Palletized Textures and Anisotropic Filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palletized Textures and Anisotropic Filtering

Hi, guys! (it´s the second time I write, so I have a reason to be excited... oh, by the way, I´m from Portugal)

What does palletized textures do if I enable the with the PD5 registry hacks? Is it faster? Does it make the texture quality worse? And what about anisotropic filtering?

Cheers and thanx in advance.
    Congratulations for these forums, they´re great!

------------------
    Celeron 433, G200 8Mb AGP, Intel Atlanta 440LX, Soundblaster PCI 128, 96 Megs SDram, 15" AOC monitor.

Good question. I know what palettized textures are, but I don't have a clue about the effect of this driver setting.

Anyone?
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Hi Alec,

enabling 'Palettized Textures' in PD will force the drivers to generate textures that are not true color, but palettized ...

It mainly reduces the memory consumption (for example 8 bit compared to 24bit) and should also improve the raw speed.

Anisotropic Filtering is another way to filter mapped textures and it is superior to trilinear mipmapping.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Working Rig:
      Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
      Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
      4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
      Nokia 445Xi (21")
      Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
      Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
      Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
      2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
      Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
      CTX VL710T (17")
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks, people!
        I found an article in 3dgpu.com about palletized textures.
        Ok, it´s from Nvidia, but we are all playing the same game...
        It´s at http://www.3dgpu.com/editor/pallets.cfm

See ya.

------------------
        Celeron 433, G200 8Mb AGP, Intel Atlanta 440LX, Soundblaster PCI 128, 96 Megs SDram, 15" AOC monitor.

Comment

Oi Alec Portugal rulez! De facto és dos primeiros portugas (eu próprio incluído) que aparece por aqui...

E agora àcerca da filtragem anisotrópica em Inglês (macarrónico, infelizmente ) , para o pessoal daqui tb perceber alguma coisa...

Anisotropic filtering, as Maggi said, is superior to bilinear/trilinear filtering. To filter a pixel, it takes the average of the color of a variable number of the surronding pixel to determine the color of that same pixel.

G400 doesn´t properly suport anisotropic, neither it could, because REAL anisotropic filtering involves too much processing power, that the G400 can´t achieve. It partially suports it (minimizing filters, wasn´t it?), so the marketing departement did the rest. So don´t bother about it.

Um abraço de Viseu para Braga!

Comment

Thanks Maggi. I'm wondering if there are special conditions to be met for this setting to become effective, because I don't notice any difference with UT.
            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Obrigado e olá para ti também Nuno (e de Braga para Viseu!)

I finally noticed a HUGE difference with and without Palletized Textures, particularly when playing Thief-The Dark Project. (Can´t say the same with anisotropic filtering).
              I still find the image quality of the old G200 difficult to believe. It´s fantastic.

Listen all ya all, check out PD5 resolution manager v. 2.0, i´ts good...

------------------

Comment

Hmm, not been here for a long while - but here goes....

I can't see that enabling a switch like that in the registry could do what you all say.

Most games with paletted textures have had the artists painstakingly juggling with colours across all the textures to ensure that the palettes don't have to be changed often.

This can't be done automatically.

Especially since changing palettes has to be done explicitly with some API call.

------------------
                Paul Groves.
                -
                http://home.clara.net/paulyg
                OpenGL for Beginners
                Paul Groves.
                -
                OpenGL for Beginners

Comment

Pauly, you are pondering what I'm pondering. And welcome back.

I have no problem understanding anisotropic filtering (thanks Maggi), but palettized textures are not just a yes/no thing.

If I remember well, this setting was introduced with the G200 drivers (4.11 maybe?) for supporting FF7. I assume the drivers did/do not allow for palettized textures when this switch is not enabled. But why not? What's the catch???

Comment

Hi, Scytale and Paulie.

I found a great difference in Thief in particular, and I don´t feel like I´m mistaken in this point. The colors are much more vivid.
                    What might have happened is some kind of change, because I reinstalled Windows inbetween the possible change. The drivers are the same, but I did not do merge the PD5 registry hacks. I ran PD5 Res Manager 2.0, which has those built-in, and I didn´t enable Palletized Textures.
                    My Thief game is cracked, so I didn´t have to install it again. I upgraded to W98 SE, portuguese version. All the rest is the same.

P.S. GLQuake seems to not have changed, for example.

------------------

Comment

Thanks Alec. That does make sense.

I haven't tried Thief yet because I was really trying to get more fps out of Unreal Tournament, one of those 'the more fps the merrier' games. With my settings it looks butt ugly anyway.

Comment

Hi Scytale,

you could check it out with 3DWB99, because that one distinguishes between various anisotropic filtering and that's how I found out that the G400 doesn't support the maximizing version of anisotropic filtering.

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Maggi

Working Rig:
                        Asus P2B-DS @ 103MHz FSB
                        Double Pentium III-450 @ 464 MHz
                        4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
                        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
                        Nokia 445Xi (21")
                        Nokia 447Xpro (17")

Home Rig:
                        Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
                        Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
                        2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
                        Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
                        CTX VL710T (17")
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Actually, the realisation that the G200 has palettised texture support was one of the reasons for me plugging it back in.

I'd been playing with a TNT because it did 'proper' OpenGL. I even dug out my PowerVR (!) card to have a play with its Quake2 wrapper...

Getting back into the 'scene' was quite a shock. (Shame I had to reregister, I'd built up quite a tally of posts )

Anyway, there's no-one slamming Matrox on this message board for an incomplete OpenGL ICD
                          No people claiming that TNTs are going to take over the universe. Its all much more civil
                          On top of this I've got back the lovely colours that I'd forgoten about and those really really high rock steady resolutions...

TNTs, by the way, don't support palettised textures - HA!

------------------
                          Paul Groves.
                          -
                          OpenGL for Beginners
                          Paul Groves.
                          -
                          OpenGL for Beginners

Comment

The W9x ICDs are here, TurboGL is impressive, a working G400 is an excellent card, and even tech support has improved - I bet you were shocked. It's more like a zealot party these days...

Anyway , I agree that palettized texture support is a cool Gx00 feature, but it's going pretty much undiscussed here. Sorta strange because the topic is red hot - it's being widely discussed on the net, and it's considered a simple yet very effective contender for texture compression. Mean and dirty maybe, but very usefull for online FPS...

Comment

Yes, Scytale, I agree, and furthermore, I believe that Palletized Textures should be always an option, for two particular reasons:
                              Firstly, to play over the Internet, like you said; secondly, for those with more obsolete machines that want to squeeze a few more framerates out of their games (although I´m not sure if the difference in framerates with PT´s on and off is significative. In Thief, for example, I didn´t find i much slower.)
                              Anyways, I always chose image quality in detriment of raw speed... That´s why I bought a G200 and not a Voodoo or a TNT (the latter being a tad more expensive). I´m pleased with Matrox.

Seeya...

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X