My video is all "wibbly"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My video is all "wibbly"...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the video forum, I think (?)

I've got a problem with video capture on my RRG/G400 setup. Everything appears to capture OK, but when I play back the MJPEG video it's all wibbly - it wibbles up and down, very fast, maybe at 25 or 50Hz, i'm not sure... It doesn't matter what i use as the source - the TV tuner, or S-Video from a camcorder or VHS deck, the effect is the same. Also, the wibbling is present on both the TV and the PC monitor. If I pause on the clip the wibbling ceases - also, strangely if I jump through single frames they same to be aligned OK; It is only continuous playback that shows the effect. Also, there is a second less severe kind of wibbling - when the video is paused, it shakes up and down, but this is less severe (and perhaps normal?) Again, this happens both on the TV and in the PV-VCR window.

The wibbling only happens at a vertical resolution of 576 lines (everything is OK at 288 lines). The framerate is always 25FPS, the encoding is MJPEG at highest quality. There never any dropped frames. Something else I have noticed is that the wibbling doesn't show in the PC-VCR window *if* the window as at x0.5 size, but it does happen at x1 and fullscreen. It also doesn't seem to happen if I use RGB instead of MJPEG - but then the resolutions available are much lower.

This is a real problem 'cos I need to capture 576 lines! The shaking is *very* severe, more than one line... makes me feel ill watching it. The effect is *always* present, on every recording, and for all of that recording. Any help would be great, I have given up on Matrox UK tech support - they are just terrible, awfull, no good at all I have read some other threads about jittering but they don't seem to be the same problem as mine (?)

Thanks alot everyone in advance,

Smiff

Oh god sorry i've posted to the wrong forum -Ant or Kruzin - could you shunt this over to Dektop Video? Sorry, I'm a tit!

Comment

Done
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

"Sorry, I'm a tit!"

Now if only we could group up into pairs we might be on an earner with Adultserve (or someone).

Hey, let's analyse here. All TIG tweakies pay attention. Right, you don't have any dropped frames on capture and you are using 576 which means you are in the PAL domain, right ?

On playback you get jittercity major. First questions, what are you using to capture and what are you using to play back ?

Just as important, what is your HD setup (placement on headers is more important than brands).

Lastly, holding a VCR on pause always gives jitters (at least on every combination of VCR and TV I've ever tried), so it wouldn't be suprising to get a similar effect from a stills-cap of a paused frame. This isn't your problem, I thought that I'd just throw it in to get the pirhanas biting

Comment

Ah the man himself

Right, no dropped frames, and I'm in the UK so PAL yep.

I am using PC-VCR (from VideoTools 1.51) and MediaStudio 5.2, using the same application for capture & playback. I tried Premier 5.1a but it locks up right after I stop capturing (any idea why?)

I have three HDDs, an old slow 4GB Quantum (which I don't use for video at all) and two Maxtors; one 10GB 5400rpm (can't remember the model), and a brand new 14GB DiamondMaxPlus 6800 7200rpm, which are the ones I capture to. I don't understand what you mean by "placement on headers" though sorry (?) If you mean cabling, the faster HDD has its own channel, the other two share the other channel. My CDROMs etc are all SCSI. I was meaning to use a SCSI HDD but it just picked a great time to die on me

Thanks, er, "Idiot" (what else can I call you?) Any pirhanas feeling at all peckish? BTW what's a TIG tweaky??

Comment

<frowns>

Hmm. Well that seems to rule out the most common stuff. Are you using the capture drive for anything else as well, or JUST for the captured AVIs ?

Other than that it is looking like a field reversal problem which is worrying (from my point of view anyhow, since there seems to be a rash of them recently).

Still thinking......

[This message has been edited by This_Idiot (edited 04 December 1999).]

Comment

No, the capture drive isn't doing anything else at all...

What can I do about field reversal? if this means anything, the shaking seems to be across at least 3 or 4 lines, it is so severe!

Hmmm... this is not looking good, is it?

Comment

Little nagging sensation in back of skull that I can't quite define .....

In the capture drivers there's an "automatic" as well as PAL and NTSC. Can you try disabling the automatic and enable PAL manually then let me know if it makes any difference

Comment

If you mean the option on PC-VCR under Video > Input Standard , it doesn't make any difference at all whether its on automatic or not. I think what i said before about it moving across 3 or 4 lines might have been wrong - perhaps its only one line, i can't really tell.

well I'm stumped! Bad hardware? this is the second RRG i've had... the first one didn't seem to have MJPEG at all!

Comment

I've got the same problem.

G400+RRG+Playback=Vertical Jitter
                    (BAD Hardware)

Don't think that the Matrox Tech Support
                    can help you.

G200+(the same)RRG=non Vertical Jitter !!!!
                    (another)G400+(the same)RRG= Vertical Jitter

?8-(

Comment

Re-e-eeaally! (that's s'posed to sound like Jim Carey in Ace Ventura, hard to do with text

OK Im thinking this might have something to do with clock rate on the G400 - the RRG gets its timings from the host. I'm just gonna try with my G400 at default core/mem clock and see what happens. Be right back!

Smiff

Comment

I had an occurance like that with a game when i used my input of my Dreamcast on my Marvel G400-TV. It would happen when the resoultion changed and the video would vibrate rapidly, what i did was go back into preferences and just click on NTSC again and it stoppped.. maybe if you just click over PAL it'll do the same.

By the way im also having a weird problem if nayone didng read my other message. Everytime i boot up my puter i getting a BUZZING sound comming out of my speakers through line in. It only occurs right when windows starts up , anyone know what is causing this?, im using a G400-Marvel. The buzzing seems to stop when i want to try to use the capture.. but its annoying as hell when i dont use it, it sounds like a sound effect from an old atari game really loud..

Comment

The vertical jitters on PAL we are having it seems to be a field inversion.
                          This is why on a small window the problem does not appears but when you increase the windows size or you go full screen there is a point in which the video switches to interlaced mode and then you see the jitters.
                          We can do nothing to solve it. The bug is within the video tools.

I was told that the next VT will fix it.

I suspect that a lot of G400DH+RRG PAL are having the problem but It seems that some people just don't see it. If you don't have horizontal line, like logo's or text, you don't see the vertical jitters but just
                          a poor defined image. This could be the reason why somebody said that the Marvel G400 offers a better output picture but I think the RRG is not working as it should.
                          Let hope Matrox will give us a fix before the next version of "RRG" will come out!!!!

Comment

Joining the train: G400max+RRG, on "SVHS" pic is vertically shaking.
                            RC
                            RC

Comment

Hi Roby,

I 'hope' since 8/99. (next VT... next VT....)

Who told you that the "Jitter" will be
                              fixed in the next VT-Version ?

Do you really think that all other RRGs
                              have the same jitter-error and the users
                              don't see it ?

The Matrox Tech. Support didn't see anything.
                              My RRG (+G400) came back last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X