NEW MOTHERBOARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW MOTHERBOARD

Currently have a Tekram P6B40-A4X. I am looking for suggestions for a replacement (faster) MOBO.

Specs.
    PIII-500
    128 mg ram
    SBLive-Value
    Plexwriter 8x20
    Adaptec 2940U
    WD 13.1g 5400 rpm D
    Maxtor 27.3g 7200 rpm C
    Toshiba SDM1202
    ZIP100 internal
    crappy Lucent Modem
    Hollywood Plus
    Matrox G400-Max
    Viewsonic 17GS
    UMAX600-S scanner
    Tekram I/R reader

I use Asus and AOpen BX motherboards, and I think they're quite good. The BX chipset has really come into its own--the bugs have pretty much been worked out--although it's an aging technology and about to be superceded.

I'd recommend the AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold. (I use the AX6BC, which I bought before the Pro and Pro Gold came out and, unlike the newer boards, does not incorporate voltage tweaks.) The capacitors are enormous. The floppy drive connector is in a really dumb place, although, apparently, this contributes to the boards remarkable stability. Here's a couple of reviews:
    http://www.anandtech.com/html/articl...m?document=993
    http://bxboards.com/mainboard/slot1/ax6bcpro.shtml

I also recommend the Asus series of BX boards. I've installed two P2B-F's and a P2B-D (a dual processor board), and I find them remarkably easy to work with. The P2B-F has been superceded by the P3B-F, which is available both in 5-PCI/2-ISA or 6-PCI/1-ISA slot configurations. Asus BX boards, I've found, are extremely stable as well and have a well-deserved reputation for this. Here's a link to a review:
    http://bxboards.com/mainboard/slot1/asusp3b-f.shtml

The Abit people will be here soon, if they haven't already arrived while I was writing this. They're fine boards as well.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

first in the abit camp and well, if you can put up with a lot of fiddling then go for an abit board. they have excellent setup manuals and the bios setup makes them very easy to set up initially. The fiddly bit is they don't seem to like the g400. No doubt others will disagree but i have had two. bx6 and bx6 v2 and both have had a problem with 2x agp. They are superb for overclocking and th stability with any other graphics card is superb even at 133mhz. As the previous post get anything with the 440bx chipset and you won't be far away from current pc nirvana although in three months people will be slagging them for being crap/
      1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
      Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
      Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

A Soyo motherboard will do as well - I recommend the SY-6BA+ III or IV.

------------------
        Soyo 7IZB+, C500A, 96MB PC100, G400Max, Vortex2
        Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

I am waiting for a new i820 mobo. BX chipset
          was not designed to run at 133 according to
          Intel specs.

regards

Comment

I second the motion for AOpen. Many of the other boards mentiond are good, however I must say I'm happy with my experiances with the AC6BC. I have used a Rrv 1.1 and 1.3, neither have the voltage tweaking, but I was able to run a friend processor at higher speeds at standard (2.0V) than he could with higher VCore. They are also very good at hadleing IRC, as well as shairing them without a problem.
            I realy like the position of the power/floppy connecters. I don't use a floppy in one system, and on the other I runn the cable under the board. Since I have fans mounted to the case behind the CPU (in the grill) this means there is nothing to impeed airflow!!
            Newer verions (Pro & Pro Gold), have "better" capacitors, and you can adjust VCore. Some have complained it's "only" up to 2.2V, but if a CPU can't be overclocked at 2.2V on these boards it probably won't work on others at 2.3V (or more dangerous levels).

Mark F.

------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
            and burped out a movie

Comment

Take a look on Tyan's website at the S1854 Trinity 400. Suppory for PC133 and VCSDRAM, AGP 4x, UDMA/66. Chipset is the VIA Apollo Pro 133A. This is most likely my next MB..

Comment

OOps...how about a link... http://www.tyan.com/products/html/s1854.html

Comment

I use the AX6BC Pro Gold that's been referred to a couple times above. I've been happy with the performance so far. There hasn't been any problems to speak of. The G400 installed without a fuss. It was pretty simple to overclock the CPU. No real complaints. The sparkly 24k gold heatsink's nice to look at too.

One thing though. It would have been nice to get an ATA-66 controller on the mobo as well for my Quantum KA drive. Oh well. Maybe AOpen now has something like the AX6BC Pro Gold but with an ATA-66 controller.

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Windows 98SE
                  Run case-open with 5" fan blowing in, targeted primarily at CPU
                  Cel 366 (@550, 2.1v)
                  AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold (24k)
                  64 Megs PC100 (1 DIMM)
                  Matrox Mill G400 Dual 32 Meg w PD5.30 (@119%)
                  Sound Blaster Live!Value w Liveware 3.0
                  Quantum KA 13.6 Gig HD
                  Pioneer 103S DVD3 6x/32x
                  3DMark99 Max Results (@ 1024 x 768 x 32 x 32, triple)
                  3DMarks ~4200
                  CPU 3DMarks ~5250
                  No Overclocking (@ 1024 x 768 x 32 x 32, triple)
                  3DMarks ~3000
                  CPU 3DMarks ~3500

Comment

isn't there a soyo board that uses the via pro 133 chipset as well????
                    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
                    X