Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIC SD11 (Athlon) windows won't install - SUWIN

Hi,

After running setup (CAB files on CD or harddrive), it will hang at the beginning of the installation (slightly before or after the startup disk creation) with following errors :
    SUWIN in module setupx.dll or
    SUWIN in krnl386...
    I only have a G400 in the system at the moment. I resetted the CMOS and loaded the default values in the BIOS. Harddrive worked fine in previous system. Tried different IDE cables.
    Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
    Ben

The fic mobo's are very finiky as to power supply
    Here's a link that may give you some insight,if that's the problem. http://arstechnica.com/reviews/4q99/...shootem-2.html

Comment

Hehe. I told you not get that mobo!! Did you listen? nooooooooooooooooo

Ciao

Comment

I have the same exact hardware and it works fine. I think from what you are saying, that it sounds like you might have a memory problem. What type of Dimms do you have? Are they the same or 2 different types? I would try and swap out the memory with someone else to test it. Getting the SUWIN error during initial install is almost always a sure sign of a memory related problem. I do not think it has anything to do at all with your G400.

Regards,
        Ed

Comment

One old trick is to disable all caching, but it will take a really long time to install, if it works at all.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for your help.

My powersupply is in the list (or almost). They recommend a PowerMa PSF300-60GT and I have a SDI (sparkle) PSF300-60GT... they are the exact same specs.

Memory would be a logical solution. Although a friend uses the same mobo with memory type and it works fine. I tried 2 DIMMS, both PC100 128 and I am getting the same results. I will try a bran name type later.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

Ben

Comment

By the way. I want to say a Big Big Big Thanks to JAZZ... He helped me out a lot with these issues and even looked like a moron by posting my floppy problems (my system was down, so i asked him to post for me) with the same board... (these were code 18 related...)

so Thanks a million Jazz !!!

Ben

[This message has been edited by armyworm (edited 08 November 1999).]

Comment

Well you're welcome Mr. armyworm. It was a laughing pleasure to help you out this week-end...
                I think this says it all... or does it!!!

Comment

Even if my powersupply is supported, could it be possible that because I have 4 extra fans connected, that it might take more power and lower the needed power input required by the mobo? I doubt that this is the case but we never know...

Thanks

Ben

Comment

If you havent tried this yet,disable spd from bios,it worked with my sd-11!

Comment

I have been thru two of the FICs and on Gigabyte in the last two weeks for my K7 600 and G400 Max...I got a SD-11 on friday, and guess what...everything finally workz...Turned out that the first FIC mobo I had (even though THEY-the PC vendor-said it was the second revision of the SD-11( was the FIRST...woundn't work with HSDRAM PC133...plus many of them are CRAP!!!
                      The one I got friday was an honest to goodness second rev. of the SD-11 and it made ALL the DIFF!!! I would install 98 and get to the "Detecting hardware" and Blue Screen me with Fatal Errors...BTW, I have a Sparkle Power 350W APPROVED PS!!! Anyway, all I can say re: the crapload of FICs out there...is either try to make sure you get the later incarnation of it, keep trying until you get a good one, or try for the MS or better yet, Asus mobo...I am waiting for the KX...with the 133Mhz FSB so I won't go for the Asus now (that's if Asus keeps making them, read where Intel is putting alot of pressure on them and everyone else to stay the hell away from AMD)...
                      I would definetly jump on a Coppermine if I could find the mobos for one!!!
                      After having Pentiums for years, I can honestly say, I have never had this kind of trouble with them or the mobos!!!
                      Good Luck...
                      Kelin

Comment

Kelin, would that be rev 1.7 or 1.8? In my tests (using Powerman PFS300-60GT with a SD-11, rev 1.7) caused spontaneous reboots all over the place. I replaced with K7M and all is well. That's funny, cause after being told by my distributor that the mem I'm using isn't good enough. I considered that for about a sec (figured all they wanted was for me to buy the expensive stuff).
                        Armyworm, take my advise, replace that turkey with an MSI 6167 and your nightmere will be over. Sorry I won't give two thumbs up on the K7M as there are still too many with issue's with it still.

MB tested to date, MS-6167, SD-11 and now the K7M.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'll have to check the board revision tonight... btw what is spd?

Greebe, unfortunately I can only get the FIC at my store... I am getting a great price on it, so I will need to settle with this or go back Intel... but I really want to test drive one of the AMD K7 mobo at home. I will also try another DIMM tonight...

Ben

Comment

I now have the 1.8...BiG DiFF over the older one, or could it be that besides having the older rev, I also had a crap mobo...I have been doing alot of homework on this and have been reading alot of horror stories re: BAD SD-11s...
                            Don't know...have to decide by the 22nd whether to keep the stuff or not...just migh try and go for a Coppermine....And its NOT DUE TO THE K7!!! IT is just the lack of mobo choices and quality...
                            Don't know about the MSI...read where alot of peops are running them fine, without any probs...But, like Armyworm, I can only get the SD and Gig from my local...I am also tempted to take them (mobo and K7 600)back, return for K7 700, and wait for the KX mobo (133FSB, etc)...but, we might see the same type of probs from them, when they first come out...
                            As I said, my P3 450@567, while fairly fast, comes NO WHERE NEAR the K7 600!!!BUT...is that increased speed, etc. worth all of these headaches and frustration I have been having...I install 98 ALOT...but NEVER as much as since 10/22...and I was sooooo excited about getting the K7...Oh well....I always tell everyone else, NOT TO GET AYTHING BRAND NEW!!!
                            But still, if FIC is putting the mobos out there and taking our (at least mine, figure all of your dough is hard earned, too) hard earned money...they can at least make sure that the damn thing does what is supposed to...and I mean from board to board, etc...
                            Well, keep it up, and heres to the Mobo manufaturers telling Inscheml to screw off and make whatever THEY WANT TO!!!
                            Kelin
                            pri sys (98)
                            K7 600 on SD-11
                            256 megs Enhanced HSDRAM
                            Adaptec 2940U2W
                            G400Max
                            Quantum Atlas 10K
                            IBM Ultrastar UW
                            Aureal Vortex 2 SQ
                            3Com NIC

Sec sys(NT, 98, and Linux)
                            P3 450 on Soyo BA6 +III
                            128Megs PC100 (CAS-2)
                            2 UDMA HDs
                            TNT
                            2 V2s (SLI)
                            Creative Ensonic
                            3Com NIC

[This message has been edited by kelin (edited 09 November 1999).]

Comment

Hi all and thanks for your help and advise... problem solved. It was indeed a bad or incompatible DIMM... now all is up and running! !

Comment

Working...
                              X