Is win 98 2nd edition as good as 98 se for max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is win 98 2nd edition as good as 98 se for max

Hi I am about to re install win 98 I have not been able to get win 98 se so this will have to do for now.

Is there any advantage in using the se version as all I want to do at the moment is get my system back up and running

Any suggestions gratfully recieved .

Regards Matt {:O)

There are a number of bug fixes in the Second Edition. Some new features as well, Internet sharing being one of them.

There is a CD available from Microsoft with the Second Edition updates and fixes (no Internet sharing, however). Some people think this is the way to go: install the original version, update with the CD or on Microsoft's site, and everything runs better.

It certainly can't hurt to take this route. I prefer installing SE because it automatically installs drivers for most of my devices. No muss, no fuss.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I have to agree with Paulcs. My system seems to run smoother and installs with less hassle with 98se, so I would recomend that. I find that updates on the internet through Microsoft are all to often not quite as efficient as just getting the SE.

My System

BE6, PIII 450mhz, 128MB PC100 Ram, G400 32MB (gotta Luv it), SB Live Value, 40X CDROM, HP 8210i CD Writer Plus.....
      Bitte ein Bit

Comment

Thanks for the advice :]

I just finished installing 98 and wwwwwhhhhooooooooooooowwwwww what a performance increase ile post my 3D marks so you can see for yourselves (im not kidding this is quick!!) Regards Matt {:O)

Comment

I have installed Win 98/98 SE on alot of older laptops/desktops from 486's to Pentiums and they run alot better than they did with Win 95.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Available from microsoft is the win98se update,$24.00 approx.
            This is the full update which includes internet sharing.It must be loaded from within windows,but then becomes the only disk that can be used for all further files,etc.
            As it must be loaded from within windows,it is important to shut down all running programs,excluding explorer and systray.
            Over all a good investment!
            It is solely for those already running win98
            Check it out.

Comment

The $24 upgrade is definitely the most cost effective and Win98SE does seem more stable.

One word of warning. The $24 upgrade CD can not be used for a reformat and reinstall. You have to use your Win98 original disc to get it started. The original Win98 will install CD-ROM drivers, but the Win98SE upgrade will not.

To keep from reinstalling the entire Win98 original edition and then installing the upgrade to Win98 SE, which takes the same amount of time, here is a shortcut.

Start the install with the original Win98 CD. At the first stopping point after it has run Scandisk, switch the original CD for the Win98SE CD. The installation will continue normally, but this will keep you from having to run the install twice, once for the original and again to upgrade.

If you have two computers, the internet sharing is nice to have. Its slower than a normal connection, but still usable and saves a lot of arguments over who gets to use the internet.

RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Cool tip,RAB.
                Can this method also be used if you have to reinstall windows from dos?

Comment

I think you could use the same thing from DOS. The upgrade just doesn't have the install or setup batch files, so once you get the installation started, you can switch the disks and it will continue because all the other files are teh same or upgraded.

RAb
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                  X