HAIG + other brains needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAIG + other brains needed

I recently installed a new system for a stockbroker and put in a G400 with dual monitors. My client has a web page with a feature called "mouse over"-you rest your mouse on one of his charts and it opens up a new full screen window without any of IE5's buttons or toolbars visible. He complained that his new G400 system did not work with the mouse over but his notebook, attached to a network I installed, still did. I upgraded IE5's scripting engine to V5 which improved things a bit but only when dual monitor is disabled, does the mouse over work properly.
    Any ideas anyone as I must get dual monitor compatible-his notebook and the new system all are receiving different live market info and he needs the three monitors functioning and compatible with his web page.

Is it possible for you to post the mouseover code? Maybe there is a workaround.

Does your client use anything other than IE5?

Is the mouseover not working on the second monitor or both monitors?

I bet the problem is inherent to Windows, not Matrox drivers. Most programs that tracks user mouse movements rely on the desktop's dimensions. Throw in multi-monitor and a desktop spreading across two monitors... <font color="#000066">*shrug*</font>

I guess we should get the official word from Haig to be sure.

------------------
    JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
    System Details

&quot;Have you had any licorice lately?&quot;
    <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

What's the URL?

I have both IE4 and 5 installed with a regular logitech mouse (2 button/roller) and a microsoft mouse (2 button/roller), so I can give a quick test for you. I also have a 4 button/roller Kensington mouse to try with.

Haig

Comment

Brent,

To view the code for any HTML page (from IE), go to <code><u>V</u>iew->Sour<u>c</u>e</code>.

If you don't know any HTML, just save the thing and send it to me.

Else, you can look at the JScripts (MS's copycat version of Netscape's JavaScript with a couple of twists) for the onMouseOver event handling codes, and see what is wrong. Probably some stupid non-compatible hack was used to do the onMouseOver code.

Haig,
        If I am not mistaken, Brent client's stuff is probably on an Intranet protected by a firewall.

Of course, I can be <u>wrong</u> about this whole thing.

{stupid HTML mistakes, as usual..}

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 09 November 1999).]

Comment

Hi James,

if that is the case, then there's not much we can do unless he can email us the html pages.

Or maybe you can have a look at these scripts.

Thanks,

Haig

Comment

Thanks James
            Could you elaborate on the "code". How do I get hold of this?
            I think that it is happening on both monitors but I will check tomorrow.
            I agree that it is probably IE5 (used on all his computers-notebook plus 2 desktops) as there was a difference after upgrading IE5 to the latest version on the G400 desktop.
            Some points to ponder-he has 98 on the notebook and SE on the desktops, Direct X 6.2 on the desktops and Direct x 5 on the notebook, his desktop mouse is the latest fancy Logitech 4 button mouse, he has just a "plug and play" monitor driver as one of the two G400 monitors and the other is a Mitsubishi.
            Just clutching at straws but anything is possible.

Comment

Thanks guys for the interest.
              I am trying to get together with my client(he travels a lot) so that I can post some info to the questions raised here. As soon as I can, I will reply.
              I have tried his web site but I think I need a password to get in. If I can get that, I will post his address for you Haig plus others to test.
              PS. How do you do that thing where you bring this thread back up to the top of the page of posts at a later date.

Comment

GD, it rings a bell that my client used Dreamweaver. What could the significance of this be for the mouse over dual monitor problem?

Comment

Haig, I can try.

Brent,
                  If your client has Netscape 4.x, try it with the problematic page.

I have the hunch that any multimonitor setup will exhibit the same bug. As I think event handlers like onMouseOver may not be properly implemented in a multimonitor setup. <u>And</u> the handler code may be assuming the wrong thing on the dimension of the desktop (there is a JScript/Javascript built-in function that reports the desktop resolution, and this may be screwed up or screwing things up).

Hope to hear from you and your client soon!

------------------
                  JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                  System Details

Comment

I use Dreamweaver for creating web pages and as far as I know the "mouse over" event is just a WYSIWYG cover for a "program" written in javascript.

Visual Basic uses a similar event-driven logic but I don't think the're related in any way...

[This message has been edited by GD (edited 10 November 1999).]
                    PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

......Continued
                      The mouse over is working after the new scripting engine upgrade to IE5 but on the G400 system, if you click on "candlestick chart techniques" on the web address supplied below, another instance of IE5 opens but has an error. This happens on both monitors. (My client says that the "codes" can be obtained from the web pages.) http://www.theinvestmenteducator.com...age/page1.html
                      Any ideas????

Comment

I just checked the link I provided and it does not take you directly to the relevant page. To get there, click on "cybertutorials", then "contents of..." and keep clicking on "more..." until you get to page 5 which is where "candlestick chart techniques" is.

Comment

Brent,

Uhh.. Just looked.

Did your client made sure that the file is there? And is the relative path correct?

The offending script function is...

<pre>
                          function launchRemote() {
                          myRemote = launch("../workshop/Fullscreen.htm", "myRemote", "screenX=0,screenY=0,titlebar=0,height=600,width=8 00,menubar=0,channelmode=0,dependent=0,directories =0,fullscreen=1,type=fullwindow,location=0,resizab le=0,scrollbars=0,status=0,too lbar=0", "myWindow");
                          }
                          </pre>

What do you think?

------------------
                          JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                          System Details

Comment

Working...
                          X