Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Problems with G400 and RR-G and Abit

Aloha Everyone!!

I'm having problems with my G400 and RR-G being recognized by my new Abit BE6 rev.2 board running windows 98se.

I'm a+ certified so there's no question about how my system is set up. All IRQ's are accounted for and every DMA and I/O port is where it should be.

Is this problem unique to the Abit board or am I going nuts. The boards are all in correctly and I'm up to par on the drivers (5.30 powerdesk, 1.51 vtools) and I even tried the new ones. Reformated, changed the slots on the boards. No overclocking, with over clocking, changed the memory chips with no avail.

Went through all the threads and could not find anyone with the same problem. . .HELP!!

Thanks and Mahalo,
    Dan

P.S. I'll send a box of choclate macadamia nuts to anyone who can help me figure this one out. Mele Kalikimaka!! (Merry Christmas, hawaiian style!)

Have you tried manually installing the G400 from inside the Add New Hardware dialog?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sure did Doc! No luck.

Comment

DART, try to replace your power supply. There are SERIOUS problems with Abit motherboards' voltage regulation. Often placing a better quality power supply will get rid of this. (I had the same problem when I moved from an ASUS P5A to an Abit BP6, I had to get a 300 watt power supply to fix it)

Comment

Hey Walrus!!!

E-mail me an address to send you your macadamia nuts.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm wondering why the problem hasn't been publicized more.

Abit didn't give me much help. But thanks again, I'm truly grateful.

Aloha,
          Dan

[This message has been edited by DART (edited 14 December 1999).]

Comment

DART: thank you very much for your offer, but I'm honestly glad just to help. This problem has been noted before in this forum,(though it's buried in a 100+ message discussion thread) and in fact that's where I learned about the fix.
            BTW: Am I to assume that changing the power supply fixed the problem?

Comment

Yes. It did the trick. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it.

Fortunately, I had a few 300 watt p/s lying around. This is the first time I have ever seen or known of a voltage problem with the Abit boards. Any speculation on why or how??

Anyway, have a great holiday.

Aloha,
              Dan

Comment

DART, glad to hear that it worked. The earlier threads details the reason better, but it has something to do with a noisy voltage regulator on Abit motherboards (and a few other makes as well). Most cards aren't as sensitive as the Rainbow Runner, but the problem is squarley in Abit's court. (IMHO) Anyways, it led me to make a new rule about building systems: The motherboard must be an ASUS board.

Comment

Working...
                X