Problem with the MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with the MAX

Can someone tell me how to get the "use device bitmaps caching" and "use bus mastering" to work? If I check the boxes and then play games, they freeze all the time. I've isolated those to be the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix this. By the way, will getting these to work speed up the card by much (cause right now, it's kind of slow in games like Unreal and Drakan)?

My specs in case you need them:

AMD K6 300
    192 megs RAM
    G400MAX
    RealMagic (DVD Card)
    10/100 Network Card
    Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI
    2 HD's

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks

------------------
    "Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that men never learn anything from history"
    -- George Bernard Shaw
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

What motherboard are you using? An IRQ table would be good. That Network card of yours isn´t sharing an IRQ with your G400, is it?

If your mobo uses a VIA chipset be sure to use the latest drivers (4 in 1 or something like that, I don´t have one myself).

Set the AGP Aperture size to 128 Mb or more and disable all video shadow/caching in the bios.

I´m not sure about use device blah blah, but bus mastering will give you a very considerable performance increase (as it is suposed to be, anyway...)

PS: So it was a MAX after all...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 08 November 1999).]

Comment

yup yup, was the MAX. I didn't pay much attention to a large "fan thingy" when I installed it.... I have a VIA chipset (IWILL mobo XA 100) and am running Win 98 SE so the 4 in 1 thing doesn't work. I did on the other hand download the AGP driver (which I successfully installed) and the bus-mastering driver (which doesn't work - I seem to have a registry error somewhere). If that helps you to help me, great.... I'll try that bios thing shortly and let you know how it goes. Thanks
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

K6-300 ? After trying the BIOS ting and cheking your IRQ conflict. Try to force your AGP to X1 with Reghack. With out your busmastering your max is not a max . K6-300 ? To slow for a G400 max my frend have the same configuration as you but not the max version. With a K6-300 he have a very por result.

------------------
        Sorry for my English.
        A G400 in a new G4 have wing's
        My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
        --------------
        I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
        (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
        Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

Yes, but check those IRQ´s. The G400 should be in IRQ 9 or higher and it shouldn´t share the IRQ (except for an IRQ holder for PCi steering). Sometimes if it shares IRQ you simply can´t enable busmastering.

oops space7, we were posting at the same time... good advice thought

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 08 November 1999).]

Comment

yeah, no IRQ conflicts. About the k6-300 deal, it's going to an Athlon 550 or higher very soon Space 7...
            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, I tried putting the aperture size to 128 and 256. I then disabled all the bios shadow things. I enabled bus mastering in windows, restarted my computer and it crashed faster then it ever did before. I disabled bus mastering, but now I'm where I was before. Any more ideas? As long as we're at it, do you know how I can fix the registry error so I might be able to update my bus-mastering stuff so that maybe it will work?
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Trying to force the AGP to X1 I am 80% shure that this gonna solved your problem. Download RegHacks in the download area.

------------------
                Sorry for my English.
                My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
                --------------
                Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

Follow these steps in order and see if it works (does for my Via based board):

Download the new G400 drivers (which you have already =) ), download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD 5.30, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

Comment

what do I do? I just downloaded it. I just click on the icon for AGPx1?
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Wach what rags says if you alredy don all he say's then yes you click on it and restart.Whit X1 you gonna not get speed decrease. And don't forget to enable busmastering.

------------------
                      Sorry for my English.

Osho
                      --------------

Comment

Space is correct to force 1X if you installed the patch in turbo mode, but when you install it in normal mode, it does 1X, without a choice.

Rags

Comment

ok, thanks. I'll try it.
                          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks. It certainly helped (it hasn't frozen yet). Rags, what is this turbo thing you're talking about? I downloaded the 5.30, but does this have the turbo stuff in it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just found out about this place yesterday and haven't explored any of the other messages. Thanks for your help so far everyone.
                            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

That refers to the installation option for your Via chipset patch, there is a turbo mode and a normal mode. If you choose turbo, the AGP drivers for your motherboard will allow more aggressive timings on the memory and will allow AGP 2X (if the video card drivers test okay). If you select normal, you get normal timings with AGP 1X.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X