Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slap it in the slot ... ahh but which one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slap it in the slot ... ahh but which one??

This one's a bit off-topic, sorry! Also sorry if the subject got anyone's hopes up!! This is as dull as it gets

I need to add an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller to my Abit BH6 (the older one). Trouble is I can't remember which slots share IRQs... and which of my PCI cards need an IRQ, I think it's all of them (?)

The other PCI cards in the machine are
    SBLive (IRQs11+5, the 5 cannot change)
    Intel EtherXpress Pro100B NIC (IRQ3, happy on almost anything)
    AVM internal ISDN controller (IRQ4, also happpy on most others)

I need both EIDE channels. The SB16 emulation must go on IRQ5. There's my G400 in there on IRQ10, and an old Adaptec 1502 ISA SCSI adapter that only seems to work on IRQ12. I don't need any serial or parallel ports and have no PS2 stuff (the mouse & keyboard are USB, wich has IRQ11). IRQs 7 and 9 are free. ACPI is off.

How it looks now:

03 - Ethernet
    04 - ISDN (internal)
    05 - SB16 emulation
    07 - FREE
    09 - FREE
    10 - G400
    11 - SBLive & USB (is this bad?)
    12 - ISA SCSI
    14 - IDE
    15 - IDE

If anyone call tell me exactly where to put each bit, before I get the screwdrivers out, that would be most helpfull ... I really don't want to spend all weekend using my usuall technique (its called trial & error ) If i've left something important out that you need to know please ask!

Smiff

irq 11 is fine, go into the bios and set irq 7 as isa/legacy, and enable update configuration, I believe the isa scsi card will go to 7 and the pci one will have a choice of the higher irqs, just don't put the card in the slot near the vid card
    jim

------------------
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100
    Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak-410mhz, 2.5, 2), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
    3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
    Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
    Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
    Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
    Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

"Slap it in the slot...."

That's what she said!!!! DOH!!!!

Sorry, it's Friday...Heheheh

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thanks DuRaNgO. Problem is, i'm pretty sure the ISA SCSI wont work on IRQ7. Gives a yellow exclamation mark (!) I've only ever had it working in this machine on IRQ11. Everything wants 11 dammit!! I'll try what you said in a minute when I've finished downloading a Travelling Wilburys album. Have any of you guys used napster? its frickin' AWESOME!!

Back in a mo...

Comment

Slap it in the slot ... ahh but which one??
          Pretty simple, just reach down and put it in the first slot that your hand finds, if she complains, either play with her for a bit and see if she purrs, or try a slot a little further down.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 06 November 1999).]

Comment

LOL No Rags if she purrs take her to a vet and find yourself a woman

OK back to work I set IRQ 7 to Legacy and turned Force Update ESCD on (the closest thing I could find to "enable update configuration", is that what you meant?) and rebooted. Nothing changed! I understand that I shouldn't use the PCI slot next to the AGP - but come to think of it I can't 'cos my RRG is in there (Doh!) This means that I have no choice - all the other four slots must be filled. I'm pretty sure that the PCI SCSI card will need its own IRQ - can any of the others (out of: ISDN, EtherNet & Sound) share with something else or each other? The reason I ask is that someone told me that slots 4 and 5 on the BH6 always share. This makes sense since there are only four items in the bios PCI IRQ priority list (if that makes any sense). So two of my cards are going to have to share! But which two should it be?

God its late I'm going to bed! Many thanks in advance: I'm looking forward to all those helpfull replies (hint hint nudge nudge to rags & albpm when I get up tomorrow

G'night All!

Comment

Smiff, IRQ 7 is for your printerport LPT:1

Can't you give it an interrupt of it's own in the BIOS? PnP and PCI Setup is the screen to look for if you have an Award BIOS.

Jorden, dismissing them sex-craved BB's around here...
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Here's a stupid question. Why do you need 2 scsi cards?

Ciao

Comment

Jorden: I don't need the printerport (I use a network) So I hope somat else can have 7 (?)

