Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell 5ns RAM from 6ns on G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell 5ns RAM from 6ns on G400?

I will probably overclock my vanilla G400 when I get one, so I want to be sure that I get one that will be more likely to have success. I want to be able to tell someone
    over the phone how to determine it, since I'll probably have to mail order it. Thanks.

The last number on the RAM chips will either be -5 or -6...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Yo, just wondering.
        Um, if it's 6ns is it really that big a difference in speed if your overclocking the Vanilla?
        Hey, this is a neat place where i can write private stuff, right?

Good, then i would like to say........ Hi mom!!!!

Comment

It can be, if your graphics chip cannot go very high, then you won't see much difference in overclocking, if it can and you have the slower memory, then you won't get as good of results.

Rags

Comment

I'm curious...

How likely is it for a wholesaler or even retailer to look through their stock of G400s for a 5ns memory card, unless of course the person's your friend or something.

Has anyone successfully searched for a 5ns G400 vanilla, as opposed to just lucking out and getting one.

Let's hope Ant's give-aways are 5ns cards.

(Aside: strange, I wasn't sure where to put question marks in the above sentences. It didn't feel right. Can anyone straighten me out on my use of punctuation?)

Comment

Question marks only go at the end of sentences.
              As per my wife, who has a Masters in Creative Writing.
              Personaly, I have one over my head at all times.
              chuck

------------------
              ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks

?
                cjolley.

We might be hijacking the threa. Tally Ho!

I agree with your wife. However, if you read those two sentences with question marks at the end, they don't sound/feel right. The querries were with respect to the first part of the sentences. The last parts were more statements, at least that's what I was trying to get accross. If you put question marks at the end, doesn't it sound like the querries are applying to the second parts?

Of course, a practical person would just come along and switch the sentences around so that they sound correct with question marks at the end, but I like being difficult.

Geez, languages can be so limiting sometimes. At least I can count my lucky stars that I don't have to remember genders for nouns in english.

Comment

If there's a question anywhere in the sentence, the question mark still goes right at the end. I think it's normal for a properly formatted english sentence to look weird
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

For correct English please refer to thread: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005822.html

Sorry Space7 you were too much! it killed me from somache cramps

BTW James, smiley's , however, can go anywhere!

Comment

Oh, and from what I understand, the 5ns ram is on the boards that are G400Max lookalikes but simply without the fan on the heatsink. In other words these boards ARE G400Max's but never made QA so are sold as G400. They have the fan 3pin header near the memory chips. Hope that helps.
                      Frank.

Comment

I have one of those 5ns ram boards, it even has the fan plug too. It's a G400. I am wondering if people are willing to pay good cash for these, heh.

Comment

I too have a 32mb vanilla G400 with 5ns RAM, but it does not have any of the 'failed' max attributes to go along with it - ie: 3pin fan connectors etc.
                          It's an OEM not a retail part.
                          MiNIoN
                          helixx_@hotmail.com

Comment

You're right Frank!

I should have just asked Space7 about the propper use of English.

Anyway, for those lucky shiny people who ended up with 5ns cards. I take it you indeed just lucked out getting them, as opposed to willfully searching for one and finding one.

As for paying extra for one, I'd first pay to upgrade my CPU to P3 or Athlon before thinking about pushing to a quasi-Max, Max, or whatever.

--------------------------------

Windows 98SE
                            AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold
                            Cel 366 (@550)
                            64 Megs PC100
                            Matrox G400 Dual 32 Meg w PD5.30 (@119%)
                            Sound Blaster Live!Value w Liveware 3.0
                            Pioneer DVD3 6x
                            3DMark99 Results (@ 1024 x 768 x 32 x 32, triple)
                            3DMarks ~4200
                            CPU 3DMarks ~5250
                            No Overclocking (@ 1024 x 768 x 32 x 32, triple)
                            3DMarks ~3000
                            CPU 3DMarks ~3500

Comment

Argh!

I must admit my ignorance.

I attempted to add smileys all over the thread, but I couldn't figure it out. I suppose it's not as simple as a copy-paste. How does one get all those cute little images into a message?

In the mean time...

:-)

(just doesn't look the same, does it)

Comment

Working...
                              X