Matrox DVD player problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox DVD player problem

When watching a DVD on my TV with the Matrox DVD player and my G400, the picture looks really good at first, then darkens right away. This is really bad in the Matrix since everything is dark as it is. I have turned all brightness and other controls up but it still auto darkens more than Id like it to. Would other DVD players work better? A decoder card maybe?

Is the problem only with the Matrix? If you want to determine if the player could be at cause you can always try another one such as PowerDVD http://www.cyberlink.com.tw/english/...s/powerdvd.htm

Comment

Are you running the signal through a VCR? If so trying going straight to the TV instead. Most DVDs contian copy protection that will cause them to play dark while going through a VCR.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Well,

I initially had my TV-out hooked up through my VCR. The picture would look fine for a bit, then start going dark and skip, then fade back in for a bit, then darken again, etc. Is this what's happening to you?

This is what Macrovision copy protection did to me. The only DVDplayer that I've heard of that can circumvent this (i.e. let you hook up through a VCR and potentially copy DVDs to VHS) is an older version of the ATI DVD player (try www.dvdutils.com for details). I haven't tried it yet myself.

Otherwise, you should just hook up your TV-out directly to your TV.

Comment

Yup thats the problem. Thing is, I only have a cable TV plug on my TV. Are there any other options?

Comment

Try getting round the macrovision encoding as in the post above yours, otherwise, there's a couple of options. Firstly is to get a little box of tricks to go between your PC and VCR which removes this copy protection - I don't know anything about them, nor where to get them, or what they cost. Another way is for you to get a PAL encoder which will take in the composite from the graphics card, and turn it into an aerial socket connection. These can be bought from places like Maplin or CPC (in the UK) or any good electronics store.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

Or, get a separate DVD decoder card which is easier to crack the encoding.

Comment

Just get a video game switch thingy like you get with a playstation. They usually have an rca input and coaxial output so you could connect directly to your tv.

Like this: http://www.radioshack.com/ProductCat...501267,00.html

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 02 November 1999).]
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Use the cinemaster 1.0.28 engine that can be modified or buy a video to rf convertor. Like the older video games used to use. Or use a 15 year old vcr that isn't affected by macrovision.

------------------
                  Matrox G400 32mb DH, K6-2/450, Epox MVP3G-M, 128 mb PC 100, WD 8.4gb, Pio 32x CDROM, LS-120, Adaptec 2940U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Diamond S90, 3COM 3c509, HP 712c, HP 6200

Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                  Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

OK now if I get a video game switcher..what about audio? I only have one set of speakers that are next to my computer. Going through a VCR I could plug the audio in there, but a game switcher would only allow video wouldnt it?

Comment

The composite to UHF converters will only convert the video.
                      I reckon you are better off tracking down a "Video Enhancer/Stabilizer" aka Macrovision removing device. I have seen a few in action and they work well. They sould only cost you $50-ish bucks.
                      Have a look at http://st1.yahoo.net/direct/video.html (just a link I found) or I've seen heaps of ads for them in the the back of DVD mags and such. Don't get one from Tandy/Radio Shack though, I've heard stories....

Rgds,
                      Electrosaurus

Comment

Well, ATI DVD Player 3.1 supposedly uses the cinemaster 1.028 engine, which is supposed to allow one to get around Macrovision.

I suppose if this is doable, it might be a cheaper solution than a hardware fix, which still sounds a bit problematic unless you really get one of those "boxes". Of course, the software fix might only be temporary, since you're going to be missing support for new features if you're stuck with an old engine.

Regarding cinemaster 1.028, one can get a workaround for macrovision copy-protection according to www.dvdutils.com. I tried it briefly last night, but the results were less than successful. Instead of the typical darkening of the screen, I ended up with what might be called four outputs of the picture, one on top of another, running from the top to the bottom of the tube.

Anyway, the instructions on the site for setting this thing up were somewhat spotty. At least that's my excuse.

Has anyone managed to get the Macrovision workaround working with the cinemaster 1.028 engine and a G400 (or another card)?

Comment

To get rid of the four screens goto your DVDmax options and deselect the bottom two sync options. You should also check the region select options.
                          Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                          Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Well, I had no luck with the ATI player and so Im going to try a hardware solution. I ordered a DVD Video Stabilizer. It says it will fix every problem I have. http://st1.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html

Anyone else have this?

Comment

Working...
                            X