DVD faq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD faq?

I've searched the forums and I can't seem to find mention of some problems I am having playing DVDs with Matrox's player. I am pretty sure I saw something related somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

System:

Win95/Win98
    K6-3 448
    128MB ram
    G400 32MB SH

1. Install Matrox player, explorer crashes on a loop. I can ignore it and use the player anyway, but that sucks. Solution that fixes the problem is to uninstall the Matrox player, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
    PowerDVD and WinDVD both work fine, but the Matrox one seems to be the faster.

1b. DVD menus seem to be best using WinDVD, at least for the Matrix.

2. Matrox/Cinemaster player doesn't seem to have a pan and tilt mode, that means you get to see black borders.

3. Matrox player in the docs mentions that it doesn't do 4 speakers like the other players.

4. Mediaplayer install program is for "professional" installations only? What's that?

5. Registry is a mess of various Cinemaster entries if you install other engines, I've counted at least 3-4, the Matrox one has a key that's off by one character I have "Divicore Inc." twice, makes you wonder if any of the gui panels for the thing actually work.

6. One problem I had was UDMA would stall the machine after a half hour of play or so, turning that off fixed that problem.

Conclusion, PowerDVD is the only usable one for actually watching movies, the others lack quad sound, or pan and tilt. Only thing about it is that it's slower than the G400 Player. 100% cpu time vs 40% according to system monitor.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if Matrox released an updated version of the player? It is a main feature of the G400 after all, DVDMax.
    I mean Diamond even has a DVD update of their player for the MX300, and they almost never update anything.

You can get a newer Cinemaster engine at http://www.dvdutils.com which might solve your problems.

You might also want to get the region selector tool v2.55 which allows you to adjust the quality of the video you see.

Is anyone using the new Cinemaster engine with NT and/or Win2000? It's supposed to be compatible..

Comment

I had some problems also when I first installed it. I then removed Powerdvd and Windvd. I removed all registry keys to all of the dvd software. Reboot and install the G400 player. After that Install the others if you still want them.

------------------
      Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, 128 mb PC 100, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
      Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Working...
      X