Un....BELEIVABLE!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Un....BELEIVABLE!!!!!!

Is there anything I can do to reverse the damage? besides from buying a new M/B (I have a feeling it was the rubbish board anyway. Rhino M/B with SiS chipset...

Thanks

Ok sorry right:

Do you have the PC speaker wired up? If not do it. Then switch on and listen for a beep code. If you hear it, look in your motherboard manual it will have a table of error codes, one of which will match the sound you hear, which should tell you which bit of the system is dead. If not try this:

When you switch on, do the fans spin up? What about the hard drive(s)? If there is nothing at all (no fans, no lights) it's a dead PSU (or fuse!, or connector) If the fans spin up etc its probably something not inserted right - go through and CAREFULLY reseat all cables/ram/cpu and so on.

I take it you can't even get into the bios? Is that correct? (hit del and f1 repeatedly after switching on).

Comment

OMG...

IT IS *SUPPOSED* TO SHARE A IRQ WITH IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI STEERING!!

Jeezzz

Never change anything of which dont't know anything about...
      Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
      Enter The Sphere:
      go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

ARGHHH! are you trying to help the man or just rub it in?? He's got the most serious problem i've ever seen here and where is everybody? Drop your cox and grab your sox!

Comment

Smiff, your advice is sound, let Razzle reply with his beep codes (or lack of) and we'll go from there.
          If it posts, then put it a working vid card (dont matter how fast) just to access bios and verify settings. I dont have a SIS chipset board but the basics cover all boards in general. Good luck Razzle....keep us informed.

-Dil

------------------
          I'm not just a MURCer, I'm also a client!

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Thanks Guys,

The PC Speaker is enabled. There are no Beeps to suggest problems (loose card etc.)
            The machine powers on , initialises the hard drive....(hear it firing up) and hangs there with naught on the monitor?

. I have installed Video cards that I know work...AGP and an old PCI Graphics Blaster to no avail, still will not give me any visuals. The Hard drive and all fans power up. Its almost as if the BIOS has been corrupted somehow?

Its the same sort of prob you get when you do an unsuccessfull BIOS uodate (been there before)

:-)

Thanks

Comment

Read the final suggestion on this post if you have changed settings like AGP aperture in your BIOS.

Find out, if you can in your MB manual, how to reset your BIOS parameters (usually a temporary jumper setting) reset the BIOS and then try booting the computer again. If you get POST, hit delete, or whatever enables access to your BIOS, and reset anything which is obviously wrong, like cpu speed or time, etc. Leave most on automatic if possible. See if it runs.

If you are still unable to boot, try setting the AGP aperture in the BIOS to 128 MB or 256 MB. Sometimes, G400s will not boot if the AGP aperture is set to 64 MB.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 31 October 1999).]

Comment

Looks like your bios is corrupted.. have yo uever updated the BIOs on your video car? If so then simply insert the backup disk you created to bing your old bios setting on.

Comment

The bios backup disk will do no good until he can boot to a DOS prompt. Until then he needs to experiment with finding a working vid card or (dare i say this) find another similar board and do a "hot swap" of bios chips to get it up so a reflash of bios can happen.
                  NO beeps, but no video......so it is NOT finishing the post......bad bios is what it sounds like.......again unless you know somewhere that has an EEPROM programmer, your only alternative is a "hot swap" from an identical board.That or a new board are the choices.
                  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Razzle.

-Dil
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Razzle, have you tried another monitor cable, or even another monitor?
                    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Yeah, try resetting the bios (should be a jumper on the mobo somewhere to set back to default, mentioned in your mobo manual).
                      If that doesn't work, remove all expansion cards except the video. Reseat the memory on the motherboard. Try booting and see what happens. If that doesn't work -remove- the video card so you have nothing in the slots, and try booting. If nothing (no beeps) happens again, then its the mobo or cpu that died.

Comment

I tend to go with the monitor or cable being at fault,if the video card bios is corrupted,at least with the g200,and I'd assume on the g400 you would at least get a screen in windows.
                        Usually with the mobo bios,if something is wrong with the chip you would get beeps,I see no action here to corrupt the bios on either boards.
                        Could it be by disabling pc steering,the refresh rate for the monitor went too high?
                        I would follow the suggestions,
                        reset bios and try another monitor.
                        If by resetting the bios you get a screen you're 1/2 the way home.
                        How did you disable pc steering? Get back on these and we'll try to figure it out.
                        No disrespect meant,but putting a g400 on a sis based mobo,is similar as putting a Rolls Royce engine in a chevy.
                        So if it is your mobo,please do yourself a favor and get a better one.

Comment

Un....BELEIVABLE!!!!!!

In a vain attempt to try and get the Matrox working I noticed it was sharing an IRQ with IRQ Holder for PCI steering. Ignorant as I may be I disabled PCI steering ... rebooted ...enabled BUS Mastering through the Powerdesk settings and proceeded to run the Tech Demo.....it ran smoothly for about 5 seconds ... AT WHICH TIME. ... wait for this the MONITOR SWITCHED off..... (went to standby mode) ... ???!!!??? WHAT THE FU@#$@$

Anyway the machine will not boot anymore ... I tried to change the Card to the standard 4MB ATI garbage that came with the system.....

THIS MATROX THING IS EVIL ... NOT ONLY HAS IT NOT WORKED WITH 3 MONTHS OF CONTINUED EFFORTS OF TWEAKING ETC ETC ....

BUT THE MOTHER FU#$$#@NG THING HAS FINALLY DESTROYED MY ENTIRE SYSTEMM!!!!!

Well I'll be a SOAB!!!

Comment

In the voice of the Harry Enfield's Mr Don't:

"You don't wanna do it like that!"

[This message has been edited by Smiff (edited 31 October 1999).]

Comment

I didn't see anything happen that I would expect to corrupt the BIOS either, Alfie, but maybe there's something I don't know....

My question is... Razzle, when you go thru this abortive boot process... what color is the little light on your monitor?

Naturally it starts out orange... but does it ever turn green, though the screen is displaying nothing? Or does it remain orange?

I would ask you to try to boot and just let the system go (or not) for the amount of time it would normally take to boot Windows... <u>and see if you hear your startup sound</u>. I'm thinking that if you fried the monitor somehow, you might actually be booting and not be able to see it... if your video card wasn't working, you'd get constant beeps, before the BIOS even came into play... at least that's what happens to me... but if your monitor is not receiving the video signal, your PC could care less. I've had PCs boot with no monitor display (and how much fun is it to shut down from the keyboard, from memory...?)

Of course, if you are booting, but Windows is trying to put you into Safe Mode to solve the problem... you still won't hear squat.... but can anyone tell me if Windows wouldn't just re-implement the steering in normal mode, via the Add Hardware Wizard??

I agree about the G400 and SS7, though... I just got a MAX and I won't even put it in my current system... a P-2 isn't that much of an improvement over the K6-2, but at least it gets me to a BX board...

------------------
                              Holly

What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...well, at the moment, it's: Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 01 November 1999).]
                              Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                              -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Working...
                              X