AMD plus DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD plus DVD

I was wondering if other AMD users had any problems with using UDMA with their drives. I have found that normal DMA isn't a problem and gives almost as fast results with my Pioneer 10X drive. This is using the 4.14 4 in 1 update from Via. Doesn't matter what player I use or what DVD, about 15 mins into a movie it will lock up with UDMA, but will play movies for hours with normal DMA. Doesn't really make a lot of sense unless it's a driver bug or a drive firmware issue. Any AMD users have UDMA working with this or older drivers?

Player review:

Cinemaster (G400 version) is the fastest on my K6-3 448, sound sucks though, I need 4 speaker output (MX300), there is just no other way to go. Less than 50% cpu usage. Misc problems with inflexible screen modes and lack of control. Messing around with Region Selection 2.57 is a drag and I'm never sure it the newer engines really work properly with it's several different registry sections. If it ever gets updated, I'll try it again but for now it's on the top of my junk pile.

WinDVD is the overal champ, sound is best with LFE and 4 channel hack, picture quality is best. Around 95% cpu usage full quality mode, no appreciable difference by turning off image quality settings.

PowerDVD has neat features for making movies full screen and does quad sound nicely (crappy prefs), but lacks speed. 100% cpu usage 2.0906 version. 2.0915 is faster (75%) and there is a 2.5 coming along but it's a Euro deal which means a hardware decoder would cost as much to buy if you could haggle and scratch enough at them to send it to you.

Overall, I don't think my cpu is a problem for playing back DVDs (most I tried were widescreen format), but the players in general could use some work. Misc thought about a DVD card is that I'd be stuck using the bundled player.

I think some players work with UDMA and others don't. My old system has a UDMA Samsung hard drive and a Mitsumi 32x CD-ROM. I have to disable UDMA for the CD-ROM or else everything locks up.

My new system has a UDMA Maxtor hard drive and a Toshiba 6x DVD player. On this I can run both the HD and DVD in UDMA mode in VIADMATOOL. Both systems are AMD/VIA with 4.14 4in1's.

If you get lock ups, It looks like you will just have to disable UDMA for your DVD or CD in VIADMATOOL. That should solve the lockups.

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 07 November 1999).]
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Actually, a better way is to use your BIOS to simply not check for UDMA, that way you get DMA instead of PIO in ViaDMATool.

I am using UDMA with my hard drive just fine, I have the hard drive on the first IDE channel and the DVD on the second IDE channel, both primary and set to master. The DVD drive is only around a month old, so perhaps a firmware update will address the problem. Would like to hear is other Pioneer 104S users are having the the same problem on AMD systems though.

Comment

I have a K6-3 450 system with a Pioneer 103S (the 6x regionless version ) and it runs in UDMA mode fine. I got a firmware upgrade for it a little while ago, since before that is only used DMA mode. No lockup problems or anything with a epox mvp3g-m mobo.

Comment

Well I have the k6-3 450 and Pioneer 103-s, it runs udma without any problems, Im using firmware 1.15 with the drive.
          System:
          Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
          AMD Thunderbird 800
          SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
          Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
          LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
          IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
          Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
          WinME
          directx 8.0a
          384mb pc133

Comment

All but my CDRW drive use UDMA and I have no problems.

Joel

------------------
            System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Ok, so from these responses I can give more weight to it being a firmware issue, there is a 1.24 firmware update out for the tray model of the Pioneer 10x (114), still nothing for the slot model (104S) though.

Thanks.

Comment

Spoke too soon:

This is 1.23 for the 104S:
                http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/device_e/dev00000r_e.html

Comment

And that didn't fix the problem..

Comment

Have you tried running both your HDD and DVD on the same cable on your primary IDE channel? I get much better read times that way, but it still didn't help my old CD/ROM.

RAB
                    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I thought about it already, I will try that the next time I am feeling energetic about it.

Comment

Tried it out, no solution. Also tried a shorter IDE cable, that seems to get me a bit further along, but it still hung eventually. I'm thinking the drive is just too fast for my system.

Comment

Working...
                        X