Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIList 1.30 now available

See http://www.entechtaiwan.com/cgi-bin/...es/pcilist.exe
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Thanks Dude
    A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
    Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
    128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
    I-Will Slocket2
    PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
    Windows98SE
    Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
    Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
    8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
    6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
    MS Intell/Explorer USB
    Pioneer 6/32x DVD
    Memorex 48X CD
    Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

Golden Orb (www.plycon.com) being installed soon

Old Joes's Going for IT!!!

Comment

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I don't seem to have AGP pipeline turned on for the motherboard, but it's enabled for the G400, I have always wondered about that since my Riva 128 days. Anybody else notice that on their system?

Comment

Himself: I noticed the same thing in the past, but in this version if you look at the "report" at the bottom of the screen it should say that it is enabled (mine does). Anyone notice that the g-400 doesn't support "fast-writes"? Anyone know what it is and what it does? Also, can anyone explain the difference between "shadowing" and "cacheable" options in BIOS? I thought they were essentially the same thing, but I'm not so sure now. Should I turn off the "video bios cacheable" and the "video RAM chaceable" for my g-400 in addition to the "video BIOS shadowing"?

Ooops, just checked and I was looking at "Sideband addressing"; not "pipeline", but Ashley seems to have cleared that up.

Cheers,
          Heed.

[This message has been edited by Heed (edited 10 November 1999).]
          Thought thinks itself.

Comment

The system board is an AGP master - it can accept pipelined requests from an AGP target device (the graphic card).

The graphics card is an AGP target - it can queue requests to the master (the system board).

In other words, because the system board is a master, it never queues requests to other devices, so for a system board the pipeline checkbox in PCIlist will never be checked.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Well, sounds like a good explanation....now can you explain why this new version of PCI list shows my "AGP pipeline - 32" box checked (enabled) for my G400?
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin: I know you're asking Ashley or someone who knows why, but the old version (1.12, I think) always showed a check for my g-400; just not for my mainboard. You're saying yours did not?

Cheers,
                Heed.
                Thought thinks itself.

Comment

OK...I was confused
                  Ashley was saying it should be checked for the G400(target)- and it is...and it should NOT be checked for the Mobo(master)- which it isn't....so everything is correct here
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

That's it. Note that the target/master appellations are sometimes reversed, depending on what you're reading, but so long as you recognize the distinction (one makes requests, the other gets them), it doesn't really matter. In Intel's own software, they refer to the motherboard as the "master", and PCIlist follows that.
                    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/images/inteldp.gif

Comment

Ashley,

Thanks for the explanation, it doesn't really answer why there is a box for it in the gui though if it's never in use. Perhaps some context help with what you just told us would be a good idea.

Comment

The checkbox is there simply because the flag exists in the device registers. If you hover the cursor over the checkbox for a second you'll find a tool tip that qualifies the flag as applicable to targets only, but you are, of course, correct to point out that the meaning is less than clear...

Comment

Thanks Ashley for the neat tidbit.

Comment

Thanks Ashley!!!! This version gives a lot more info.

Paul
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Does anyone have an answer to Heed's question about fast writes? I noticed that too when I ran PCIList on my system.

------------------
                              Ace
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X