A good place to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good place to start.

I just added a g400max to my Aopen AX6BC, Intel celeron 300A @ 450, 192mb ram, RR-G series, Ethernet Card, SBLive value, USB mouse, MS natural keyboard, and a bunch of IBM harddisks.

After a while i found out I needed to increase the AGP aperture to 128 in bios to make any games work. So I did that.

From time to time I´ve seen a lot of talks about tweaks and fixes in this forum, and I would like you to remind me of the ones you remember, OR guide me to the wondrous All-in-one FAQ ("Santa does exist Mommy doesnt he?")...

Tor

Here's what I remember:

Make sure all previous display adapter drivers and registry entries have been removed before installing G400 drivers. If you're using a Matrox board, use Matrox's uninstaller software.

Run the Matrox PowerDesk setup program in standard VGA mode. Do not use any of the "Have Disk" methods. Run install PowerDesk as you would an application.

The G400 does not like sharing IRQ's with other devices, although sharing with "IRQ holder for PCI Steering" is desirable.

Set AGP aperture to 256 Mb (or 128 if it works).

Disable all video shadowing in you BIOS.

Make sure board is properly set in the AGP slot.

Your AGP slot most likely shares an IRQ with PCI slot 1.

If you have a 3Comm NIC, and you're having problems, use the "stripped down" driver version on 3Comm's site.

Make sure you soundcard's drivers have been updated to the latest version.

If you intend to use Matrox's miniGL, you must have a Pentium III or Althon processor. The miniGL has compatibility issues with 3dfx drivers.

The miniGL will only work with certain games. Matrox continues to optimize the OpenGL ICD.

The Rainbow Runner G-series is compatible with PowerDesk versions 5.25 and 5.30. (That's two in a row! Someone here must have whined.) When you install Video Tools 1.51, it is a good idea to install it in the default directory.

Many people have gotten their G400 to work with their Abit motherboards and SoundBlaster Live soundcards the very first time they tried.

Matrox will release working Windows 2000 drivers when the OS is officially released.

I can't think of anything else right now. If you're not having problems, just ignore everything I wrote.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 06 November 1999).]

Comment

Working...
    X