Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floppy issue with FIC SD11 - Help needed

Hi all,
    Installing an Athlon 500 in an FIC SD-11. It won't boot off the floppy. The system boots but if I insert a boot disk the light turns on (and stays on) and that's it !!!
    Tried a different floppy and cables (they both work in a different system) and same problem. Properly configured in the bios as primary boot device.
    Any ideas???
    As soon as I turn the computer on the light on the floppy turns on and stays on... The drive is never accessed even in DOS.

What you are saying is what usually happens when the cable is in backwards ie. pin 1 is not attached to pin 1.Double check your connections.
    Hopefully that's it,Good luck!

Comment

Nope. Unfortunately that's not it. Cable is properly connected. What is the possibility of the floppy connector on the motherboard being defective?

Comment

You've probably already checked this but is your PS one of the ones approved by AMD for the Athlon? PS problems can teach even the most experienced amongst us a lesson in humility at times, frequently causing seemingly unrelated problems. If I recall correctly this mobo is sensitive to the type of PS used as well.

------------------
        BX6r2, 128MB PC100, C366A@567, Pan DVDwHollywood+,Pan 4X SCSI II CDR, WangDAT, Quantam UDMA HDs, Fireport 40 UW, SBLive!Value (attached to bi-amped TEAC/Hitachi multimedia system), SMC Intel 21041 NIC, etc. G200 Mystique as well.

Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
        Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
        #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
        #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
        etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

That's always a possibility,(faulty floppy connector)however,double check the connections and make sure all the pins are lined up.Perhaps you could temporarily use a controller card to verify integrity of system and boot that way>However that may be a lousy way to live!
          Have you tried reversing the cable? Sometimes fic's manuals are a little screwed up.Remember their first 503+ mobo's? Released them with the jumper settings backwards.Had a lot of people pissed off!
          Please don't take my suggestions as demeaning,just been there and done that,and have found many times it's the little things we miss that is the problem.
          If you have tried all the obvious,then it may be the floppy connector and rma the board.
          Quite right on the power supply, fic's mobo is very finiky on power supply,so check that out.

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 07 November 1999).]

Comment

Well... Thanks for the suggestions.
            Power Supply is in the list. Doubled checked the cable (it will only go in one way) and it's in ok. Pins align correctly. All other suggestions are welcomed. Still going to install Windows from the CAB files I've copied to the harddrive from another system... Wish me luck.

Comment

Problem solved.
              I'm not going to mention what the problem was... Let's just say I was posting all of this for my neighbor who's system was down. (He's also a Murcer so look for someone within a day or so bragging about their new Athlon...) Sometimes the weirdest things can cause problems...

Comment

Ah, c'mon JAZZ,what if someone did the exact same thing. They would be lost without knowing!
                Besides we're all grownups here, no one will laugh

Comment

Let's put it this way... I'm not going to give up his identity but I'm sure a guessing game would be fun...
                  I'll let that someone explain what the problem was...
                  Name a Murcer that hasn't posted in the past two days or so... I gotta a feeling someone's going to kill me Ain't it fun?

[This message has been edited by JAZZ (edited 07 November 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                  X