Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI DVD probelms with G400

Sorry Gareth,

I've got a system with Athlon, G400MAX/RR-G, SBLive, LVD-SCSI (including a Toshiba SCSI 5x DVD-ROM drive), CD-R, Zip and DVRaptor, so I really am looking for conflicts, but it plays DVDs just fine. No problems finding the right drive at all. My Zip drive is a 250Mb parallel port version, though.

My DVD-ROM's drive letter comes before all other CD & Zip devices. How are your drive letters arranged?

Have you tried reinstalling the Matrox DVD Player since you swapped the drives?

What SCSI card do you have?

Does the DVD-ROM drive read normal CDs properly?

Have you tried the DVD Region Info utility that checks for region-locking? There are also DVD benchmarking utilities out there. They'd help prove if it's the Matrox software or a more general DVD problem.

Keep smiling

Tim

Hi Gareth Evans ,

I had the same problem and it took me some time to figure out what was wrong, but I did so here it is.

When you want to play a DVD you have to disable the DISCONNECT feature on all your scsi devices in the device manager. Unfortunately the disconnect feature must be enabled for the cd writer to work correctly, so you have to switch between enabled and disabled when watching dvd's and burning cd's, and offcause you have to reboot your system after each change

Hope this helps!!!!

------------------

Xor'Arch

PIII 550Mhz, 256 MB, 10,2 GB 7200 rpm HD, Teac 6x24 cd SCSI burner, Pioneer 6x32 SCSI DVD ROM, Matrox G400 32Mb DualHead, SBLive! Player and lots of other stuff.

Xor'Arch

Duron@856Mhz (for the moment), 256 MB RAM, 33 GB 7200 rpm HD ATA/66, Teac 6x24 cd SCSI burner, Pioneer 6x32 SCSI DVD ROM, Matrox G400 32Mb DualHead, SBLive! Player.

Comment

SCSI DVD probelms with G400

Has any-one else had any problems using a SCSI DVD player with the Matrox software and G400? I used to have a Pioneer 6x IDE DVD player, which worked fine. BUT, now I've exchanged it for a Pioneer 6x SCSI version, the DVD software often cannot find the player and tries things like ejecting my zip drive & trying to play a dvd on my SCSI CD writer!
      Gareth

Comment

I have Scsi DVD, CDR/W and scanner and I don't have any problems playing movies. My DVD is the last letter drive. Its also the first scsi device on the cable. I had read somewhere that it should be first or last. The CDR/W is in the middle both letter and on the cable. Ocassionally it will act strange, a reboot fixes the problem. I left them as they installed.

------------------
        Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, 128 mb PC 100, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
        Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

I just thought of something. I had a similar problem with my CDR/W when I first got it. Turned out to be a bios update. Make sure all of your scsi devices bios's are up to date.

------------------
          Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, 128 mb PC 100, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
          Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Thanks all for the ideas. I have been trying a LOT to sort this probelm out, but am still getting nowhere fast.
            The latest is, that after a few de-installs of Matrox DVD software (and one or two other types of soft DVD players & engines) it reliably finds the correct DVD player, but if I have ANY other devises on the SCSI chain (its an adaptec 2940UW controller) it takes up to 2 minutes to start to play the DVD, during which time the PC appears to lock up. Once it is playing it is all OK. The other devices are either a Pioneer CD or a Plasmon CDR480 CD-R. Moving device address, CD drive letter or disconnect / connect makes no difference either.
            Does this help anyone further?
            Gareth

Comment

You may have a termination problem. It's not always all the built-in terminators is working correctly. Try shuffling around, and remember that only the end-device on the cable shall be terminated. Also, remember what the cable should not go past the end-device.
              Another thing can be that the drive-letters gets shuffled around then you install/remove cd-players. My dvd-player (windvd) doesn't work if you don't selects the correct drive letter in the software. With only the dvd-drive, you don't get this problem.
              At last, the software completely refused to use my Pioneer-U03S then the old Creative 2x was installed.

------------------
              Asus P2B-DS, dual P2-333, 256 MB, G200, SB 128. OS: NT 4/5.

Comment

Hello Gareth Evans, lots of questions but no answers for you.

