170 Mb HD Spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 170 Mb HD Spec

Isn't there a sticker on the top of the HDD anywhere?? Which says all those things?

If not, then you can try to have your PC autodetect that HDD through the BIOS.
    Plug the new drive in and boot your PC, enter your BIOS and look for something called IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION. A 170 Mb harddrive won't be LBA, so anything it finds with NORMAL at the Mode is the right disk.

Save changes and check them at Standard CMOS Setup in the BIOS. Seems alright? Save changes and reboot your PC.

If the drive is working okay, you can start fdisking and formatting it.

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

thank you jorden, but in my case bios it's very old (more than 10 years) and don't have auto detect!!! plus, the only information i know it's the size of disk (in label)!!! i most setting bios in user type,so i need rest of data...

Comment

If you don't have the exact model - then insert the drive into a system that does have auto-detect. Write down what it detects, then put it back into the original system and voila - edit the entries to match and you have a wapper of a drive to work with - seriously - I remember my first 104MB Toshiba MK234C drive - payed over $400.00 for it.

If you don't have access to another system, then pick the drive that is closest in size without going over the rated capacity. The IDE will do some translation on it's own, and you should be ok. Make note of the settings used, as if you take this drive to another machine you will need to use them to read the data off of it.

Guyver...
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950
      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Thank you fou your sugestion!!!

I think it might work!!!

I'll test it when i get home.

Comment

Seagate + Western Digital (& probably others) still show old drive info. Did you try those sites?

------------------
          k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.25 - AGP1x - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
          dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
          g400 max-
          256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
          dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
          Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Unfortunately, it sounds like he doesn't have any kind of label on the drive other than a size (some OEM's a long time ago would put a plain white sticker over the original manufacturer's info)...

Also, I think I may have another idea... Some of the shareware programs at www.winfiles.com will read the hard drive parameters from the drive (not CMOS) and tell you what they should be....

Seagate has one as well. I think that SpinRite from www.grc.com will also do this...

good luck,

Guyver
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

170 Mb HD Spec

I get an old model HD with 170 Mb total space, but i don't know the number of cylinders, heads & sector per track to config my bios. Can anyone help me???

Thanks in advance!

PMAF

Comment

Thanks for all sugestions.

I already have the data from manufacturer!!!

Coincidence or no, the URL is WWW.MAXTOR.COM!

Comment

Working...
                X