G400 Marvel - AVI MPEG-4 V3 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Marvel - AVI MPEG-4 V3 Problem

Prior to installing my new G400 Marvel card, I was able to view AVI files encoded with MS MPEG-4 V3. However, since installing my Marvel, I can no longer view this type of AVI file. I can still view other AVI files.. which use V2 or some other codec. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Tools (V 4.1) and I have also uninstalled and reinstalled All Multimedia from my win98 SE installation. My MPG4C32.DLL file (which is the codec file , I think).. is dated 11-9-99 and has been reinstaled many times now. Each time I try to play one of these AVI files, it will not run.. just reports an error "unknown"

Any Ideas?

Wanna know somethin' weird? Windows Media Tools does not include the decompressors. (!?) Go find Windows Media Player (actually, it's right <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/">here</a>) and just install over your old one.

(Blasted link, had to fix it...)

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 13 December 1999).]

Comment

Fluggo99,

Thanks.. I used your link and reinstalled mplayer.. then rebooted.. same problem..

not sure what to try next...

Comment

Grepman: The problem is a known problem (which Microsoft refused to fess up to) with Media Player 6.4's MPEG-4 codec. If you still have the install file for Media Player 6.3, try to install that instead. (and keep hold of that installation if you do have it)
        My theory is Microsoft broke compatibility with MPEG4-V3 .AVIs in their latest codec to force people to use .asf instead of .avi.

Comment

This was confirmed on another sites. Look at dvdsoft.da.ru or any mirror. You can find older codecs somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X