A little o/c'ing story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little o/c'ing story

well, I've been running my P-3 500 at 620 for a while now and has been very stable until last night.

I was fraggin' on Unreal Tourney (looks and runs unbeleavable on this baby!) and suddenly the computer rebooted!

I didn't think much about it and just waited for it to finish rebooting, but, it rebooted again at the desktop!

after trying a couple of more times and failing, I decided to open the box.

What I found was that the fan and heatsink I had connected to the "back" of the cpu had fallen off! DOH!

After reconnecting it with a revised bracket the computer rebooted fine at 620 once more!!!

I guess that step in o/c'ing this chip is more important than I first thought as it probably also cools the back of the cache chips as well
    jim

------------------
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100
    Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak-410mhz, 2.5, 2), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
    3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
    Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
    Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
    Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
    Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

nothing got burned after all those restarts? I'm impressed. Nice system BTW...
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

yeah, I had that sudden thought of: OH MY GOD, I KILLED IT!!!
      JIM
      System 1:
      Epox 8K7A
      SBLIVE 5.1
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

either that or the heatsink shorted out your board!
        1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

DAMNIT. i need some new ram! i cant get my poor 450 over 464. boo hoo hoo.
          i have decent heatsink/fan setup. it should be able to hold 112 x 4.5. i would ditch my generic pc100 ram, but PC133 is so ****en expensive. anyways im rabling and not making any type of point thats important. plus im not saying anything anyone cares about. im leaving ok. im leaving.. really, must click submit. must clic...

------------------
          </list>
          PIII 450 @ 464
          generic BX6 motherboard
          G400 MAX : )
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
          Creative 36x CD-ROM
          HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
          64 megs PC100 RAM
          Intel 10/100
          Soundblaster 32 AWE
          DiamondMAX 56k
          Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
          4 large fans.

Comment

Actually I just plugged a Retail P3-450 into my machine for a few minutes today and I couldn't get it to run 504 stable. Even my celeron 300 will run 504 for about 10min until it gets too hot and starts crashing I've heard that the oem ones offer a much better chance to run faster, with a high quality fan+heatsink...

------------------
            Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster 32PNP

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Dyre,

Don't be so sure that your PC100 ram is the limiting factor. My PIII 450 overclocks to 504 with never a problem with very old PC66(!) ram. I wanted more speed, purchased some PC 133, removed the PC 66, and still can't go above 504 MHz, although a can operate at CAS 2. I might be able to go higher if I could bump up the voltage a bit, but ah, the ol' Asus P2B...

The PC133 wasn't a waste, though; I bought it before the prices sky-rocketed, and now have it happily in my system, right next to the PC66 for a total of 224 Mb. Never have any problems. This is all with a retail PIII 450 with just standard cooling on the CPU and case.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if money's a concern, borrow some PC 133 ram and make sure your system will run at the higher frequency.....Heck, even try some of your friend's PC100. You never know. I would never have believed that PC66 would run at 112 MHz with no problems

------------------
              ------------------------

PIII450 => 504 MHz, Asus P2B, G400MAX, PowerDesk 5.30, Aureal 2500 Vortex2, DirectX 7.0, Adaptec AHA-2940UW and Fireport40 Dual UW SCSI controllers, etc.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 10 November 1999).]

Comment

Dyre - <pip/li>?
                abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                g400 max-
                256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

DuRaNgO,
                  I am glad you started this thread, because I have been meaning to ask you what you had to do to get 620 Mhz reliably. I also have a PIII 500 (retail) and BE6 motherboard running generic 128Meg PC 100 ram. I've tried to raise the FSB to 124 Mhz, but can't get it to load up Windows. It just fails to complete the start up.

Question 1: Did you install an after market heat sink/fan? If so, which brand?

Question 2: Did you remove the CPU casing to install the second heat sink/fan? What did you use to attach it to the backside of the CPU?

Question 3: Did you adjust the CPU voltage at all?
                  Question 4: What affect did the 124 Mhz FSB have on the G400? Any other tweaks you have to make?

I'm glad everything worked out alright and you didn't end up frying anything. Thanks in advance for any advice.

------------------
                  Go DUCKS!
                  Denny

System Specs
                  PIII 500 (n/o)Abit BE6 128MB PC100
                  G400 Max (on order)
                  13.6GB Quantum Fireball KA on ATA/66 bus
                  Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzila
                  Kenwood 52x TrueX CD
                  Linksys Etherfast NIC
                  19" Optiquest V95

[This message has been edited by Dante D (edited 10 November 1999).]
                  Go DUCKS!
                  Denny

System Specs
                  G400 Max (on order)
                  Kenwood 52x TrueX CD
                  Linksys Etherfast NIC
                  19" Optiquest V95

Comment

hey denny,
                    #1 I used the Tennmax P3TF P-3 cooler per Jorden's advice (very nice but a little expensive-$28.00us)

#2 Yes, the case must go!, I fabricated some clamps that hook right onto the back clamps of the Tennmax with just enough pressure to keep it from falling off, err, revision: use a little frag tape instead of heat grease

#3 It will run at 2.1, but I use 2.2 for the extra juice just to be sure

#4 It's much faster!

birdy, nope, the heatsink and fan was floating in mid air, luckily the wire for the fan was short

jim http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004772.html

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 10 November 1999).]
                    System 1:
                    Epox 8K7A
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try again. I just hate prying things off components, especially CPUs. Could you point me in the direction to where I could pickup the Tennmax?

I can't believe I missed that post the first time. It sounds like you would make Dr. Frankenstein proud. BTW, if possible, could you send me the plans you used to build the ducting for your case? I've been on a few sites that mentioned writing a how-to guide, but it never happened.

Thanks again for your help.

Denny
                      Go DUCKS!
                      Denny

System Specs
                      G400 Max (on order)
                      Kenwood 52x TrueX CD
                      Linksys Etherfast NIC
                      19" Optiquest V95

Comment

http://www.tennmax.com

I have a sheetmetal brake (bends sheetmetal) so it was a little easier for me, however you can do it by hand;
                        along with the fans in my box that cool my: hardrive, video card and case itself, I have a fan in the side of my case that has a "port" formed out of aluminum sheetmetal that goes to prox. 1" away from my cpu and ram memory blowing in, then I have a fan in the rear of my case with another port that's positioned so as to be able to bring the port within 1/4" of the heatsink creating a great flow of air through the Tennmax and the rear heatsink, the pieces I used were only about 12" x 8" and have bends that go around and under the fans hence holding them when screwed on to the case, sorry no pictures yet
                        jim
                        System 1:
                        Epox 8K7A
                        SBLIVE 5.1
                        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        3Com Hardware Modem
                        Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

DuRaNgO:

Next you'll be telling me you have an end mill and a 2 ton press.

Bill
                          People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

I think thats what you use to remove a factory P3 heat sink.

chuck

------------------
                            ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have a P3-450 running at 558 with FSB 124. That's on my BH6 with PC100/PC125 RAM. G400 is still at AGP x2. All is running great.

I actually tweaked the L2 cache latency from its default of 8 to 4, got 200 more points in 3dmark but I don't think it was 100% stable.

I've tried to get this thing going at 600MHz but it just wont make it into Windows. I've tried all voltages, up to 2.3. I've set everything in the BIOS to fail-safe settings, all CAS settings to their max. Nuttin.

I'm using a Tennmax P3TF (Tennmax rocks BTW.) It's attached with aluminum oxide heatsink grease from 2cooltek.com. I doubt removing the CPU case would help because the problem occurs so soon after boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X