Has anyone done the 140fsb with G400MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done the 140fsb with G400MAX

I might sound a bit mad ???? But I would really like to use all the power that I have wrung out of my o\c cpu.

I know that if i purchase a SOYO board I can use their 1\2 AGP divider,but at the moment I am very happy with the board I have.

My Specs

P3 450 o\c to 630mhz :P (truly 100% stable)
    Alpha P3 125 Copper Embedded Heatsink
    Abit BE6 mobo
    Sb Live Value (Liveware 3.0)
    3DFX V2 12mb
    S3 Virge (borrowed) until the max ships
    Diamond Super Express 56e modem
    21"Sony Monitor
    Supermicro SC-750 Full Tower Case (5 Fans + Sound Profing)
    10X Pioneer DVD Dual Pickups

Any info on this subject gratefully recieved

Matt {:O)

I just had my SH G400 clocked at Max speeds running on 150 FSB, so it's possible for it to work.

Rags

Comment

Mathew, three questions: How did you sound-proof your SC-750 case? Also, How did you attach your processor/Alpha P3-125 to your mb? and What kind of memory are you running?

------------------
      Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones and Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 06 November 1999).]

Comment

Well I just had to lower the noise level in my case cos the Alpha and five case fans certainly kick out some db's,so I got the idea of lining the inside of the case with expanded foam.

It might sound a bit mad but it works a treat :]

I went to a upholstery shop hear to where I live and purchased some 1" (25mm) foam and cut it to size to fit the side pannels and top of the inside of my case.

there's no problem with heat because all upholstery foam has to be fire retardant "not that that's a problem heh heh)

It appears to cut down a lot of the vibration caused by all the fans which used to resonate through the case(sort of like what they do to the inside of car bodywork).

Also It helps if you run all the fans in your case at low voltage(exception alpha & power supply)

This does'nt mean that my case temperature would go up either because even with 5 case fans running at low voltage it's quieter than just 2 running at normal voltage.

Case temp 24 deg c & CPU Temp 27 deg c

Oh yeh my memory is of generic type pc100 sdram and it must be very good quality cos it out performs my bro's pc133 sdram,and it only cost me £70.00 about year ago.cannot tell you much more about it"I guess I just got lucky".

And with regards to hanging that huge lump of alley of my motherboard well it just sorta hangs there,but I have been looking to put some sort of brace across it just to be sure that it does'nt decide to go walk about lol LoL .

Hope I have answered your questions regards

matt {:O)

Comment

Matthew, you turned your level two cache off to run your cpu at 630?

Comment

No need my SL35D has very good cache chips and it works stable at default latency which I think is 8,well I think thats what someone said that it is.

But I have never needed to change them {:O)

Comment

Yo Fatebender I thought I told you that allready,its not a problem though because some people have to have a second look :]

Regards Matt {:O)

Comment

Mathew - I have opened up my case a bit by drilling out all the front cover holes to 0.375 inches or 9.4 mm. I found this helps cooling a lot. I am able to cool my case with only the fan above the power supply and an additional fan next to the cpu (also the fan in the power supply). In order to increase airflow across the cards, I covered the side vents in the sides of the case. I also covered the upper fan hole in the front of the case. All these changes cooled the air by the cpu (I put a thermocouple by the cpu). Adding fans in the front of the case had very little effect on the cpu temperature. I also cut out all the fan openings to increase air flow. This helped some. I found the vibrations in the case sides to be a significant contributor to the sound, as you have. I quieted my case down alot by adding a couple small pieces of foam between the case sides and the frame. This damped alot of the vibration from the fans. The PCP&C power supply I substituted also quieted down the case a bit. The 300-W ps supplied with the case was quite noisy. The greatest noise I found was generated by the front fans. Once those are dissconnected, everything is much quieter. As I said, they don't cool the cpu worth beans in my setup. I left two installed, but not connected electrically in case I want some more airflow in the future.

In case you are interested, I secured my Alpha by passing two large rubber bands from a hole in the rear of the case, across the Alpha between the fans, and through a hole in the side of the case meant to be used as a mb mount for a different size mb. The ends of the rubber bands are secured with paper clips. The permanent setup I will use for the heatsink will entail a large plastic tie through the same path as the rubber bands and extending around the case. I have not found this length of tie yet, but I know they exist.

------------------
                Win98SE, 600 PIII @672 MHz (@2.40 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300 with Senheiser HD-600 headphones and Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

If you're using zip-ties, they will string together You don't need one huge one, just 2 or three of decent size.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

mathew : out of topic.. wat SOYO mobo supports 1/2 AGP divider ?

------------------
                    Giga Byte 6BXE, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram
                    G200 8M SD, driver 5.25, Bios 1.6

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

err, I thought latency of 8 shuts off the cache on P-3's?
                      jim
                      System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

err, latency above 8 shuts it off. BTW, default P3 450 on his system gave a 3dmark at 800X600 of 5550, 675Mhz gave a result of 6100. Pretty hard to perform like that if the L2 was disabled isn't it

Rags

Comment

Then thanks for answering again, I lost track of that other thread.

Comment

Thats a good idea Brian I think I have some tie raps in the garage ;]

I think that you would still be advised to add a couple of fan at low voltage to your case though,its just that its best to have equal air in as air is drawn out thus avoiding turbulance and hot spots.

regards Matt {:O)

Comment

Wombat, thanks for the reminder. I found a bonanza of ties at Home Depot. Up to 34" (.9 M) long. These are too wide though. I bought a can containing a bunch of different sizes. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X