X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Shutdown Problems with Win98

Hiyas all,
    Got one quick question, i've started to notice some strange lock-ups,
    They _always_ occur when I'm shutting down windows 98, It removes all of the Icons/title bars, (i.e. goes to a blank screen with only the mouse showing) and it then sits there, and will not move, I've even left it for 3 hours, hoping it was some bizare problem.

It started to happen when I installed the latest drivers.... (5.30), I noticed I could not start up any kind of 3D app without a BSOD. I've had to remove all traces of the drivers, and go back to 5.25 to get the system to work, but even now I get the occasional blue screen, at seeming random times.

I remember that there was at one point a list of things to set, to enable windows98 to shutdown properly. but I find it odd that installing the latest drivers has caused this.

TIA

Colin Morey

system Specs

K6-2 450, Tyan 1590S, Toshiba DVD, some scsi stuff, oh, and a full retail G200.

*goes back to testing hardware for a living*

You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

start->run->msconfig->advanced->Disable Fast Shutdown might remove some shutdown releated problems.

--
    Arto
    --
    Cirrus

Comment

VIA 4in1 4.14?
      bios 1.16?
      Did you try to set a custom monitor?

------------------
      k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.25 - AGP1x - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
      dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
      g400 max-
      256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
      dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
      Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Via drivers, Yes.
        latest bioses, yep.
        custom monitor.... *ponder* I think it was a cutstomised standard one, just so I could get the 85 Hz refresh

Colin

Comment

There are a lot of problems with Win98 shutdown... see http://search.microsoft.com/us/Defau...7&intCat=8&int Cat=9&p=1&nq=NEW

these search results from Microsoft's site

and consider getting the Windows98 SE shutdown supplement, if you're running SE...

--------------
          Holly, aka Link!Zilla

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 05 November 1999).]
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

A little more extreme measure is to use Win98 (first edition) and apply all the patches on Windowsupdate. I've had to do this with a PA2013 based machine. It was having all sorts of registry problems in SE (build 2222A) which haven't cropped up since we went back to build 1998. Granted this was with a Marvel G200-TV card.
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'm actually running Win98 (original),
              I tried the latest 5.30 (i.e. fresh download) and it still crashes... but only when using 3d.I have installed most of the major hotfixes ( I think)

I'm going to re-install windows at some point soon, i.e. when i have more than 1 hr spare. as soon as I have done that,. its compressed image time on another HDD.....

anyone else got any ideas?

TIA

Colin Morey

Comment

Same problem here - but it started to happen after I had been running a few months without a hitch, out of the blue.

------------------
                Soyo 7IZB+, C500A, 96MB PC100, G400Max, Vortex2
                Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Old Cyrix days I had allkinds of shutdown problems that occured occasinally and without no obvious reason. Then I found out the excistance of msconfig-tool, cured problems.

--
                  Arto
                  --
                  Cirrus

Comment

That custom setting is what hosed my first foray into the 5.x series. This was due to the matrox monitor listing not showing mine. Crashed upon attempted shutdown, after weeks finally got 5.25 stable w/out touching windows software. (4.33 and 4.51 got me through it while the 5.x attempts were in vain).
                    There should only be one place to set your monitor.
                    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                    g400 max-
                    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
                    X