What PC to go with a G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PC to go with a G400?

Sorry if this has been asked in a previous thred.
    What CPU + Mobo would bing out the best in the G400 32Mb DH (non max)

Right now i have a P2 300 on a Legend V mobo
    - I think i could do better.....
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

LOL
    Building a PC around a graphics adapter..

_
    B

Comment

You dont think the G400 is worth it?

;-)
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

My bet would be an Athlon - just ask Greebe.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

Is it THAT processor dependent?

Comment

_most_ machines I build, either for family or friends, get Celery Inside(tm). The cost/performance is just that much better. However, a G400 _really_ needs a P3 and its SSE so you can use TurboGL. So you're best bet is a P3-450. They overclock well (most of em) if you're interested, and they're cheap(er).
            As for a motherboard, this weeks price list for a local computer shop (www.best-comp.com, who get most of my business) shows that the Asus P3B-F and the Abit BE6 are within $2 of each other. I've always been a big fan of ABit mobos, they've never done me wrong. They're been rock solid, and are still the best overclockers boards. Plus, the ATA66 controller on the BE6 is great, because i now have my 2 hard drives, my DVD, and my burner, all on a seperate IDE chain. Yay! The P3BF has a better reputation for stability though, so its really you're call.
            As long as you watch out for IRQ conflicts (Which are admittedly easier to get on the BE6, you just need to juggle cards a bit) you should be happy with either board.

------------------
            P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

[This message has been edited by Echo|Fox (edited 03 November 1999).]
            P3-450@558mhz@2.1v, ABit BE6, 128megs 7.3125ns PC133 SDRAM, SB Live! Value, G400 32meg Dualhead (@120%), Acer ALN-201 PCI 10bT NIC, 6.5gig Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm, 13gig Quantum Fireball CR, Yamaha 4416e Burner, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Panasonic e70 17" Monitor, Antec KS-188 24" Tower, 6 year old Honeywell-SUH 101key Keyboard, Logitech Trackman Marble+

Comment

But is a P3 450 overclocked going to make that much difference?

Comment

"the Asus P3B-F and the Abit P3BF are "

Abit P3BF?? You invent your own Abit boards for the PCs you build?

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

doh!
                  jim

------------------
                  PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                  128mb pc-100
                  Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 165/205 with MGATweak-410mhz, 2.5, 2), PD 5.30 & bios 1.5-22
                  Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                  SB Live!
                  Winblows 98se & DX7
                  32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
                  3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
                  Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
                  Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
                  Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
                  Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
                  Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

A big fast one!

PIII 500's are pretty cheap now, and the 600's are going down as well.

I like Asus and AOpen boards myself. Due to unfortunate seismic events in Taiwan and possibly some rumored nastiness in Santa Clara (home of Intel), motherboards are not going down in price.

The more RAM the better. At least 128 Mb.

Maybe an Aureal-based soundcard. They appear a little less fussy.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

PIII 500's are right on the price/performance threshhold now. I'd definitely stick with a PIII no matter what speed you get (Turbo GL an' all).
                      Asus and AOpen make very good boards but it really depends on what you want to do with it(duh). Is it speed, reliability or price that is holding on tightest your credit card?
                      I must say the the Aopen boards seem particularly 'friendly' with G400's. I have a AX6BC Pro and it put my G400 in at IRQ 11 (desirable) without any hassles, no problems with AGP 2x or bus mastering either.
                      If you have to get a SB Live, wait for the new models.

Rgds,
                      Electrosaurus

Comment

Cost is not a huge issue, as long as it is not over the top.
                        I have 256Mb of Pc100 RAM
                        and an SBawe32

I suppose that i am *really* going to use it for games, but i wont a system that will last. I need to upgrade the mobo and cpu, but have always been anxious about anything other than intel. Have heard lots of compatibility problems.
                        Anyway Intel seem to be higher performance for the same spec.

Comment

'a system that will last'
                          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

So you don't understand that term either then, Scytale?

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

Comment

Hmm, I think my P3 450 will be around for the next four months, at 600+ MHz with 133+ MHz FSB that is.
                              P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Working...
                              X