Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Disable Fast Shutdown" is checked by default?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Disable Fast Shutdown" is checked by default?

Here's one to ponder over guys:

I just upgraded to an ASUS P3B-F, with a Matrox G400Max, SB Live!/SQ2500, Adaptec 2940UW, and a 3Com Etherlink XL adapter. Now, I've never noticed this before, but It seems as though right after a reformat/reinstall of Windows 98SE, I realized that the "Disable Fast Shutdown" in my system settings is check off. Because of this, my system seems to take really long to shut down when compared to other systems I have worked with. What could be the problem? When I manually uncheck the box and try to shut it down, instead of shutting the power down, the system reboots. Not a big deal, but I'd love some kind of explanation to this one!!!! Thanks!!!

Larry

Fast shutdown is a rather hastily put together Microsoft feature. All of your hardware (and its drivers) have to be ready to handle it. Some aren't. I won't try to make it any more complicated. It may be a mis-configuration of your system, but it's common enough that a system can't support Fast Shutdown that I wouldn't be too upset by it.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys!!!

Larry

Comment

Microsoft disabled fast shutdown by default in Win98SE, because it was conflicting with a large number of ACPI and APM controllers.

- Gurm

P.S. Try turning it on. If you can shut down all the time, great! If not, turn it back off.

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

This signature is not Copyright by anyone. Especially not some guy named Steve. Yeah. That's it. Please don't kill me, Holly.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X