MillG400Max has MPEG-1 decoder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MillG400Max has MPEG-1 decoder?

I am somewhat of an newbie with these issues, but I have read a lot on DVDs lately and found an interesting claim on one page:

You see, all these cards have what is called 'Hyped DVD Acceleration'...[snip]..These cards hype the very old MPEG-1 acceleration as DVD acceleration which in fact, is
    something that most cards already implemented back in 1995.
    (http://www.inmatrix.com/pcfaq.html)

Is this true?
    And could someone clarify the issue -
    Does this affect the picture(quality)?
    Is it possible to use MPEG-1 for MPEG-2
    decoding?
    Basically - WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?!?!?!??

J

------------------
    ******yjanni@kuva.fi
    I luv G400 MAX!!
    ******yjanni@kuva.fi ****** Still loving my G400 MAX!!

You'll notice that a lot of video card companies hype their DVD acceleration, which is usually followed my a mention of it being software based, or SoftDVD, and such.
    There is _no_ acceleration being done here. Someone told me it had sometthing to do with DirectX Overlays, yadda yadda. =)
    So no, the G400, the GeForce, the TNT2Ultra et all, do not have hardware DVD decoding.
    As for an MPEG-1 decoder, I doubt it. And it wouldn't work for MPEG-2, if it did exist. Very similar, but very different beasts.

------------------
    P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

What happens in hardware is video ASSISTANCE. The video card does things like overlays, and hardware upscaling, and hardware interpolation, and YUV conversion and whatnot, leaving the CPU free to spend more time doing what it SHOULD be doing, which is decode a binary stream of data into a video frame.

- Ash

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

This signature is not Copyright by anyone. Especially not some guy named Steve. Yeah. That's it. Please don't kill me, Holly.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
      X