Strange problem please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem please help

When the Win98 is about to finish loading, but just before it begins to load programs for system tray e.g. powerdesk, etc, the system will freeze and have to reset. The problem is not the programs I have in system tray because I've tried uninstalled video driver then back to standard VGA 640x480 in 16 colours the system will boot normally (and no corrupt screen as explain next). So maybe the powerdesk caused it? I assume the driver is the problem (5.30). However, when I switch to 5.25, although the Windows will now finish loading fine, but shortly after couple seconds, the screen will corrput, e.g. black and white lines and blocks appear, and then the system will lockup and has to reset. This would also happen when using 5.30 driver if you get lucky that the Windows will finish loading, just that with 5.25 driver, you automatically get passed the unfinished-load Windows lockup. The strangest thing is if you happen to get lucky that no corruput screen shortly after couple seconds with both 5.30 and 5.25, no more corrupt screen whatsoever for the next 10 years, meaning all 2D and games and stuff will run like no problem. So what's going on here... This is very annoying since everytime I need to use computer I have to go through the same thing, if I am lucky enough, I get to use computer.

my system is as follow
    G400 SH 16M
    Abit BH6 bios LN
    G400 is at its own IRQ 5
    SBLive at IRQ 9 and 11(sharing with USB controller)
    Network card at IRQ 10
    (there is no any kind of conflict in Device Manager)

I also disabled all video memory shadowed in BIOS. The card is not Overclocked.
    Is it hardware problem or software, any suggestion? Thanks

The problem is not the programs I have in system tray because I've tried uninstalled video driver then back to standard VGA 640x480 in 16 colours the system will boot normally (and no corrupt screen as explain next).
    How do you know it's none of the programs in the sys-tray? If you start up in safe mode, or standard 640x480, most programs in the sys-tray won't load anyway, because the icons are set in 256 colours minimal.

Try loading Windows while you hold down the SHIFT button.

Check on Abit compatibility on these threads: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004833.html
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005078.html
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005086.html

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sounds like the symptoms I get if I try to o/c my k6-2-450 to 500. Are you o/c-ing the cpu? Is it hot inside your case? CPU fan still working? Have you o/c'd the G400 in the past? Maybe you are still without realising?

Good Luck

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

I have no idea if this is the cause of your problem, but you should probably get your G400 off IRQ 5. If you don't play DOS games, you should consider disabling Soundblaster emulation. (Is that what is on IRQ 9?)

Increasing the AGP aperture in the BIOS to 256 Mb has cleared up a remarkable number of seemingly unrelated issues.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

run the uninstaller. Install 4.51. run the installer. install 5.25

------------------
          k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.25 - AGP1x - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
          dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
          g400 max-
          256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
          dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
          Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

I swithed AGPCLK/CPUCLK from 2/3 to 1/1 in my Abit BIOS soft menu to see what will happen. After loading up the Windows, it seems normal and no problem. I did try running a game and play it for couple mins, it crashed and return to Windows but nothing too severe happened. Then I switched back to 2/3 again, the system seems work fine so far, games do run normally without crash, so just another possible solution for Abit user to try it if you got problem with it. BTW, I also reinserted card couple times into AGP slot and push the card in very firmly may also help.

Comment

The Abit solutions are becoming more creative. Maybe your board just needed a kick in the pants.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Any problems you're having is almost certainly becuase of the G400 is at IRQ 5. Matrox cards (back since the original Mystique WILL HAVE PROBLEMS when running on an IRQ below 8 (can't remember if it includes 8), but anyway - set it to 9 or above, and as long as you can keep it on its own IRQ 9 or above, you should find it runs A-OK.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

I have seen exactly the same symptoms, forcing X1 AGP fixed it..

W

Comment

I love it Gab!...

"it crashed and return to Windows but nothing too severe happened"

...like that's OK

Comment

Yes you are right. I didn't realize that now my AGP is at 1x. To prove that the AGP speed is the cause, I intstall the latest driver (that I have more problem than 5.25), which will set back to AGP 2x. I also turn on video shadowing and cache in bios that previously thought could cause problem. After loading up Windows, exact same problem returns. After turn to 1x, no problem.

I must say that I am disappointed, although it's much more important to have stable computer than having 2x, which I perceive very little if any performance hit in games. Does anyone know why Abit mobo have so many problems with G400 or cards from Matrox in general as I've also heard many people in murc having same problem with Abit and G400? Do either Matox and Abit acknowledge the problem and working on it?

BTW how do you change IRQ for G400 and for SBLive? I try to manually change them in Device Manager but it wouldn't allow it.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X