Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the problems begin Pt2!!!!!

OK Gentelmen and posibly ladies!
    I removed the obsidian and all drivers booted into safe mode removed the matrox in device mgr and the 5.30 utility w the uninstall utility. rebooted put G400 using standard vga adapter rebooted. re-installed the 5.30 drivers and tubo gl and again the turbo Gl scan locked up. I ctrl-alt-deleted the machine reeboted and everthing was fined till the 5.30 folder showed up on the screen and the entire thing locked up again. Any thoughts? Tried calling tech support but they are closed.

Thanx by the way for all your help so far!

Pentium III 500
    Intel tabor II mobo
    Phoenix Bios (Just updated)
    128mg ram
    IBM 14.4G UATA66
    2 IBM 18.2G UATA66 Using Promis Fastrack66
    Controler card in Raid 0 array
    Diamon Viper 550 AGP (Being Replaced R.I.P)
    Quantum 3d Obsidian SX-24 (Voodoo 2)
    Pioneer 103 dvd
    Phillips CDD3610 CDR
    Diamond MX300 sound card
    Windows 98SE (Latest updates done)
    DirectX 7
    HP 4100 CSE scanner
    HP DeskJet 712

Simple =)
    Reformat your drive and reinstall windows from scratch. Only way you can be 100% sure that you've removed any excess crap.
    If _that_ doesn't work then its something deeper. A nice reformat is always the first step though =)

------------------
    P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

Theres gotta b a better solution!
      I think i would send this card back to Matrox before i reformated my hard drive and reinstalled windows. But thanx for the suggestion.

Comment

How about giving us a list of your IRQ's.

Rags

Comment

Unfortunately, I believe the reinstall of Windows every six months or so, if you mess with your machine a lot, is a necessity. The longer you use Windows, the more crap it accumulates. And it really does slow you down.

The fact that you can Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of the lock-up is a good sign (I think).

What's your AGP aperture set to?

Have you disabled all video shadowing in the BIOS?

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ok here goes,

My AGP apature is set to 256, all video shadowing is disabled and below is a list of all my irq settings. Hope this helps.

00 System timer
            01 Keyboard
            02 Programmable interrupt controller
            03 US robotics modem
            04 Comm 1
            05 Monster sound 2
            06 Floppy controller
            07 Lpti printer
            08 System cmos real time clock
            09 Monster sound 2 multi function parent
            09 Intel host usb controller
            09 Irq holdr for PCI steering
            11 Promise ide raid controller
            11 Matrox G400max (standard vga)
            11 IRQ holder PCI Steering
            12 ps/2 mouse
            13 numeric data processor
            14 Primary ide controler
            15 Bus master ide controler
            15 Second ide contrler

Comment

Uninstall the Promise drivers and pull it out. Uninstall powerdesk, reboot and re-install it.

Disable your USB thru device manager.

If this helps, then re-enable your USB and try it out.

Ciao

Comment

I have to agree with G'Cyber, those two IRQ sharings can cause some problems.

Rags

Comment

I also don't think it is a good thing to let FastTrak66 & G400 share the same IRQ..

If Obsidian SX-24 doesn't use any IRQ, put it in PCI1...

If COM1 or PS/2 doesn't connect anything, disable either or both of them. Then BIOS should get enough IRQ, and it can avoid IRQ sharing...

------------------
                  Celeron 300P@558/2.0v, P3B-F, G400DH/32MB
                  P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

I think there are still some Glide dlls/drivers/registry entries hanging around. You can try to remove them all, kind of like surgery, or just reformat (the new-victim approach).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanx everyone! Ill try the things mentioned above tonight and let u know how it goes!

Later Jeff

Comment

my G400max is up and running beutifuly!

Thanx to everyones help and a call 2 gateway, matrox and promise. Just a note, I was very impressed with Matrox's tech support. the wait was only a few minutes and the gentlemen i spoke to was very knowledgable and kind! Thank u Matrox!
                        To anyone who has been folowing this post The answer to the problem was indeed removing the Promise IDE raid controller. However to allow it to work with the matrox i had to move it from PCI slot2 to PCI slot 3 and it cured the problem and reassighned itself to irq 10 which freed up the conflict!
                        Thanx again to everyone! now im off to buy a Rainbow Runner G series.
                        Let the fun begin!

Comment

Working...
                        X