GinoCyber: Its not a dumb question. My dumb f**k scanner (an old AGFA snapscan) destroys the SCSI bus if its connected to the 2940. I think its because it isn't actively terminated (why Why WHY????) and it has caused me so much shit you wouldn't believe. I have to slow down my HDD for the PC to even start and even then I get all kinds of wierd problems. GRRRRRR! So it has to have its own SCSI bus and that's the nasty cheap ISA card it came with

Well unless anyone has any flashes of inspiration I'm gonna have to jsut sacrifice a goat and go for it. Thanks anyway, and wish me luck!

Comment

BH6's PCI4 & PCI5 share the same IRQ...

So You can let SB Live! & EEPro100 share the same IRQ, and it shouldn't be a problem...
                    (At least it works with my MB...)

PCI4: EEPro100
                    PCI5: SB Live!

Then put your IDSN & 2940 to PCI2 and PCI3...

Don't put anything on PCI1 if it is possible.. Otherwise, you had better choose a non-Bus Master PCI device on it...

I think the ISA SCSI adapter coming with your Scanner is ISA PnP compatible, so you don't have to reserve any resource on ISA. Or you might not have enough IRQ...

The most important thing is that you have to make sure that you set

PnP OS Installed:No

------------------
                    Celeron 300P@558/2.0v, P3B-F, G400DH/32MB
                    P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

If i were you i would just get a new scanner. They have some nice USB ones now that are fast and high res + pretty small footprint and under $150. Sometimes its more effective to replace the problem rather than spend 10 hours trying to work around the problem. i learned that when i got my MAX, and had to replace my ****ed up mb and chip. But only after i wasted a week trying to get it to work..

------------------
                      </list>
                      PIII 450 @ 464
                      generic BX6 motherboard
                      G400 MAX : )
                      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                      Creative 36x CD-ROM
                      HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
                      64 megs PC100 RAM
                      Intel 10/100
                      Soundblaster 32 AWE
                      DiamondMAX 56k
                      Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
                      4 large fans.

Comment

Thanks WayneHu, that's just what I was looking for!

OK now I can started ... If I'm not back in a couple off days send out the search party, 'cos something went horribly wrong

Comment

The 1520 SCSI card uses jumpers to set the IRQ used. The diagrams etc for the jumper settings are available at the Adaptec site. It is best to reserve the IRQ needed for a legacy device, don't count on the ISA plug and pray working with the BH6, I speak from experience with both the MB and the SCSI card. The BH6 board died an unatural death (quit recognizing the keyboard among other misdemeanours). The 1520 card is still going in another system.

------------------
                          BX6r2, 128MB PC100, C366A@567, Pan DVDwHollywood+,Pan 4X SCSI II CDR, WangDAT, Quantam UDMA HDs, Fireport 40 UW, SBLive!Value (attached to bi-amped TEAC/Hitachi multimedia system), SMC Intel 21041 NIC, etc. G200 Mystique as well.

Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
                          Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
                          #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
                          #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
                          etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

Hmm...

AVA-1502 & AHA-1520 are different adapters... I saw that he wrote 1502, not 1520 ...

------------------
                            Celeron 300P@558/2.0v, P3B-F, G400DH/32MB
                            P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Damn, Smiff

When it's "ROCK HARD OOO ARGH" just slap it in the nearest slot available

Seriously, at least your board doesn't have a built in SCSI adapter that insists on sharing with the AGP slot! Feel lucky! At least my board's solid enough that it seems to do alright most of the time.

-------------------

Tyan S1837UANG Thunderbolt GX Dual Slot 1
                              on board Adaptec 7896 Dual U2W LVD SCSI
                              on board Ensoniq AudioPCI
                              on board Intel Ethernet Adapter
                              PIII-600
                              256 MB Corsair PC133
                              Matrox Millennium G400MAX
                              Seagate Cheetah 18.2GB
                              Plextor Ultraplex Wide CD-ROM

------------------
                              Kind Regards,