Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my system take forever to load up the options for the G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my system take forever to load up the options for the G400?

When i open Display properties, and go to settings, and then advanced, there's a list of options that are for the G400.... Information, Options, Monitor Settings, Color. Well, when i click on Monitor settings, it takes about 3 minutes to finally load the damn page up.... and then when i select the options to change the resolution size, or anything on that tab, it takes another 3 minutes to load up!! It does not freeze, but GOD i takes forever. Does any one else have this problem?

Here are my system specs...

PIII, 450 Mhz
    128 Ram
    Millennium G400 32 megs SH.

Here are the drivers that i have:

Graphics Bios: 1.5-2.2
    Display Driver: 4.11.01.1300
    Mini-VDD: 4.11.01.1300
    Matrox PowerDesk: 5.30.007
    DirectDraw/D3D: 4.11.01.1300
    Microsoft DirectX: 4.07.00.0700

So as far as i know, i have all the latest drivers. Can someone please help me out?

------------------
    McRhea
    McRhea

And while we are at it. I have the problem that it takes about 10-15 seconds to show up the display properties. In comparison, my i740 card did that in one second. Anyone else experiences that problem?

Comment

Yeah, takes me 5-10 seconds for the display properties to show up. Was pretty much instant with my other video cards I've tested.

K6-III 450
      256mb PC133
      Matrox G200
      other random stuff

Comment

What's the speed of your harddrives, how big a swapfile do you run on it and when was the last time you defragged the harddrive??

I just loaded up my display properties and it takes a second for it to appear, 2 seconds to load the first page, then instantly each page after that. HDD speed: 7200 rpm. Swapfile size between 1 and 512Mb.

Jorden
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

McRhea,

Have you installed your G400 in the proper manner? (i.e. uninstall previous drivers, set to VGA adapter, install PD drivers)

Are you sure you have removed all remnants of previous non-Matrox drivers/files (e.g. <code>*.cpl</code> files for removed hardware)?

------------------
          JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
          System Details

"Have you had any licorice lately?"

{Edit reason: It's too early in the morning here..}

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 09 November 1999).]
          <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

I recently have done a full clean install of Windows 98 SE. But I had the problem even in Windows 98. The harddisk is only used for 1-2 seconds (loading the neccesary files). After that the system is simply idle. It looks like the drivers are waiting for some signal from the G400.

Comment

Perhaps the method used by the drivers to poll the graphics card for information is not properly implemented on your systems (McRhea and franksch3)? Mobo name, brand, specs, et cetera, please?

------------------
              JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
              System Details

&quot;Have you had any licorice lately?&quot;
              <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

What are the latest Drivers for the G400? I'm lost when i look at the page at Matrox.com and it gives me a big list of drivers.... i already d/l the 5.30 diver... anything else?
                Here's what i have:

Here's the system:

Gateway
                PIII, 450 Mhz
                128 Ram
                Millennium G400 32 megs SH.
                Mobo is a TABOR II..... probably very crappy.

I did have Voodoo Banshee card before i got the G400.... and i don't think i got rid of all the files for the Banshee before i installed the G400... help!

McRhea

Comment

Hi there...

I think its a win98 thing...I have a dual boot win95 & 98 system...The display properties box loads up instantly in win95 but takes up to ten seconds or so in win98...this occured with my G200 as well as the G400 and with all versions of the drivers...

Comment

I use WIN98/G400Max/5.30Drivers, as long the harddrive is 'awake', the displays just pop up. Maybe a slightly detectable lag for the monitor setting, about a second maybe. So I don't think Win98, the 5.30 drivers, or G200/G400 cards can strictly take the blaim. Do you have the monitors set up correctly, and do you have any old drivers hanging around in your systems?

Mark F.

------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

Mark F

Yeah, i think i have my old VooDoo Banshee drivers hanging around... how do i get rid of them? I don't really want to start deleting files until i'm absolutely sure i know what i'm doing...

On another note, Sammer says that the problem was always there, so... maybe there's nothing i can do about it? And are my drivers up to date?

That's what i have now. Thanks you guys.
                      McRhea

Comment

Yes everything is fine on the MATROX ends of your drivers. I am guessing you have DX7 on your system, I'm still useing DX6.1 so I have a different number for it, 4.06.02.0436 .
                        Haven't had a 3Dfx card in my system, so I can't help on the uninstal/removal, sorry.

Mark F.

------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                        X