Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and AGP x2

Hi,

Sorry if you've all heard it before but i can't get my G200 to do AGP x2.
    I've tried the reg hacks but when i reboot my screen looks like the refresh rate is all screwed up, needless to say it then locks up completely, and i have to boot up in safe mode to undo the damage.

Dare i say it, my mobo chipset is from VIA

Any ideas ?

TIA
    Scouser

I've just moved over from a K6-III 450 to a Celeron 300A@450MHz because of incompatabilities with my damn SS7 mobo. I had a TMC TI5VGF (The one with 6 PCI slots).
    The Soundblaster Live doesn't work properly with the VIA chipset - crackling sound.

And more seriously, Maxtor HDD's don't work! I tried three different generations of drive.

Anyway I'll stop moaning now.........

------------------------
    ABit BE6, Celeron 300A@450MHz, 256MB PC100 RAM, G400 32MB DH, SBLive Value, LS-120, IBM22GB HDD, etc etc

Comment

Oh thanks, Chris, NOW you tell me...

My drive works, but I suspect it, as I have always suspected Maxtor drives, of harboring secret and subtle incompatibilities....

Now I have something to hang my hat on...

-------------------------------
      the once and future motub

Comment

I have a ss7 mobo (Epox MVP3G-M rev 1.0)
        and am having no problems at all with G200 running in agp 2x mode. I also have a SBLive! and no problems there. As for the Maxtor hdd, I have a DiamondMax Plus 10.2g 7200rpm drive, and it works at 124fsb (41.3 pci) with no problem. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Lets hope the luck keeps up when I get my MAX

Comment

Hi,

For any VIA chisets. be sure to have :

- AGP patch
          - Bus Mastering Patch
          - IRQ Mini-Port patch

I heard that they had a new 4 in 1 patch now available.... Also be sure to ALWAYS get these patch directly from www.viatech.com and not from your mobo manufacturer... they are often out of dates there..

Ciao

Ben

Comment

Yeah, that's about right.

Aside form the issues Matrox has with the via mvp chipset, i don't think that the g200 will do agp2x on a socket 7 board. Mine is set at 2x but I know that with as poor of a performance as my g200 gives me it is not doing 2x.

My 2 suggestions are get a celeron PII or PIII , or get a TNT2 you will be much more pleased with the performance, and you will see many of the headaches dissappear.

Well, that is MHO.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, Scouser, that seems to be the way it is. I'm a SS7 user too (see .sig), and I'm starting to agree with Nerdboy. Bought myself a BX board...probably will get a Celery and a additional ATX box within the month...just to tide me over till the Athlon prices come down...

------------------
              the once and future motub

"...\Till the one day when the lady met this fellow\ And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.." What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

Comment

Most of the problems on SS7 motherboards come from trying to jsut move everything from another platform to it (not all but most).

The VIA drivers need to beinstalled and then the Matrox ones.

I have a Tyan S1590S with a G200 at AGP 2X and it has been there (2X) since it was installed (without tweaking). Also 3 Maxtor HD's - all working perfectly fine. Sound card is ISA not PCI - SBAWE32PNP.

I have installed a Silent Serpent from Concept Engineering on an FIC503+ to reduce electrical noise and the G200 went from AGP 1x to AGP 2x.

It depends a good deal on the amount of electrical noise on a particular board as to how much of a problem you have.

Just my 2¢ worth

------------------
                Dean
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

back on top ... fukking DF31 & loserants

------------------
                  Cheerio,
                  Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1009 final
                  Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
                  128MB 7ns SDRAM
                  G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

up

------------------
                    and ty%&§!° went down again

Helmchen

Comment

This is the first I've heard about "Silent Serpent" and electrical noise supression. I have the system configuration below (SS7, VIA MP3) and experience sound recording distortion when I capture video to an ATA/66 Western Digital 7200 RPM drive. I have to drop the drive to ATA/33 to fix the sound distortion (popping, cracking).

Could the electrical noise be the problem? I also ran PClist and noticed that my AGP is at 1x instead of 2x. This is also because of electrical noise?

Tony

System Configuration:

Mainboard: FIC PA-2013 Rev. 2.0, 2 MB Cache
                      Chipset: VIA MVP3
                      CPU: AMD K6-2 400
                      Memory: 128 MB PC100 non-ECC
                      BIOS: Award v. 115JI36, AGP 2x enabled
                      Matrox Marvel G200-TV AGP, 16MB
                      Promise Ultra66 HD ATA/66 PCI controller
                      Maxtor 10GB 7200 RPM ATA/66 on Promise Ultra66 IDE1
                      Western Digital 18GB 7200RPM ATA66 drive on Promise Ultra66 IDE2
                      40x CDROM on Mainboard IDE1
                      6x2 CD-R on Mainboard IDE2
                      No shared IRQs

Comment

I've never had a problem with my Maxtor drives. They've been better troopers than my WD drives, anyways. And quieter.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have finally figured out why the FIC PA-2013 motherboard does not appear to support AGP 2x and I have corrected the problem on my motherboard. The manual is not clear about the AGP clock setting. The jumper settings specified in the manual for PC100 memory synchronize the AGP clock to the 100MHz FSB (1/1 ratio). To clock the AGP bus at 2/3 FSB (66 MHz for a 100MHz FSB), set the CLK4 jumper to 2-3 and the SDRAM1 jumper to 1-2. You may still need to force AGP2x in the registry, but it will run 2x very reliably.

Comment

I also have the FIC 2013 and get my G400 steady at 2X without forcing it... just remember that for the G200 you will need the 5.25 since the 5.30 will leep you at 1X... important word in all this is : have the latest patches for that mobo...

Comment

I stand corrected from another forum. I upgraded to Windows 98 SE with the FIC PA-2013 jumpers set for PC100 memory as per the manual (CLK4 1-2 and NBCLK1 2-3, SDRAM 2-3, NBCLK2 1-2). I am now running at AGP 2x (according to PCIlist) after tweaking the registry. I am running PowerDesk 4.33.045 with AGPFlags = -1 in the My_Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Matrox\Pow er_Desk\Current_Settings\.

Setting the jumpers as I stated in my previous posting was the only way that I could get Win 95 OSR2 to work at AGP2x, but Win 98 SE seems to work fine at AGP 2x with the jumpers specified as per the manual and forcing AGP 2x in the registry.

I'm not sure if this works for Power Desk 5.x, but upgrading to Win98 SE seemed to be the trick for Power Desk 4.33.

Tony

Config: FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 2MB Cache, AMD K6-2 450 @500, 128 MB PC100 RAM, Promise Ultra66, 2 x 7200 RPM IDE Drives, Win 98SE, Matrox Marvel G200 AGP 16MB, Silent Serpent, Creative SB PCI512.

Comment

Working...
                              X