Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird, but what the heck : MAKE BLOOD

How do I make real looking blood?

I got some red coloring...but I remember I read somewhere from the past mixing with sugar and some blue?

-Ethan

Geez.... kids these days, eh?

I can't help you, but welcome back to the forum, Ethan.

Comment

well, I'm 19 now...so I guess I'm still a kid.

What's up with the blood? Well, I want to make a scary humorous clip for my sister =) Will be really fun.

Anyone seen user "Red5" around lately?

Well, if anyone else knows how to make blood (I rule out Patrick from his statement "Geez....kids these days" =P ) please post it here! =)

while I'm at this, anyone do FAKE GLASS?

p.s. Patrick : glad someone other than Chris remembers me =P Smile =)

p.p.s. Believe it or not guys, I have my finals next week. Time flies when you're not a student....how I wish not to be one!

-Ethan

Comment

To make fake blood, try corn syrup, red food coloring, and a little yeast...

[This message has been edited by jeff b (edited 09 December 1999).]

Comment

Okay, I get the point you 'men'. I can see me 'kids' are not too welcome here! =)

jeffb : you got more hair now since your last hair video ? =P

oh, you didn't mean the yeast, did you? I almost took that seriously! =)

Corn syrup...okay, I'm off to grocery shopping! (I sure hope I took this seriously!)

Great to see yer old folks back...I'll try to get a bloody clip soon to show off blood. And scare the heck out of you old dudes.....=)

Cheers!
          Ethan

Comment

What the heck is corn syrup ? Some kind of medication for foot ailments ?

Ethan, look up Theatrical Suppliers in your local yellow pages and ask them about fake blood. I used to help out as a "victim" in fake disasters to help train up voluntary (and professional) emergency services, fake blood is easy to get hold of and not expensive. Making realistic cuts an' stuff using plasticene is an art ! (Hey, that must have been back when I was a kid)

Good luck with the finals.

Comment

I thought corn syrup was the same as wart syrup...oh well. =)

Chris...I never knew you were so courageous to risk your own life to act as a victim. =)

I'll look up Theatrical Suppliers later tonight when I get home.

How do I make realistic cuts using plasticene? Can I get these just as easy as wart syrup? =) That's not the silicone stuff, is it? =P (I'm a kid now, and still don't know!)

-Ethan

Comment

Ethan: Hey dude! You are very welcome here!

TI: Corn syrup is an old staple here in the US, made from a VERY delicious vegetable called corn. It's thick and sticky and clear, and should serve quite well as fake blood, once Ethan adds some red food coloring.

... hmmm, I wonder if it would bubble and boil if he put a little yeast in it, too?

Comment

Apparently over in Europe, corn is looked upon as food fit only for pigs. (I'm talking the animal variety here!)

It's just those of us in the "New World" who eat corn and of course, use the syrup. I guess we're more enlightened on this side of the pond. Either that or we need to have someone explain to us it's not proper to eat pig food.

Comment

You mean the brits never tried corn on the cob?

ciao

Comment

Not yet, but in 4 hours, maybe. I'm going to walk to my local supermarket after my class. I'll report back.

Though I borrowed my camcorder to my friend for her video project (she majors in visual arts)...so I'll try to get pics soon! =)

-Ethan

Comment

Ah! I found it! Time for shopping! I'll report how they work!

http://members.aol.com/hemicudanc/blood.html

Mint-e Blood

2/3 cup Corn Syrup
                        1/3 cup Water
                        5 Tablespoons Corn Starch
                        3 to 5 Teaspoons Red Food Coloring
                        2 or 3 Drops Green Food Coloring
                        1 Drop Peppermint extract, if desired.

Mix the Corn starch thoroughly with the water. Add the Corn Syrup. Mix well. Add red food coloring into the mixture, using only 3 tsp at first. Then add a couple drops of green food coloring to take the 'pink' edge off the red coloring. If the mixture is too light, add one or two teapoons more red food coloring. Add an extra drop of green food coloring if the mixture gets too pink again (Real blood is slightly on the dark red to reddish brown side, when its not fresh from the heart). Add one drop of Peppermint extract if you wish a fresh minty blood mixture. The concoction tastes quite pleasant, and can be used as makeup or a "Glass of Wine" for your ghoul to drink.

