Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinstalled Windows 98se and problems started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalled Windows 98se and problems started...

I thought that When I recieve my MAX I do a completely new install of WIN98se.
    Now I have done it and for my greef I noticed that my Windows started locking up after varying time. I don't need to do any 3d based stuff the windows locks even if Í am using IE or something similar. I used my MAX in previous installation of Win98se only about 2 days, but didn't notice any lockups in it.

I have been trying memorize all the suggestions made here and tried following things:

Reseat Matrox card, change AGP aperature size (setting that I don't understand), change AGP ISA aliasing setting (another setting that I don't understand), Force AGP1X mode, deacrease heat in my case.

none of above doesn't seem to help.

I would apriciate it much if you could remind me about the possible solutions that have been discussed here in MURC.

Greebe if you are reading this could you tell me what kind of BIOS settings you use in your MSI6167?

System:
    MSI6167+550Mhz Athlon
    Matrox G400MAX
    IBM Deskstar IDE hd
    Pioneer DVD-113
    Mitsumi 8x4x2 CD-RW
    3com 905B-tx NIC
    Monstersound MX300

And IRQ table shows following:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    5 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    7 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Monster Sound II Sound Blaster Pro Emulation
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)
    11 Monster Sound II PCI Audio
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Monster Sound II Multifunction Parent
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller
    14 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.22 RC
    15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller
    15 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.22 RC

[This message has been edited by cirrus (edited 21 October 1999).]
    --
    Cirrus

Just an idea: Go back to your old graphics card for a bit (without reinstalling windows), to check that it is the G400 causing the trouble. May well have nothing to do with the new card!

Comment

You could also try to move your G400 to IRQ 9 or 10. It's happier there sometimes.

Comment

Yes it should be, but I disabled it to free irqs. I have tried to shuffle cards, there simply isn't combination that gives all of my three cards own irq and same time the MAXs irq is 9 or bigger.
        --
        Cirrus

Comment

Well I disabled advanced power management from bios, it freed irq number 9 and MAx took that irq, so I turned busmastering on and played few rounds of Rogue Spear. And it started to lockup first lockup game about 15mins, second about 20min and third right after windows had booted up, so I am back in busmastering off.
          --
          Cirrus

Comment

Hi Cirrus,

could you clarify what changes were made in your system? It looks like you had Win98SE system up and running, got the MAX, removed old video card (please specify which one), installed the MAX and everything was running fine.
            Then you reinstalled Windows and the problems started. Is this right?

When reinstalling windows did you leave all the components in? My guess is that the reinstall shuffled around IRQ assignments which might be causing the problem. The other possibility is that your monitors settings got changed. Did you set up your monitor settings in the Matrox display properties?

Comment

I take it this is an Athlon board? Do those not allow you to manually set IRQ's for paticular slots? There should be no problem for you to assign the IRQ's however you like.

- Gurm

------------------
              G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
              The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

If the Sound Blaster Pro Emulation works like the SB Live, and you do not play DOS games, disable it as well. This will free up an IRQ and you can start forcing them in BIOS. With IRQ 3 and 4 free, I take it that both your com ports are disabled.

Run System File Checker and see what it reports for changes. Go to settings and select enable check for changed files and check for deleted files. If you have other software that made changes to drivers, the reinstall will revert back to the original Win 98 SE drivers.

SFC is located in Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information under tools.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 21 October 1999).]
                MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                Matrox P
                X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                LianLiPC70

Comment

You have an Athlon MB, so have you loaded it's drivers???? You should have.

Rags

Comment

I found out the thing causing my problems.
                    Matroxs IRQ number. I removed my 3com nic and monstersound card. Because of that MSI mobo assigned MAx to irq 10. And all tests I ran work perfectly games, techdemo. Then I inserted my nic and it took up irq 11, all working like dream. But if I insert my MX300 Max drops to irq 7 or irq 5 depending on which pci slot I put it. And after that techdemo locks after 1-3min.

And yes MSI is Athlon mobo and it doesn't allow me to assign irqs how I like them. At least I don't know how. And I have AMDs Eide driver and miniport driver loaded.

Remaining question is to who should I turn to MSI's tech support for better irq assignment or matrox tech support to get matrox card work in irq below 10.

And reason why the card worked in previous installation might be this: I tested all kinds of settings after I first time put my card in including speed with busmastering and without busmastering. I guess I forgot to turn on busmastering after that.

Thank you for your advices.

--
                    Arto
                    --
                    Cirrus

Comment

I think I have found the problem, Bus Mastering. If I disable it Windows doesn't seem to crash Rogue Spear don't crash, HIdden & Dangerous doesn't crash. Driver Doesn't crash. But Performance is decreased.
                      Max is using IRQ 7, but I'd like to know if there is some way to force irq assignemnts with MSI-6167. I Haven't found away.
                      And other suggestions how to make card work with bus mastering on would be great.

Thank you.

--
                      Arto
                      --
                      Cirrus

Comment

I'd say your problems are almost definitely due to the G400 being on an IRQ below 9. Shuffle any PCI card you have in your PC around, and/or try telling your BIOS that IRQ 7 is reserved for something. (Should be your LPT port anyway).

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Can't You force the MX300 in the system settings in the control panel to use a lower IRQ? Which would allow the G400 to go back up to 10 or 11.
                          Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                          Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Can't force any devices.
                            --
                            Cirrus

Comment

Oh Well, How hard it can be to found device causing my problems. HARD!! .
                              But Now I am 79,9% sure that I founf the REAL reason. My MX 300 sound card. Tested several IRQ configurations by changing the place of 3COM nic and all works fine, BUT if I insert MX300 in lockups begin.

Remaining question is why?

--
                              Arto
                              --
                              Cirrus

Comment

Working...
                              X