Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE successfully running G400MAX and Athlon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANYONE successfully running G400MAX and Athlon?

I've seen a lot of bad press on these forums with regards to the G400Max. I know people with problems come here, but IS THERE ANYONE successfully running a G400 MAX duel head with an Athlon system??? If so, make me feel better today. I have one on order and am planning to finish building a system this month. MAKE MY DAY!

Oh yeah, there are quite a few people lurking here that are smoking right along with an Athlon. The biggest problem with the Athlon and the G400 is the Motherboard drivers setup. With an intel MB, you don't have to sweat about setting these things up, so when people go and use the Athlon, they tend to forget all of the drivers that are necessary for a system to work.

Rags

Comment

As long as you have the proper patches for your mobo installed, you should be just fine!

Comment

The only issues I've had with my Athlon 650Mhz, FIC SD-11, G400 Max system has been heat. Once I got all of the latest drivers for everything, my system SMOKES (pun intended)!!

Right now if I want to run any 3D apps I have to remove my case and open a window in my office to keep things cool. I'm still trying to figure out how to cool my G400 Max enough so that I don't have to do that.

Windows and DVD play back is excellent!!
        ===============
        Athlon 650mhz, Asus K7M, 128MB PC100, Matrox G400 Max, SB Live Value, Quantum KA 18.2GB ATA66 7200rpm, Pioneer 10x DVD-ROM, Viewsonic PS 790 19" monitor

Comment

Yeah...I have my K7 600 and Max running along fine...heat was never a prob for me since I used this case for my OC'd P3 450...so there are plenty of fans and side is open...
          The MAJOR prob I had was with the Power SuPPly...apparently having the correct ps is a MAJOR point for any of the K7 mobos...I originally got my K7 with the FIC mobo...but, I guess it was the first revision of the SD-11 and it had BiG issues with my Enhanced HSDRAM PC133 (which, of course, I didn't know at the time)...also, there were some other probs with the SD-11(I later found out the FIC had a whole BuNcH of bad SD-11s out there)...I went to the Gigabyte GA-71X...which was wierd, because I had not seen anyone with this mobo...Anyway, I had probs with that...Video Probs, and alot of blue Screen "FataL ErroRs"...BTW, I was running a 300Watter PS...Went to an approved (Sparkle 350W) ps and everything is fine...I am getting some amazing marks...
          something like 172 Mips for 2D Video on wintune...and 6000+/10400 for 3Dmark 99...
          So, from what I have experienced, the Power Supply is VERY IMPORTANT...
          My G400 MAX is humming along very nicely, thank you...
          Kelin
          Pri sys(win98)
          K7 600 on Gigabyte GA-71X
          256megs of Enhanced HSDRAM
          Adaptec 2940U2W
          Quantum Atlas 10K
          IBM Ultrastar UW
          Aureal Vortex 2 Super Quad
          3Com NIC for Cable

Sec sys(98, NT, and Linux)
          P3 450 on Soyo BA6 +III
          128 Megs PC100 (CAS-2)
          2 UDMA/33 HDs
          TNT
          2 V2s in SLI
          Creative ensonic
          3Com NIC

Comment

Well power suply needs to be over 300W for Athlon.

My Athlon is working great after fixing the problem with Diamond MX300 drivers.

--
            Arto
            550 Athlon + MSI-6167
            --
            Cirrus

Comment

No problems here. I just switched my old K6-III 450 + Epox MVP3G-M combo for my spanking new Athlon 700 + (Asus?) K7M, no reformatting or anything, just a little Irongate AGP driver installation afterwards. And man does this SMOKE!!!

Athlon 770 + G400 MAX YESSSSS!
              Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

Box
                what Size PS do you have. I bought an Inwin Q500 with a 300W PS and am waiting for K7M + 500 MHz Athlon (should finally get them next week) and would love to know that the PS will work. Else I shall order a 400W one.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

250W works fine, even with 1cd, 1cdr, 1dvd and 3 harddrives working all the time.

However, I have an AMD certified box (Enlight). It's a good idea to get a certified box. It's a few more bucks, but what the heck, atleast AMD has pushed the shit outta it and approved it.

And yes, my system works like a bloody charm with the G400Max. See my config below.

------------------
                  Athlon 500/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm/SB128/G400Max/Win98/RH6.0
                  Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Comment

There has been rumours that underpowered powersource may cause AMDs chipset to die.

I am using Enlights case too and I am happy with it.

--
                    Arto
                    --
                    Cirrus

Comment

Yeah...like I said, I tried 2 different 300 Watters, ,and w couple of diff 250's, just for kickx, they all seem to hae different specs...outputs at the different voltages, etc...anyway, things only worked once I got the "APPROVED PS"!!! I know that some 250Wt ones will work, but, apparently, their outputs on certain voltages is good for the K7...
                      I got the Sparkle 350W and it should be great for any additions I should have in the future....Although, I do run AC cooling fans(2 6" blowing over the Max and the CPU/Chipset/RAM) besides the regular DC fanz...helps keep the drain off the power supply...
                      Kelin

Comment

Working...
                      X