G400MAX and Matrox DVD player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX and Matrox DVD player

I just have to say the G400 Max plays DVD's ever so well! But I *do* have a couple of questions for those who have had more experience:

First the pertinent specs: P3-450, Asus P2B-F mobo, 128 Mb PC-100 RAM, G400 MAX, Pioneer 10X 104S DVD-ROM (yes it's RPC-2 region locked, but I doubt I'll go outside region 1 within the next year or so), SB Live!value, Optiquest V95 19" monitor (16X12 max res).

Now the questions:
    1) I can run the Matrox DVD player under 1024X768. If I try to go any higher and then start the player, I get an "insufficient memory for DVD overlay", but if I increase the resolution *after* starting the player, it seems to work fine. Is the player still working in 1024X768 the second time, or is this a workaround for a "bug?"

2) With "The Matrix" (widescreen version) I can access all the controls except for the "Special Features" from the root menu. The video just freezes (but I can still access the player controls), and I have to use the "back" button on the panel control to reactivate the video. I don't have this problem with other DVD's. Does this option only work with set-tops on "The Matrix?"

Thanks for any help!

....Tessen....
    ....Gregory Mate....

The first question I cannot answer but I do have the same problem my self with "The Matrix", I cannot access specal features. I have tried all sorts of DVD software and even tested at my friends who have different DVD players. It doesn't seem to work anywhere.

------------------
    Dual P2 450
    MSI 6120 MoBo
    512MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Adaptec 2940U2W Scsi controller
    3x 9,1GB U2W Harddrives
    SB Awe64 Gold
    3Com FastEtherlink XL (3C905b-TX)
    Dual P2 450
    MSI 6120 MoBo
    512MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Adaptec 2940U2W Scsi controller
    3x 9,1GB U2W Harddrives
    SB Awe64 Gold
    3Com FastEtherlink XL (3C905b-TX)

Comment

1) I have the same problem and would love a fix!

2) the Cinemaster (Matrox) has problems with Matrix extras - I used WinDVD and it worked fine!

Comment

...Tessen....

I don't know if you are aware of this but the Pioneer 10x Protection has been cracked now for a while.. Just in case you ever do want to go outside of Region 1.. I only bought the DVD stuff for my computer to supplement my Region One only Panasonic 310 DVD Player, but now I only use it for making copies of region one tapes. For myself of course!

I didn't tell you this but check out either www.dvdutils.com or just go straight to
        http://perso.libertysurf.fr/dvdutils/cracks.htm

Regards,

Aidan..

Comment

Doh!

I've done it again... The Pioneer 10 Tray loading has been hacked already.. The slot one you have has not..

Sorry..

Comment

Go to http://members.tripod.com/erica677/dvdsoft.html and download the cinemaster engine update (the one with gateway in the filename). This fixes the matrix problem. I've not had any problems with any DVDs running with the updated engine.
            Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
            MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
            FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
            Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
            6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
            Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K

Comment

Tessen,

Hi, I have the exact same DVD drive, the 104S, I use WinDVD because Cinemaster doesn't decode 5.1 for quad sound and like you said, it has problems with some menus, and the G400 version has an odd screen mode limitation on it. Personally, I don't trust the engine updates, they really need to go with a new player, especially the higher versions, you are mixing magor revisions of drivers and engine, not a great idea. It's a rather large PITA, all easily avoided by using WinDVD, until there is an update.

Have you had any problems using the drive with UDMA on?

There is a firmware patch for the drive to up it to 1.23, no, I don't know what it does either.
              http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/device_e/dev00000r_e.html

Comment

Tessen-
                Right now, there is no sollution I know of for question #1. I can run my DVDs up to 1024x768 in 32bit, or if I drop to 16bit, I can go to a higher resolution. This is a know issue with the DVD software, and it is supposed to be addressed in a future patch.

The second issue (which is that "The Matrix" and other titles are multi-layer DVDs, and the software and hardware must support multi-layer to get the special features) is addressable. If you mail Matrox tech support at graph_ts@matrox.com (I think that's the right addy) they should be able to supply you with a sollution, for the software end at least...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

To fix the Matrix special features problem, replace dvdpld32.dll from one of the later distributions (such as the Elsa or gateway one). This is the only file that needs replacing. Despite information to the contrary, the later cinemaster engines don't work as well as the Matrox one (try iconising a non Matrox DVD player and view the DVDMAX output, choppy!!).
                  Abit BX6r2
                  Pentium III 450
                  128 SDRAM (non ECC)
                  13GB WD HD
                  SB Live Value liveware3
                  EtherLink III NIC

Comment

Aidan: Ah well, by the time I do get a region 2+ DVD, there probably will be a firmware update.

Insomnis: I'll try that if George's idea doesn't work.

Grimace: Eerily, I did come across that page a couple of days ago, and did d/l the Cinemaster engine (but haven't tried unzipping it yet). Not that I was looking for DeCSS <whistling innocently>.

Himself: Interesting about the lack of 5.1 sound under the Matrox player. Mind you, I have to invest in some more speakers, and my play money is pretty much gone now As for UDMA on, I'd have to check my settings.

Kruzin: The software issue about the resolution makes sense. I couldn't imagine why I would be able (with the right monitor) to get 2048X1536X32 bit colour in 2D but not 1280X1024X32 on an overlay. Glad to hear Matrox will address this. Could the software only be accessing a maximum of 8Mb video memory?

George: That did the trick!

Thanks everyone.

....Tessen....
                    ....Gregory Mate....

Comment

No Problem Tessen. If you have any questions regarding Cinemaster and G400/SBLive! value etc. give me a buzz. I have done an awful lot of (sometime frustrating) "messing" about.

Cheers,

George.
                      Abit BX6r2
                      Pentium III 450
                      128 SDRAM (non ECC)
                      13GB WD HD
                      SB Live Value liveware3
                      EtherLink III NIC

Comment

Working...
                      X