What op system do you have </a> Got the latest SCSI drivers</a>

What burner software do you have and what version is it</a>

What are the settings in SCSI select for your DVD CD ROM drive</a>

Do you have any external SCSI devices such as a scanner</a>

------------------
                P III 500 @ 560 via 112 FSB, ASUS P2B-LS w/1011 BIOS, 256 MB 8ns ECC RAM ECC Enabled since 5.13 driver release, current 5.30 drivers, DX 7, Seagate 9 GB LVD Cheetah & 9 GB UW Barracuda, 10 GB IDE DiamondMax, Plextor Ultraplex 32 X/Plexwriter 8/2/20 RW, Hitachi GD 2000 IDE DVD CD ROM, SCSI ZIP Insider, G400 MAX, SB Live/Liveware 2.1, Sigma Hollywood + DVD decoder, US Robotics 56K Sportster, Sony GDM400PS, UMAX 2400S SCSI scanner, Soundworks 5.1, HP 6P Laser & 890C, SCSI, LAN & USB enabled. SB Live shares IRQ w/MAX, bus mastering enabled, Win98 SE and NT 4.0 SP4.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 13 November 1999).]
                MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                Matrox P
                X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                LianLiPC70

Comment

Guys, hold up...I think I know exactly what this guy is saying. It seems like this IS a Cinemaster problem, since I am able to duplicate the problems here, with my Adaptec 2940UW and Pioneer 303s.

With WinDVD, or PowerDVD, the problem seems to disappear. Actually, I've always thought that the 1 - 2 min delay was standard for Cinemaster, since I have not seen it work any other way. Yes, sometimes the mouse locks up, and yes, sometimes it takes about 2 mins to find the right drive, but it seems pretty stable. I'm not sure it's a termination problem, since it would effect WinDVD or Power DVD as well. If the delay does bug you that much, then you might want to try one of these alternatives. I still like the video quality the software Cinemaster provides though.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Larry Yuan
                  3D Audio Immersion - www.3dai.net

Comment

Larry

Ah-ha thanks, for the pointers. :-) I will try the other software and see what happens. The problem that I had, was that I had just swapped an IDE drive for the scsi drive and they were the same make and speed, but the IDE was nearly instant starting up, so I really noticed the difference. All terms etc are OK BTW, I've tried passive & active too.
                    Gareth

Comment

I'm not sure about PowerDVD, but perhaps in the new version (2.5) that is out. I'm not sure if it's released yet, so wait a few days, and check on DVD Utils or something...

Larry

Comment

Well tried that and it works fine :-) So I guess that it really is crappy SCSI drivers in the Martox etc. software. The only thing that I cannot do with powerDVD that I would like to is have it autoplay when a DVD is inserted and resume from where it left off. Is this possible?

Thanks, Gareth
                        Gareth

Comment

Larry

New version of which program? I'd like to tryo another program, because as well as the previously mentioned issues, Power DVD will not recognise my 4 speaker setup and will only play through 2.
                          Gareth

Comment

I don't seem to have the problems you describe. Do you also have a problem restarting the DVD movie playback (bringing up the player again)? Larry, exactly which problem did you duplicate (procedure/how launched)?

------------------
                            • ASUS P2B-S, PIII 450MHz, Award ACPI BIOS v1010, 128 MB RAM
                            • MYLEX FlashPoint RAID+ (BIOS v2.02N) running RAID 0 on two 9 GB IBM DDRS 39130D Disks
                            • Diamond MX300 sound card, now with MX25 S/PDIF output
                            • Matrox Millennium G400 Max Dual Head - English
                            • NEC 5FG monitor
                            • YAMAHA CRW4416S and NEC Multispin 3x CDs
                            • 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX NIC
                            • US Robotics 56K Voice FaxModem Pro
                            • Pioneer DVD-303S SCSI
                            • Note--All SCSI devices (except disk drives on RAID) are connected to onboard AIC7890 U2W SCSI
                            • Mainly running Win98 v4.10.1998

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What I found was that it made no difference whatsoever how it was started. It would always take about 2 mins, even if it had just been closed and started straight away. Every now and again the drive would be accessed (as did the CDR) and the mouse would lock up, then suddenly the film would start and all would be ok.
                              Gareth

Comment

Working...
                              X