly apreciated

Comment

Working...
              X