Clear Blood

1/2 cup Grenadine Syrup
                        1/2 cup Corn Syrup
                        1 to 3 Drops Green Food Coloring

Mix the Grendine and Corn Syrup through eachother. Add green food coloring one drop at a time, mixing thoroughly after each, until the 'pink' edge has been taken off the mixture. The concotion looks very good under bright light, and moves with the viscosity of thick blood.

Very-Cherry Gore Blood

2/3 cup Oriental 'Cherry' Dipping Sauce
                        1/3 cup Water
                        1/2 Teaspoon Red Food Coloring
                        2 or 3 Drops Green Food Coloring

Mix the Cherry dipping sauce with water, thoroughly enough to thin down the sauce into a gooey consistancy. Add food coloring. Stir again, and let the sauce sit, preferably in a fridge. When needed, take it out and spoon it onto areas where 'gore' effect blood is needed. The blood will drip in glops & globs, but doesn't puddle out like watery blood does.

Buckets & Pails Of Blood

1 Liter Corn Syrup
                        5 Liters Water
                        2 or 3 Tablespoons Red Food Coloring
                        1/2 Teaspoon Green Food Coloring (optional)
                        A slosh of milk

Get a large bucket or pail to mix this together. If you do not like the consistancy you can either thin it with more water, or thicken it with sugar or corn syrup. The exact amount of food coloring you require will depend on the brand you buy, so you may need to play around with the measurements. If you make it too dark, just add more water until it lightens in color. Adding some milk will reduce the translucent of the mixture (real blood isn't see-thru, but if you want clear blood, leave the milk out of the recipe). Do Not add too much milk or the blood will have a pink look to it. (This will stain all clothing.)

More Buckets & Pails Of Blood

This is a great "movie" propt. (Cheap too.)

1 package plain gelatin or 1 package red colored JellO
                        2 bottle red food coloring (especially if using plain gelatin)
                        1 tbsp green food coloring
                        1 - 5 gallons of water (depending on desired consistancy)

Follow the instructions on the side of the jello package, but double or quadruple the amount of water needed, and Do Not add any sugar whatsoever. Doubling the water gives you a very slimy, gloopy jello which doesn't look a lot like blood, but can be fun to get kids to stick their hands into at hallowe'en parties. If you use 5 gallons of water, you're going to have quite a thin runny blood, great for pouring over bodies in bathtubs or splashing on walls.

[This message has been edited by yeast (edited 10 December 1999).]

Comment

Yeuch!!
                          Have fun with the blood.

But in case anyone was wondering, Corn has reached British shores. For some reason there are two versions:
                          1)maize, which we make into oil and also feed to cows (and pigs) (it has a low sugar content)
                          and:
                          2)sweetcorn that we eat (either as kernels or corn on the cob) and is also put into cans by the Jolly Green Giant.

Don't think we do syrup though,
                          But we do have Cornflakes, courtesy of Kelloggs, in several flavours...
                          Yeuch!!

Which is where I started, I believe :-)

Dave
                          Don't make me angry...

Comment

Yeah. Sorry, the thread has moved on a bit since I last checked it at 4AM brit.

Course we have corn across here (as Dave pointed out). We don't grow large quantities here in the UK, and most of the stuff grown in continental europe is indeed grown for animal fodder (quick warning for any visitors to france in autumn, DON'T try to boil up the corn-on-the-cob - you can give it 2 hours and it will still pull teeth !). All of our human consumption "corn" comes from North America via Kellogs or that happy green bloke (or supermarkets using brand replacement marketing).

But I still never heard of corn syrup. Sorry, just the ignorance of us Brits.

On the other hand, I think Jeff got the wrong phrase. I've not heard of "blood pudding", but we do have "Black Pudding" which is based on pigs blood and fat with oatmeal. Strangely it is controversial even within the UK. Northerners think that it should be boiled, most others think it should be sliced and fried (it resembles a german ring sausage).

All I can say is that properly prepared and accompanied by REAL bacon, sausage, fried eggs, fried bread, mushrooms, tomatoes (and even baked beans if they take your fancy), it makes for a tasty breakfast that will last til suppertime.

Comment

Makes me laugh when I see you old folks (in age I mean), still so eccentrically funny. It's a comfort that when I'm your age, I can still be funny. =)

-Ethan

Comment

Working...
                              X