Compatibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility question

Hey guys. After Space7 "made fun" of my K6-300, I decided it was time to upgrade. I'm going to a Athlon 600mhz and was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems with this config. A friend of mine will give me a FIC (I forgot the exact number) board. Are there any known problems with these? Sorry for the lack of specifics, but.... Thanks
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

anybody??????
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Sorry, no experience with Athlons (yet) or FIC mobo's. The part about your friend "giving" you the motherboard caught my attention, though. He's giving you a slot A Athlon motheboard? Oh, well. Wish I had friends like that. If the motherboard's really free, I can't see any real problem with you getting an Athlon, just from what I've been reading. Excellent processors, even if you end up having to buy a motherboard later (not saying this is the case). The processors are especially good for the G400's, at least based on several benchmarks I've seen on various sites.

Damn... I still wish I had friends like that.

Good luck with your new setup.

------------------
      Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 16 November 1999).]
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I've heard lot's of mixed reviews of the SD-11. Some people say that of all of the Athlon boards(of which there aren't too many to begin with) it's the worst. Most reviews however just say that it's a stable board, nothing fancy or innovative.
        Anyway, it should work fine, it's not a great board but it's not a bad one either.
        If you want to find out more about the assorted boards you can go here www.slota.com

hope that helps
        HedsSpaz

[This message has been edited by HedsSpaz (edited 16 November 1999).]
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Let me clarify Ace... He's giving it to me for a good price.... I wish he would just give it to me though. That would be nice as well.
          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, DAMN!!!!! I'm going to have to wait awhile on that new board and chip. In the meantime, I feel I should get some practice on o/cing what I have now, so I don't kill the Athlon when I get it... If someone can tell me how to go about this, that would be great. Thanks a lot in advance.

Here's my specs:

Processor AMD K6 300
            Chipset ALI M1541 AGP Sys Controller
            192 RAM
            G400 MAX
            Slow 6 gig HD
            Fast 20 gig HD
            32X Sony CD-Rom
            Toshiba DVD-Rom
            REALmagic Hollywood Plus
            Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
            Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter

Thanks again
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X